Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: "More Mature Stories" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Out of curiousity how many comic book writers have made it "big" in Hollywood?"

There's Mark Millar. It's interesting how he uses comics as a mobile platform for his Hollywood ventures, instead of just a stepping stone.

From what I can tell hes just adapting his comics work

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Begging the question:  If the Heroic Age starts now, what the hell "age" has it been at Marvel (who publish, ya know, super-HERO comics) for the past decade?

---

Same age they're in now - The Dying Age. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

Does anyone else currently working for the Big 2 feel the same way youdo? If so, have they spoken out against this kind of crap? Have youheard any news about the parent companies of the Big 2 expressingconcern about the content of the comics that their comic book companiesare currently putting out?
---
I know this question was posed to JB but I do know for a fact that Darwyn Cooke has spoke out against the content being put in today's books in an interview.

Similar to what JB said about the Batman books, how do you know which book is all ages and which isn't? I've been picking up the various Avengers titles since the "Heroic Age" started and the Avengers itslef seems ok. But that's just the first issue. But, at the begining of Secret Avengers, Black Widow and Valykrie are posing as whores so they can get a dangerous package away from a scumbag. The Thunderbolts is back to being a team of shady "heroes" and villians with a second chance and is certainly not an all ages book. I could pick thru the books for my kids because I read them. A parent who doesn't read them, looks at a book cover that contains inappropriate material and sees "The Heroic Age" on the it and would (I think) assume it's ok for his kids. Once that parent discovers the content, they're likely to never pick up another comic for their kid again. Well, flush one more reader down the toilet.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 4  

Reading all of the above, and remembering some of the things that've turned me off on American superhero comics in recent years, I find myself asking this question more and more often: "What's it gonna take to end it all?"  Perhaps a major economic depression and the total loss of profit for the industry would be a good thing.

Score one for those of us now taking matters into our own hands and taking up the pencils and pens to work on our own stuff!

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 5  

nt

Edited by Robert Walsh on 13 June 2010 at 5:39am

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 6  

Begging the question:  If the Heroic Age starts now, what the hell "age" has it been at Marvel (who publish, ya know, super-HERO comics) for the past decade?

The Garb Age?

IMP.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

When I got on the elevator this morning, on my way to the gym, a little boy with his father pointed at my T-shirt and said, "Soooperman!" It reinforced for me again just to whom these characters -- Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, The Hulk -- truly belong. I remember being that age and loving the world of imagination, epic myth, and battles of good triumphing over evil that these stories offered. They were an escape from the real world. Now, regrettably, they are like episodes of "Law & Order" with stories "ripped from the headlines."

When I read comics now -- mostly comics from that bygone period -- I want the escapism. When I want the real world, I have a plethora of volumes on World War II and Tudor history to enjoy.

We used to live in a world of burgers and malts and filet mignon and baked alaska and someone attempted to merge the two. The result is like the ending of "The Fly."
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

We used to live in a world of burgers and malts and filet mignon and baked alaska and someone attempted to merge the two. The result is like the ending of "The Fly."

••

And that happened principally because the people attempting to make the merge were skilled ONLY at producing burgers and malts (and in latter years, not very good ones), and the target audience lacked the sophistication to know the difference.

Frank Carchia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 9  

The Garb Age?

I'd say that sums it up, Ian.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

Mike Norris wrote:
Out of curiosity how many comic book writers have made it "big" in Hollywood?

Marty Pasko wrote for a variety of TV series in the 80s, including Buck Rogers, Simon and Simon, Roseanne, and Max Headroom. 

Cary Bates worked on the 1988-92 Superboy series, and also co-wrote the film Christoper Columbus:  The Discovery.

I suppose Mark Evanier should count too, though he developed his career as a TV writer pretty much simultaneously to his career as a comic writer, unlike the above guys who started in comics and then switched to TV/film.  Evanier did start as a comic writer (for Gold Key) but within a year or two of that he was also writing for TV.  I believe his first major TV job was as a story editor on Welcome Back Kotter.

Roy Thomas co-wrote screenplays for Fire and Ice and the second Conan film with Gerry Conway, and also has written for animated series.  Steve Gerber wrote an episode of Star Trek TNG and also had an extensive career as writer/producer of various animated series. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 13 June 2010 at 6:43pm

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

So pretty much no one.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2010 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yeah, doesn't seem to be the best way to get into the movie biz.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version