Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 59 Next >>
Topic: When I Wore a Younger Man’s Clothes - 05.24.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2011 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I wonder if anyone has asked John to do a piece like this but for the original X-Men series from #1 up until it was "cancelled".   That would be a great line-up of characters (including the Avengers)!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 January 2011 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I wonder if anyone has asked John to do a piece like this but for the original X-Men series from #1 up until it was "cancelled".   That would be a great line-up of characters (including the Avengers)!

••

That would be a fun piece -- tho, like this one, I would avoid including "guest stars" as things might become too crowded!!

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I wonder what the record is for "most characters in a single piece of art"?  I'm thinking that either you or Mr. Perez would be the record holder, JB.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I wonder what the record is for "most characters in a single piece of art"? I'm thinking that either you or Mr. Perez would be the record holder, JB.

••

Hard to imagine anyone ever beating this piece of George's. . .

And, again, notice how well BALANCED it is!

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of planning that has to go into a piece like this.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

For most characters in a single piece, Perez himself may have beat that one: 

This cover for the Ultimate Crisis on Infinite Earths, pencilled by Perez and painted by Alex Ross, has every character that showed up in Crisis (so they say; haven't gone thru to verify it, because I value my sanity).

Again, totally balanced as a wrap around cover.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Many thanks to JB and Andrew for those images.  Wow!  I am reminded yet again of why Perez is right up there just behind Our Host as my favorite artist.  How do you guys do it?  It is just like _magic_ to me.  

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2011 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Good question, Tony...

How do you approach the giant group shots, JB? I picture you making a check list and placing a few figures mentally on the page to balance it out... but I have no idea what your actual process is. Not sure how much planning you really do. I've never drawn anything that huge!

I remember you said you started with the wheelchair for this X-Men piece...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 April 2011 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

How do you approach the giant group shots, JB? I picture you making a check list and placing a few figures mentally on the page to balance it out... but I have no idea what your actual process is.

••

For the three that I have done so far -- the FF, lo these many years ago, the X-Men and the Avengers -- I lay in a horizon line, from which I work out a rough perspective grid (to which I know I will not be absolutely married), and then I start front and center and go back and forth to each side of the front "row", then repeat for each subsequent row.

These are loose "balloon figures" to start, and when they are all placed, I go back and tighten them up.

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2011 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The curious thing about the coloring of the FF Universe poster is that although the characters are from the first 100 issues of the series, the the FF are wrongly colored in their black/dark blue and white or "negative" uniform post Negative Zone Saga!

Where have you found this coloured version? 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As near as I can tell, Nathan's requirement for appearing in this piece was that a character must have actually participated in a story, which Bobby did not.

Poor Madrox, with the first of his many and future duplicates' deaths (with X-Factor and specially with the X-Corp in the New X-Men), doesn't he merit a small spot in the X-Men piece?

About the Avengers piece, it's incredible!!! It includes the Elements of Doom, the Chthon-possessed Wanda and the Grey Gargoyle with the "rocky monster" form. I find some missing characters: Guardians of the Galaxy, Carina, Whizzer, Falcon, Two-Gun Kid, elder Cotati (Mantis' husband), Jarvis, Nuklo, Arsenal, Daredevil... Are they left out for the limit of characters or because they weren't on the list of wanted characters?  

It would be great to see one piece of the Defenders. Imagine it including all the Defenders-for-a-day and the villains simulating being Defenders. It could be a nightmare to include so many characters!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2011 at 10:35pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Manuel: Poor Madrox, with the first of his many and future duplicates' deaths (with X-Factor and specially with the X-Corp in the New X-Men), doesn't he merit a small spot in the X-Men piece?

---

I was kinda runnin' outta cash and I kinda don't like that Multiple Man costume.

As a kid, I thought it was really busy -- hard to look at. Not sure who designed it... feels like someone was trying to do "Kirby".

<< Prev Page of 59 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version