Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 59 Next >>
Topic: When I Wore a Younger Man’s Clothes - 05.24.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Some rather extreme foreshortening on Mjolnir there.
Back to Top profile | search

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The JB portion of that jam is sweeeeeet!  I'd love to have that on my wall.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The JB portion of that jam is sweeeeeet!

••

Typical of just about anything from that period, it just makes me CRINGE!!

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I love softness you gave to Colossus' face (even though it's metal).  Really highlighted to me that he was supposed to be an innocent/noble character.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Count me as a read who absolutely assumed that page from #136 was a preview of the guest stars for #137. I thought to myself, well, if Doctor Strange is asking what meaning this "great mystic power" of "passion" and "evil" could have for him, how could he not seek it out? And, if Reed Richards discovered a power to rival Galactus suddenly and inexplicably manifest itself on earth, wouldn't he be doing everything in his power to track it down, analyze, and deal with it? Not sure what Spider-Man would have done, but, as noted, the Silver Surfer that he must aid her. The writing really threw me for a loop. 

If I remember correctly, when the universe kinda went "blip" in the M'Krann (sp?) Crystal episode [JB's debut with the X-Men, nu?], there was a similar page that showed the reactions of various superheroes and scientists, but I don't recall reading those and thinking there would be any involvement in the X-Men storyline.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If I remember correctly, when the universe kinda went "blip" in the M'Krann (sp?) Crystal episode [JB's debut with the X-Men, nu?], there was a similar page that showed the reactions of various superheroes and scientists, but I don't recall reading those and thinking there would be any involvement in the X-Men storyline.

••

That may have been because that quick cut to people reacting was very early in the issue, and, indeed, the storyline ENDED in that issue. So there was no reason for anyone to show up later. (Perhaps Marvel can do a 14 issue macroseries, taking 3.5 years to publish, showing all the heroes on Earth zooming off to investigate the crystal, only to arrive too late!)

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

...this reminds me of the story where Shooter made JB redraw the cover to issue #113...

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nathan,

That image reminds me of the HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY book where they would show a scene done in other comics and then show the same scene done The Marvel Way!  The image above would be the Other Guys version of X-Men 1 of course.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Poor disco dancing Marvel Girl.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Here's a fun Terry Austin story...!

From the X-Men Companion II (Fantagraphics Books, Inc. 1982)...

SANDERSON: I heard Chris (Claremont) say that for a while they were thinking of doing as many scenes with Storm as possible in which she didn't wear a cape because you didn't like inking it.

AUSTIN: I heard that. I mentioned it to John one time: "Gosh, you know, that cape." First of all, I dip my pen in that ink bottle and look at the cape, and then I have to figure out, should I try to do those long curves freehand or should I get out the French curve and sit down there and rule them out so the line is perfect and doesn't waver [laughter]. Making up my mind as to which way to do it was probably harder than actually doing it, but it was just like "Oh, that cape!" [laughter]

SANDERSON: Which way did you end up doing it most of the time?

AUSTIN: Most of the time I think with freehand, I don't know why I do the things I do half the time [laughter].

SANDERSON: Intuitively.

AUSTIN: But I guess John took it to mean that if he didn't lose the cape I was really going to be unhappy, but I was just making a joking comment. "Oh, the cape, John, my God..."

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Joe: That image reminds me of the HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY book where they would show a scene done in other comics and then show the same scene done The Marvel Way!

-------

You're right-- it does! :)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2010 at 3:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

…I guess John took it to mean that if he didn't lose the cape I was really going to be unhappy…

••

Nope.

I remember only one discussion with Terry about Storm's cape, and that was in reference to the zip-a-tone he put on it. Since Dave had hadn't used that effect, keeping the white areas white, it looked wrong to me, and I asked Terry to stop doing it, please. He said "But I like it!"

And that was the end of that!

<< Prev Page of 59 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version