Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: Fighting for Ignorance (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Those kids who were wearing the American flag were doing it simply to piss off the kids of Mexican descent. Just like the douche who took down a Mexican flag in his school and then threw it away, all the while acting like he did it to defend our flag.

Simply doing something to piss on someone elses heritage should not be held up as a shining example of patriotism.

And in one of the more shocking moments of my life, I agree with Albert Matthews last post.

Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

To me the most offensive thing about the flag T-shirt dealio is the automatic assumption that there's going to be trouble.  Our educators are so scared of the repercussions of their inactions that they now overreact to everything.

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

"what I hope no one condones is the absolutely absurd way in which certain people responded to Ebert's criticism.  Instead of making it a point of discussion, certain segments of the right immediately started doing what?  Making fun of Ebert's cancer and in one particularly ugly remark wished that he would die already."

Wow - and I hear the left is ugly and aggressive.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

That's what gets me, Al.  I'm sure someone will pipe up and say that although they are on the right, these people don't speak for them...althewhile saying that the left, as a whole, is ugly and aggressive. 

Pot meet kettle.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

Kevin: To me the most offensive thing about the flag T-shirt dealio is the automatic assumption that there's going to be trouble.  Our educators are so scared of the repercussions of their in actions that they now overreact to everything.

In one of our local high schools there was an incident that happened, that as the facts came out, completely changed the way you looked at the events.

A kid that was from Vietnam attacked a star athlete in the hall at school with the claw end of a hammer.  Popped him in the back of the head when he wasn't looking.  The kid was charged and found guilty of the assault.  But as the facts started coming out, the kid who got hit wasn't an innocent victim.

Over the school year this star athlete had harassed and stalked this kid from Vietnam. They believe the athlete had sliced the kids car tires, verbally attacked him every day and would push his head into anything the kid was near. Their were threats made to the kid from Vietnam about his younger brother being hurt. All were reported to the principle, the school drug their feet on stopping the bully.

The kid from Vietnam had had enough and brought a hammer to school and solved the problem how he saw fit. I personally wished the school had stepped in sooner, so letting these kids work it out on their own isn't always best. I am OK with error on the side of caution.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

Star athletes, at least in my area growing up, rarely had any reprecussions for their actions.  School administrations sometimes side with the more popular cliques.

Violence isn't always the answer but I empathize with what the student from Vietnam endured and can see how he had to take action since the school certainly wasn't going to lift a finger.

Jodi, were there any reprecussions for the administration?  How is the student who was hit doing?

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

I do not think the left or the right have a monopoly on ugly, insensitive or stupid remarks, and we do ourselves a great disservice playing the game that it's only the other side that is "unclean".

Pol Pot, meet Ma Kettle.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Jeremiah the school did a retraining session with their staff on bullying. But no lawsuit was ever filed by the parents of the kid from Vietnam.

The last I heard the kid that was hit, is doing fine.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

I do not think the left or the right have a monopoly on ugly, insensitive or stupid remarks, and we do ourselves a great disservice playing the game that it's only the other side that is "unclean".

------------

And yet it's been in extra innings since as far as I can remember.  Sad.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

Back when congressmen were beating other congressmen on the floor with canes during Reconstruction, people were bemoaning that game. It's nothing new.

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 11  

well, as far as the American Flag T-Shirts go...it just made me laugh...I think they should be free to strut their "American Pride", but informed that acts of Douchiness...tend to have repercussions, and that hall monitors aren't always everywhere....

When I was in High School, after spending 15 minutes of class time in the hallway watching a "Chinese New Year" celebration...my friends and I approached the asst. Principal asking:
"What type of plans were we allowed to make for Gay Pride week, and should we just keep the parade to a small group and etc..."
 he just stammered and hemmed and haaawed until we let him of the hook with a few laughs.

My friends and I also handmade two different types of Shirts for different protest occasions...One was a red sweatshirt with a Hammer&Sickle over the chest, with "The New Bolsheviks"...The other was a white shirt with a stick figure holding a sheperd's crook and a halo over the head...with the legend "item#235 Generic Jesus w/Halo.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

Speaking of ignorance, Don, what the heck is up with Texas and their new textbook format?  They say they're trying to "promote patriotism" and yet they are also reducing the role of Thomas Jefferson due to his support of the separation of church and state. 

<< Prev Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version