Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: Fighting for Ignorance (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:36am | IP Logged | 1  

On the matter of illegal immigrants, there is only one word that has any significance as far as I am concerned: ILLEGAL.

I am not prepared to welcome people of any race, creed, color or nationality, whose very PRESENCE here means they have made a DELIBERATE DECISION to break our laws.

Back to Top profile | search

Albert Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 2  

they have made a DELIBERATE DECISION to break our laws

I totally agree w/that philosophy in theory. Unfortunately, as an Arizona resident who lives on the opposite side of the state from Phoenix, I can tell you that the real concern is how miserable it's going to make the lives of people who are actually here legally. And not just legal Mexicans, either. Our population here is 70% Navajo. I can guarantee you that some power-hungry, redneck cop utterly lacks the capacity to tell the difference between the two.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 3  

…they have made a DELIBERATE DECISION to break our laws…

++

I totally agree w/that philosophy in theory. Unfortunately, as an Arizona resident who lives on the opposite side of the state from Phoenix, I can tell you that the real concern is how miserable it's going to make the lives of people who are actually here legally. And not just legal Mexicans, either. Our population here is 70% Navajo. I can guarantee you that some power-hungry, redneck cop utterly lacks the capacity to tell the difference between the two.

••

Arizona is not my concern, hence my making no specific comment about it. As far as I am concerned, every State is free to deal with the problem as it sees fit.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 4  

This is beginning to read like some of the most appalling Left Wing twaddle I have ever read!

++

Amen.

Far Left Liberalism in this country seems to be taking on an increasingly ugly and aggressive form. People like to paint Republicans and Conservatives as the angry and hostile ones, yet I have never seen such a level of anger and venom that the liberal left is now spewing out at any who don't share their views…

••

Just to be clear -- that "Amen" is followed by statements that are not connected to what I wrote except in the broadest possible terms. Brandon's words are not mine.

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 5  

Thanks for quoting that chunk there, JB.  I needed to get laughing this hard again...

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Just to be clear -- that "Amen" is followed by statements that are not connected to what I wrote except in the broadest possible terms. Brandon's words are not mine.

Yes, I suppose I could have worded that a bit better.

Allow me to clarify to the forum that my "amen" was simply agreeing with JB's post in regards to Mike's statement. 

The rest of my post was my own opinions of Left Wing politics and mine alone. I did not mean to suggest that my words were reflecting JB's (or anyone elses for that matter) opinion on the matter and I apologize if it came across that way.

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 7  

Roger Ebert's solution seems fair.

"Kids who wear American Flag T-shirts on 5 May should have to share a lunchroom table with those who wear a hammer and sickle on 4 July," he tweeted.

Or is it an ugly and aggressive solution?  Perhaps Brandon can enlighten us.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Thanks for quoting that chunk there, JB.  I needed to get laughing this hard again...

And thank you Al for adding so much to the debate. :-)

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Or is it an ugly and aggressive solution?  Perhaps Brandon can enlighten us.

Yes, the idea of that wearing an American flag in America is something to be despised is a very ugly and aggresive concept IMO.

Of course I'm willing to bet that if the situation was reversed and it was hispanic students wearing the Mexican flag on July 4th that were asked to change or leave the school, you would be screaming "racist!"

Bartender, give me a standard and make it a double!

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 10  

Flags, including Old Glory, are SYMBOLS. They are MEANT to be used to rally, rouse, excite, unite and, yes PROVOKE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fair enough, but then let's go one further - this happend at a school, amongst minors - the principal acted to keep order in the school. Is a high school the place where someone should be using the flag to provoke?

It's an unfortunate situation he was put in, but I still agree with what he did.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 11  

Is a high school the place where someone should be using the flag to provoke?

••

Isn't a high school exactly where kids should be learning about this kind of thing? About what the flag means? What it stands for? What it can be used for?

This smells a wee bit like "freedom of expression -- except this time."

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 12  

Yet, if people were displeased at someone wearing a flag of another country on July 4th, they'd be deemed bigoted and censoring someone's freedom of speech.  Wearing a t-shirt is a better alternative than them standing outside with placards calling for people to leave.

<< Prev Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version