Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: Fighting for Ignorance (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 1  

…we've been electing non-straight white christian males to the lower offices for years now, and Geoff is right that electing a person is different then electing rights for people, which, sadly, we're still not doing.

••

This is beginning to read like some of the most appalling Left Wing twaddle I have ever read! Are you really going to sit there dismissing the HUGE advances that have been made in this country, simply because We, the People didn't actually VOTE all of them into effect? Isn't passing legislation to better the lot of the People precisely why we send elected officials into our state and federal governments? And don't we elect those people to think and speak and act ON OUR BEHALF, so that We, the People DON'T have to have an "election" every time something needs to be fixed?

Back to Top profile | search

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

Totally - and look at the appalling Right Wing twaddle that is the response to it - that it's "activist judges" who don't follow the will of the people.

JB - I'm totally with you on this - I'm just saying, as a nation, we're doing good. As individuals, I don't see human nature changing that much.

That's all - I'm on your side with this - just frustrated by fellow man, which is part of the human condition - or at least my human condition!

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

More Amazing Educators!  This one "teaches" geometry and stupidity in simulcast.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

And yet the school isn't going to fire this asshat? One parent actually defended him! Since this happened in Alabama, I think I can safely assume most of the people in the area are Repubs.

I wonder if they would be that understanding if the teacher had been black and talked about assassinating Bush?

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
This is beginning to read like some of the most appalling Left Wing twaddle I have ever read!

Amen.

Far Left Liberalism in this country seems to be taking on an increasingly ugly and aggressive form. People like to paint Republicans and Conservatives as the angry and hostile ones, yet I have never seen such a level of anger and venom that the liberal left is now spewing out at any who don't share their views.

Just try suggesting the idea that securing our borders against people entering it illegally is something that needs to be done. To do so instantly labels you a racist who hates ALL immigrants (especially Hispanic immigrants). 

Don't even bother trying to explain that you support LEGAL immigration and that it's ILLEGAL immigration that you are against. Doesn't matter to the far left, the terms are interchangeable. If you don't support a persons "right" to be here illegally, You are still a "racist" who hates everyone.

And woe betide anyone in this country who has committed the cardinal sin of (gasp!) being financially successful. To the far left, to be prosperous in this country is not something aspire to, but to be condemned and reviled.

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

Brandon Frye's first paragraph above has me laughing so hard I can't get the tears out of my eyes enough to read what else he wrote.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

Then you should get a really good laugh out of reading this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/05/students- booted-from-school-for-wearing-american-flag-tshirts.html

Apparently now our own American flag is "offensive"

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 8  

I think if you use the flag to try to provoke people, that, yes, that's pretty disrespectful to the American flag.

If only conservatives could calculate complex thoughts instead of having furious violent reactions all the time...

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 9  

Just try suggesting the idea that securing our borders against people entering it illegally is something that needs to be done. To do so instantly labels you a racist who hates ALL immigrants (especially Hispanic immigrants).

Don't even bother trying to explain that you support LEGAL immigration and that it's ILLEGAL immigration that you are against. Doesn't matter to the far left, the terms are interchangeable. If you don't support a persons "right" to be here illegally, You are still a "racist" who hates everyone.

----

Just try suggesting that SB 1070 does not go far enough in assuring that racial profiling will not take place, and the right (not even the far right) accuses you of wanting illegals to overrun the borders.

I've been reading the discussions about Arizona and seen people insist that this has nothing to do with racism, then non-ironically start ranting about the "beaners" and the "wetbacks." I've seen people insist that Mexican-Americans should just suck it up and have ID on them all the time, because it's just common sense that since most illegal immigration is from Mexico, police officers should question anyone who looks Mexican. No racism there. Note that I'm not saying that anyone who takes the right's stance on dealing with the immigration problem is racist, but this debate is bringing out the bigots, and rather than playing the victim, acting incredulous, and putting up the blinders when issues of racism come up, people should read the undercurrent and see why there is cause for concern.

I'm a brown-skinned American (who isn't even Hispanic), and I've had law enforcement just assume that I spoke Spanish and started questioning me in it. So I am not sold on the idea that law enforcement will always use good judgment regarding racial profiling. (And yes, I've read SB 1070 and the amendments in HB 2162.) I understand my 4th and 5th Amendment rights, and I think I have a fair understanding, per Hiibel, of what the police can demand of me regarding identification. Do I need to carry my ID with me to prove that I am an American?

Greg Cordier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 10  

Give up, Brandon.  They already drank too much Kool-Aid.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 2:53am | IP Logged | 11  

I actually find such "profiling laws" of illegal immigrants encouraging. As a white European guy capable of faking an american accent, this type of profiling suggests that I can travel to the US, work illegally and get away with it. While the police and immigration authorities are busy trying to deport hispanic or "dark-complexioned" citizens.

Of course the wages are crap, you have no universal healthcare and unions, health and safety and other concerns are not what I would like, so the US isn't that appealing as a job market (at the entry level).

But if I ever felt the urge, at least I know that getting away with being an illegal is easy for people like me in the US.  As long as I don't stay out in the sun too long.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 12  

think if you use the flag to try to provoke people, that, yes, that's pretty disrespectful to the American flag.

••

Flags, including Old Glory, are SYMBOLS. They are MEANT to be used to rally, rouse, excite, unite and, yes PROVOKE.

<< Prev Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version