Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: Fighting for Ignorance (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

Well... that's a bad example. LA has the largest populations of everything because it's one of the biggest cities in America, and what's more, gay rights are voted down pretty much everywhere in America.

No where in America has same sex marriage been brought on by the vote - it's only be enacted because of court rulings or legislative votes.

Basically, Americans don't like voting for gays.

It's ugly, but true.

Back to Top profile | search

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 2  

Basically, Americans don't like voting for gays.

Or Blacks, or Hispanics, or any other minority group.* Which is why I don't think civil liberties should be up for public referendum. Thats how you elect school boards or approve or reject budgets not whether your fellow citizens are afforded the same rights you enjoy.

*I also don't think this is limited to Americans. Human history is wrought with examples of majority groups choosing to discriminate against minority groups.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 3  

Basically, Americans don't like voting for gays.Or Blacks, or Hispanics, or any other minority group.*

••

That's why the last Presidential Election put yet another old White guy in the Oval Office.

Ah, well! Maybe some day!

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 4  

That's why we have yet another old White guy in the White House.

Thats not what I meant. I meant, historically, voters (and I noted that this was not restricted to Americans) don't tend to vote in favor of legislation that would be beneficial to minority groups. That was my point. certainly if one looks at the impact of the 1964 civil Rights Act on the Democratic Party in the south its supported by history. I was addressing votes for legislation (which was what we were discussing) not candidates.

As to candidates obviously, from a racial perspective, we've come along way from 1964. Perhaps in 44 years an openly gay person could run for the highest office in the land. At present I don't happen to believe that if an openly gay man or woman ran for president he or she would be elected. Heck, the potential that Elena Kagen may be a lesbian has been the primary basis for some to question her qualifications as a Supreme Court Justice.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 5  

That's why we have yet another old White guy in the White House.

++

Thats not what I meant. I meant, historically, voters (and I noted that this was not restricted to Americans) don't tend to vote in favor of legislation that would be beneficial to minority groups. That was my point.

••

And Barack Obama in the White House largely (tho not entirely) invalidates that point. Whether Obama eventually proves to be a Great President or a footnote, there is no getting around the fact that the course of History CHANGED when he was elected. A big change? A world altering change? Not yet. But you know what they say about single steps and journeys of a thousand miles.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 6  

Steve D. wrote:
"My knowledge clashes with my perspective in this case, and in the case of Sweden. If asked I would have guessed Sweden to have in the range of 15 to 20 million people but it's actually around 10 million."

We've increased quite a lot in terms of percentages during my lifetime though. When I went to school in the 80s/90s the number of the Swedish population was around 8 million (maybe up to 8.5 millions by the end of secondary high school).  I haven't looks at the stats in quite a while (and I'm assuming you've just done so), but the last time I looked we were around 9 millions (give or take), so obviously there's been a further surge.

Interestingly enough, we're geographically speaking a fairly large country (especially compared to the population).  I can still remember the period when I visited The Netherlands a lot, and noted that this country, which was pretty tiny by comparison geographically speaking, had a population of 15 or 16 million people, almost the double of Sweden's population at that time.  And then add the mind-boggling fact that most of the Dutch population resides in the coastal cities, leaving the eastern parts more of a farmland region.  Stunning.

Incidentally, and while on this Swedish thread drift par excellance, I live in Sweden's second largest city. Yet the population (and that's counting some outer regions that's hardly inner city by a long-shot) is no more than slightly less than 500,000.  
Back to Top profile | search | www

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 7  

I don't agree JB. And the results of Election Night 2008 prove that the election of Barrack Obama did not invalidate my point of majority groups voting against the interests of minority groups. While California overwhelmingly voted for Obama (at a 61% to 37% advantage) those same voters voted for Proposition 8 which prohibited gay marriage (at a 52% to 48% clip).

Obama was not elected for the interests of a minority group. Indeed, his election did not signal any sort of advancement of civil liberties for african americans, any more than Kennedy's did for Catholics. It simply was evidence that as a nation we have evolved to the point where an African-American can be elected to national office.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 8  

The tragedy here is that you are both right - JB is right that Obama's election did change the idea that America only elects white guys to the office of President.

However, we've been electing non-straight white christian males to the lower offices for years now, and Geoff is right that electing a person is different then electing rights for people, which, sadly, we're still not doing.

You both are right on your points - it's just that it's two separate points.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

There are circumstances that helped Obama win the election that far outweighed any disadvatage caused by his race.  For instance, the inability of the preceding President to govern well made the Democrats very likely to win no matter who they nominated.  Still, a few years ago Americans may have gone for a below average white guy over a better qualified minority candidate.

Obama's continued popularity is probably more likely due to his obvious intelligence and ability to articulate his ideas than anything having to do with race.  Some days he sounds like the only person in Washington who knows what they are doing, including those in his own party.  And he certainly seems unaffected by Glen Beck's Nazi accusations!

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

'Ireland has only 5 million people'

---------------------

Yes but the planet seems to have about five billion people who claim to be Irish...

Steve D Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

Only on one day of the year, Dan.

Though it is funny in that I know quite a few people who have a smidgen of Irish blood who for some reason do claim Irish ancestry when asked where their family came from.

My mom has full Irish ancestry, has red hair, light blueish gray eyes and a slightly receding chin with big cheekbones, she looks so Irish that when she visited Ireland people were shocked she spoke with an accent.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 17 May 2010 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

Well... keep in mind that, thanks to the famine diaspora, there literally are more Irish in American than Ireland. Not people claiming to be Irish, but actual Irish.

That's kind of mind-blowing.

And on the odd end of the spectrum, I have an Irish name, and in fact, have relatives who came from Ireland, but when asked about my background, I tend to downplay the Irish.

Not because I don't like the Irish, but more so that I know so little about them. I am also part Mexican, and grew up in a Mexican Neighborhood*, with Mexican relatives, so when identifying with an ethnicity, I default to Mexican.

And before anyone gets their panties in a knot, yes, I consider myself an American. I just mean that I know more about the culture, heritage and background of my Mexican relatives than my Irish ones.

*Yes, you young hipsters, there used to be a time, long before you were born, that the Mission Dist. actually had Mexicans in it.

<< Prev Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version