Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: Fighting for Ignorance (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 1  

Hey, Moose Jaw may seem small to you, but it has 3-4 times the population of my home town (which is about the same size in terms of territory) and the distance to such a Big City (by our standards) as Saskatoon is negligible.

From where I'm standing, Moose Jaw would be trading up to the big city.

Though San Diego would still seem a bit more attractive.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 2  

…Moose Jaw may seem small to you…

••

I said nothing at all about the SIZE of Moose Jaw. I addressed only the different experience on would have living there, versus living in San Diego.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 3  

Yeah, I know.  Just wanted to make a funny point about how from my perspective, Moose Jaw may be as large, sprawling, urbane and different to my hometown as San Diego would be to Moose Jaw. Didn't quite work, apparently. 

Not meant as a rebuttal in any way of your original point.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 4  

he is running against the ... "We speak English here" guy...
---
I spent two weeks in Alabama for training one time. Calling the southern slang that comes out of there mouths English is a bit of a stretch.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve D Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

Knut brings up an interesting point for me about the population of Europe, for some reason I know Ireland has only 5 million people but I FEEL like there are way more than that since 5 million is an almost negligible number (I think Canada's 30 million is an almost negligible number in the world scene as well if it looks like I'm picking on Ireland).

My knowledge clashes with my perspective in this case, and in the case of Sweden. If asked I would have guessed Sweden to have in the range of 15 to 20 million people but it's actually around 10 million.

I live in a town that was once small that has now become about 35 000 people, but has also come closer to Calgary and so in some ways is part of that city as well. 1 million people, and yet it's not a particularly big city in the North American perspective. Though, a tanget about perspectives; it takes me 25 minutes to get home from work in south Calgary so not much of a drive but when I invite Calgarians out to Airdrie they tend to think they're going on an expedition when it's actually much faster than getting from one corner of Calgary to the opposite corner. Psychologically much further though.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

So, my two cents? San Diego is a pretty town - geographically pretty,
pretty close to cool towns (LA, TJ Mexico
? But most importantly pretty vacant.

It's a bastion of conservatism, and is filled with people that make
Palin look like a college professor.

I've visited the town literally dozens of times in my life and while it is
an ok place to visit, I would hate living there.

If you can convince your wife to go a little north to the Los Angeles
area, you will be ok, otherwise, stick with Moosejaw.

Brett Wilson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

Politics in Canada and the US are quite a bit different.  Canada is easily more progressive than the US is and far more liberal.  Aside from the national healthcare, Ontario legalized same sex marriage in 2001, making Canada the first country in the world to legalize same sex marriage.  Of course same sex marriage was legalized nation wide 5 years ago in Canada.

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

Speaking of Moosejaw, here's Canadian comic John Wing's "I've Been to Moosejaw" for your listening entertainment.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=93RMPDRpUcc

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

So, my two cents? San Diego is a pretty town - geographically pretty, pretty close to cool towns (LA, TJ Mexico? But most importantly pretty vacant.

It's a bastion of conservatism, and is filled with people that make Palin look like a college professor.

I've visited the town literally dozens of times in my life and while it is an ok place to visit, I would hate living there.

----

I really have to disagree with your assessment. There are indeed strong bastions of conservatives, especially in North County, but overall, I think the city overall is just slightly right of the center. Similar to LA, the coastal neighborhoods and the urban center tend to be liberal areas, with things getting more conservative as you get further into the suburbs. I think Orange County is way more conservative, and it's hippie-ville compared to Central California.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well, Orange County isn't really LA - they are two different counties. Los Angeles County and Orange County.

You'll note I didn't suggest Orange County to Marcel.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 11  

Ontario legalized same sex marriage in 2001, making Canada the first country in the world to legalize same sex marriage.  
---

As much as I love my country, that's not something we can take credit for. I believe that would be the Netherlands in 2001. 

Canada didn't have legal same-sex marriage until 2005. The 2001 cases in Ontario led to it, but it was fought in the courts for years. Ontario didn't have same-sex marriages until 2003 because of the cases started in 2001. By then, the Netherlands had already been legally marrying gay people for a couple years. I don't even think Canada as a nation was third or fourth in recognizing gay marriage. I'm pretty sure at least Belgium beat us to it also. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

Well, Orange County isn't really LA - they are two different counties. Los Angeles County and Orange County.

---

Tell that to the Angels organization!

My point is that San Diego is not as bad as you are making it out to be. It's a mixed bag, sort of like LA. I mean, LA is the county that despite having the second largest gay population in the United States voted Yes on Prop 8.

<< Prev Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version