Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: Fighting for Ignorance (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

Merci, Michael! Vous êtes un homme de bien!

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 20 May 2010 at 5:32pm
Back to Top profile | search

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

I just explained, in greater detail than I should have to whenchatting with adults, how there was no "offended" in this situation,and he relpies asking why they were offended.

Pretty clever,Victor - for a second there I was really thinking you were taking thisseriously, and I was all "Wow! That guy out-anti-establishments evenme! Que cojones, hombre!" But as much as your faux stand on the issueimpressed me, your sly "Ha ha, I was kidding all along" is even moreimpressive.

Mike I mistyped I meant provoke. The word offend was going around so much it was on the brain.  I thought I actually caught it on time.

Basically I think

The kids were jackasses (but within their rights) for using the flag to harass somebody. If that's what they were doing.

I think the Principal is a spineless pussy for banning the flag from an American school.

I think the Pepsi thing was abhorrent and I can't believe that did not make the national news.

Edited by Victor Rodgers on 20 May 2010 at 5:46pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Merci, Michael! Vous êtes un homme de bien!

----

De rien! J'ai besoin de pratiquer mon français.

Jeff Gillmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Oh, and Jeff, at the school you attened, there was a list of items thatyou could wear and not wear?"

No the only rule was that the loincloths had to be long enough to cover the naughty bits, but not so long as to get in the way when running from the dinosaurs.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

Now, that's the Victor I know and love!

I admire your passion for fighting the system - I'm usually with you on that one.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

Ha! At my school, in San Francisco, we had to wear dresses that went below the knee, which made it rough when we were getting a good tree-hug on - hard to wrap your legs around that tree with a dress in the way.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

Matthew - I don't like the word "offended" because it's so politically and culturally loaded - it's less an actual reaction anymore and more a boogey man term (original used by left wing comedians to justify their dick jokes, till it was co-opted by South Park to justify their poorly thought out right wing political rants and diatribes) - I don't know anyone who is actually "offended" by anything anymore - but I constantly hear that the Straight White Male Christians of America are so oppressed and put-upon because what they do might "offend" someone.

"Offend" who? It's not a real term anymore - it's just an excuse, a loaded word tossed around to elicit sympathy.

If people reporting the story say the administrator was "offended" or acted to prevent people from being "offended" it's because they're just using tha word that's in their heads thanks to constant repitition in the media, not because that's the word that accurately describes the guy's reaction or motivation.

Do you have an answer for my points about the school having American flags up all over the place, or how those kids weren't wearing the flag on other days? Context matters, Matthew.

Victor's right, really - the kids were pricks for being passive agressive little shits, but more, the administration should have let the kids handle it themselves. Now the punks are media-approved martyrs. Had the other students just beat the holy shit out of them, they would have learned not to poke the tiger with the stick. At this point, the punks probably still think they were correct in their actions.

I think my context note goes a long way - you sincere about immigration? Let me see you building a border to Canada, too. You really care about immigration, let me see you out there picking that fruit or scrubbing those toilets. You love the flag? Wear it every day, not just days where other people are celebrating something.

Otherwise it's all just trying to get a reaction, which I think is something that just irks me personally.

Jeff Gillmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Who was offended?

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

Mexican Heritage Day?  This is the first time I've heard of Cinco de Mayo described that way.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

Just goes to show, the school isn't doing a very good job of educating the kids!

(By the by - again, her quote doesn't use the word, the person writing the article did, but I'll give that one half-credit, since the girl in question also revealed that she's a moron in her next sentence.)

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

I emailed a friend of my son's that is in the military and asked what his feeling was on this matter, he explained some in the military get very offended that the flag is used for clothing and he sent this to me:

Title 4, USC Chapter 1, Section 4(d) states: The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

Furthermore, Section 4(j) states: “No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.”

Oh and also the fact I leave my flag out all night in a unlighted area, that's wrong too. :0(

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 20 May 2010 at 7:07pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

Am I the only one who wouldn't care if someone wore a Mexican flag (or other country) shirt on the Fourth of July?

Sometimes having thicker skin really is a good thing.  This whole thing wouldn't even be an issue if the admin. and the students that these kids were trying to get riled up would have just ignored it and moved on.

I, of course, do not condone someone instigating a situation just to do it.  That is being a dick and that action should be called out.

I would say that any person on any day should be able to wear a flag shirt of any country that they want.  No biggie not hurting my life one bit.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

Jason high school kids are sometimes uncontrolled idiots, I was a sub for years, they are nearly animals that look for reasons to start fights. :0)

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 20 May 2010 at 7:10pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version