Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: Fighting for Ignorance (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

Second, who do you know that wears a flag shirt anyway? On a holiday or no? What lousy fashion sense! How gaudy and tacky! You really wear a Maple Leaf shirt? Why?

Gosh, maybe I'm out of the loop, but I don't see wearing the national colours as such a big deal. On the Maple Leaf front, one of my favourite t-shirts says "Hockey is Canada" on the front and "Canada is Hockey, Period" on the back with the Hockey Canada Maple Leaf logo. I've got a half-dozen Team Canada hockey sweaters that I love to wear when the mood strikes. This last winter when I was up in Canada just prior to the Olympics, I could not resist the turtle neck Canadian Olympic sweater, which looks like the tunic from Captain Canuck.

It gets worse, Mike. I've got a couple of American Flag T-Shirts, too. My absolute favourite -- which was worn to threads and has now sadly become a yard work shirt -- was an awesomely cool Smithsonian Museum shirt that I got back in 1999. The kids have looked for a replacement the last couple of years during their Grade Eight trips to Washington, but no joy.

It's not just flags. When I was at the Nixon Library just a few weeks back, I bought myself a Declaration of Independence tie. Understated and very snazzy!

Back to Top profile | search

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't care too much now. Though im appalled by the Pepsi school thing.

But the flag deal falls within reason. If they were wearing a shirt that said "I hate spicks" that crosses the line of within reason. A flag does not. I can't imagine any other government building getting away with the bull plop schools do.  What im saying is their are limits to the administrators power. Going back to my day at least they have this attitude they are above the rules. That they are these state funded pocket dictatorships. 

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

Mike, here's a photo of BC Premier Gordon Campbell wearing one of those turtle neck sweaters that I happily bought before Christmas at the Hudson Bay. Maybe I have no fashion taste, but I like it, and it's sure nice and warm.

(Although, I must admit, I like Cindy Crawford in Canadian mittens much better...)

Jeff Gillmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

"You can't do or say any thing you want. Not in school, not on the John Byrne Forum, not at your local bar, not in your house of worship, no where in this country."

Actually, you can.  You just need to be prepared to deal with the consequences of your actions.  People, in general, know what's acceptable to say when and where because of established rules and guidelines.  The principal changed the t-shirt rules without notification.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

"You can't do or say any thing you want. Not in school, not on the John Byrne Forum, not at your local bar, not in your house of worship, no where in this country."

Actually, you can.  You just need to be prepared to deal with the consequences of your actions.

Oliver Wendell Holmes said it best: "The right to swing my fist stops where the other man's nose begins."

We can dicker about passive agressiveness and intention and motivation for wearing an American flag t-shirt to school on Cinqo de Mayo, but I believe it's an overreaction to take offense at an otherwise inoffensive article of clothing.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm sorry, but again, who was offended?

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh, and Jeff, at the school you attened, there was a list of items that you could wear and not wear? That's pretty bizarre. Every school I ever atteneded or worked at the rule was just to not wear do or say things that would provoke.

It's kind of sad if you need a specific list of items to wear or not to wear.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

The principal. 

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm sorry - I missed that quote. Would you provide it for me?

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

That exact word, Victor. "Offended". Where did he say it. He must have, since so many keep repeating it, but I didn't see it.

I'm probably wrong here, but if so, show me how. Show me that exact word out of that guy's mouth, Victor.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

Either he was offended or he assumed Hispanic students would be offended.  

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

Oh, and Jeff, at the school you attened, there was a list of items thatyou could wear and not wear? That's pretty bizarre. Every school I everatteneded or worked at the rule was just to not wear do or say thingsthat would provoke.

Every year I was in school the student handbook had a list of banned clothing.

<< Prev Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version