Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Supermans - 04.16.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There are trades that reprint the post-MOS Superman in publication order. They contain Superman, Action, and Adventures of Superman (by Wolfman and Ordway). I don't think they've made it all the way through the run though. Not sure if they're still coming out.

Edited to add:  They fall under  the SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL series and the highest volume I see on Amazon is #6 which wraps up the first year of the post MOS Superman. That came out 2 years ago so I assume the series has been abandoned.

Edited by Mike Farley on 16 April 2010 at 7:35pm
Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Cool Mike, thanks for the good news/bad news bulletin.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Before Man of Steel came out Superman had become a rather distant god-like figure; he was more of an institution than a character. He was a "cold" ideal that might not have a lot of relevance to a human reader. It was not easy to imagine what Superman was thinking even as you read his thoughts. He was weird. And he could move planets around casually unless a there was a plot element in place to prevent that. Too often when someone wanted to put a dent in that godlike facade they ended up making Superman look like a flake. 

In my opinion John Byrne's miniseries restored some much needed drama (look! He's STRAINING to lift that ship! The nuke actually stunned him and put some marks on him!)  to Superman. Yet Superman was still incredible enough to impress us, and even he seemed to be astounded at finding out just how high his new limits really were. 

Man of Steel also settled the whole 'Clark vs. Superman' idea in a VERY realistic and obvious way. Clark was no longer a doofus that Superman used to infiltrate the human race. Yet he also wasn't overly aggressive or vain. He was genuinely good at writing. He had a certain point of view. He had goals. He had ways of doing things that served him well. He belonged.  This all made him seem more approachable and "familiar". He had a real personality but was still portrayed as a kind and decent person with a bit more moral fiber than the normal person might have. 

Superman was his PR face and his public service mode. It was what he did for US because he loved being a human being and wanted to contribute to preserving the world that allowed him to lead his life. he knew that other people loved their lives as well and that he could be of great value to them if used his power to protect and assist them. He wasn't some faultless alien sentinel. He was truly invested in what he was protecting. (He's ALSO a client!) He saw himself as a human with super powers and not a super being that needed to feign humanity to better keep watch over it. Besides all that he was both fallible and very inventive with dealing with his limitations. (Can't see through lead? Hmmm. Where doesn't large amounts of lead belong in common civil engineering?! Ah! THERE!)

You could see yourself becoming much like this new Superman in your outlook if you worked at it and followed the example he set. That made him an improvement over the previous versions in my book. 

I think that the 'Man of Steel' Superman is a LOT like the 'New Look' Batman in terms of fixing what was broke, cleaning off the dross and detritus, and preserving the essential core while doing so. Anytime a new take on Superman comes out (say in an animated series or whatever) Man of Steel is what I compare it to. To me it is the gold standard for Superman (even without the Supermobile flying around in the background).

Edited by Emery Calame on 16 April 2010 at 8:23pm

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The perfect commission:  JB's Superman and Adams' Batman on the same page. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well said, Emery.

Friedrich Thorben
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2010 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
Man of Steel also settled the whole 'Clark vs. Superman' idea in a VERY realistic and obvious way. Clark was no longer a doofus that Superman used to infiltrate the human race.

I don't know who often that gets repeated but the pre-crisis Clark kent was definitely not a doofus. Don't confuse him with Donner's version.

That said, I prefer the pre-crisis version. Just more iconic and more mythological quality.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2010 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"the pre-crisis Clark kent was definitely not a doofus."
--

True. The key word is "mild-mannered", which the current writers seem to have forgotten. It seriously grates me to see Clark portrayed as a doofus.
And although JB modernised Clark a bit, I still feel he very much kept in line with the term "mild-mannered".

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2010 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Friedrich it very much defends on where you set your pre-crisis bar. Clark definitely gets played as a doofus from time to time before the crisis and even after but before MOS. And that is NOT just Donner's Superman. Portrayal of Clark as a doofus, a coward, or even a self absorbed Jack Benny-ish heel goes back to some of  the earliest days and this illusionary fumbling of Superman trying to relate to his "pals" is part of the tradition of Clark Kent that needed to be chipped loose in a big way. 

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Getting back on track, somewhat: JB is the greatest living Superman artist, I'll grant you that; the greatest of a great bunch - Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Tom Grummett, Kerry Gammil, Bob MacLeod, etc. - but the greatest of all time?  Sorry, JB, but even you must take a back seat to the late, great Curt Swan.  Somehow, given your admitted admiration for him, I don't think you'll mind.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Michael, what criteria are you using to come up with Curt Swan?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2010 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

She first appeared in a AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Annual.
---
Now I'm gonna haveta dig through some boxes in the garage so I can reread
the darn thing!
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version