Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Will comics ever get over Watchmen? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 1  

Preach mode on:

As an aside, can we all agree that rape be discontinued as a story point/plot contrivance/instigating event in comics, unless the person writing said comics has some understanding of the dynamics, effects and true horror of rape.  To make the rape of a female character another type of violence that the male superhero must face is demeaning and offensive. 

It bothered me in both Watchmen,and Battlestar Galactica, for the fact that it was done to be shocking and/or groundbreaking.  It's quite sad when writers can't match something like Law & Order: SVU in sensitivity and awareness.

It is time to figure out the difference between things like danger and peril, instead of violence.

edited for spelling

Edited by Phil Southern on 05 March 2010 at 2:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2010 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

Rick wrote:
Andlet's not forget that issue of LOEG, where the Invisible Man raped ateenage girl on panel at an all girl school/home.

Yeah, I read about that; evidently, it it was Pollyanna. And apparently Hyde (who is a hulking monster, for some reason) avenged her by raping the Invisible Man .

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

I don't remember Hyde doing that ...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2010 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

Not to be pompous, but I don't think it's fair to label Moore as some kind of misogynist. I think his bent is that women are focal nurturers as mothers/lovers, and their deformation spears right into the heart of a sick society. Women are  nature's extensions, while men are trapped by their unnatural cities, highways, and the ethics inherent in them. The greatest crimes are against nature and, thus, women. What ugliness is perpetrated against women comes from "society", which Moore, particularly as a Wiccan and a Brit, sees dominated by males.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hyde rapes and murders the Invisible Man.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2010 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think Chad has it right. I don't see Moore's work as misogynist. That's certainly not how I read his Swamp Thing -- Abby suffers, to be sure, but she hardly seems to be an object of Moore's hatred.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think Chad has it right.

It is easier to choose to believe mumbo jumbo than to accept a blatant and repetitve element in Moore's work. Lots of other creators have produced countless comics without once showing women getting raped and assaulted.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged | 8  

WATCHMEN was one story. I liked it, but It is not the only story.  The people pulling the strings need to move on.  Same goes for DARK KNIGHT RETURNS.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 9  

At least the Watchmen movie failed at the box office. And DC's probably sitting on warehouses full of unsold Watchmen tradepaperbacks. If Watchmen marked the start of three decades of superhero deconstructionism, then perhaps the Watchmen movie has signaled the end. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 06 March 2010 at 12:54am

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 1:21am | IP Logged | 10  

Well going by the pic that I started this thread with, I'm going to have to say no it's not the end.

Mike Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 11  

At least the Watchmen movie failed at the box office.

===

Watchmen had a budget of 130 million. It made 107.5 million in North America, an additional 77.7 million in foreign markets for a total of 185.2 million. Not a box office smash to be sure, and less then I'm sure hoped, but I don't see it as a fail. It also sold 51.4 million in DVD sales.

And DC's probably sitting on warehouses full of unsold Watchmen tradepaperbacks

===

The trailer for Watchmen came out in July 2008. Watchmen sold 308.3 thousand books total in 2008 and 424.8 thousand books in 2009. That's just paperbacks and doesn't include hardcover or absolute editions. It was easily number 1 both years in sales. To compare, the second highest selling TPB in 2009 sold 68.6 thousand books.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 3:23am | IP Logged | 12  

"Well going by the pic that I started this thread with, I'm going to have to say no it's not the end."

I know what you mean. It feels like we're still in the thick of it. Perhaps it's the beginning of the end.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version