Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Will comics ever get over Watchmen? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 1  

"All-Star Batman... well, you can enjoy it as long as you DON'T like Batman."

That's the template for much of DC's current offerings.

Action is great, if you don't like Superman.

Detective is great, if you don't like Batman.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 2  

Hyde rapes and murders the Invisible Man.

I only remember the killing part...

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 3  

I think it comes down to this - Moore has a schtick.

For the most part, he's one of those guys that takes other peoples' creations and uses them in ways never intended by the original creators. Everything from the League series to Lost Girls to Swamp Thing and Watchmen is a re-imagining of someone else's creations. Even V for Vendetta is 1984 in comics form, and From Hell adapts a series of articles about Jack the Ripper. My particular view is, you either accept that and enjoy his stories for what they are, or you write him off as a hack who can't be bothered to build his own toys. 

I happen to enjoy them for what they are, in most cases. Watchmen and V particularly give me a lot of enjoyment, and I'm really digging the horror elements of his Swamp Thing in hardcover form. My main problem isn't with Moore, it's with the people who try to copy what he does. It's fine if one or two guys occasionally creates an analogue or a pastiche of existing works, every form of media has that. The problem is, because Moore's work was successful there are TOO MANY people doing it, and they're doing it with EVERYTHING.

Now, everyone wants to re-imagine a character how they see fit - and comics cannot work that way. We've seen these past couple of decades what it does to the medium when artists and writers choose to work that way. Everyone has seemed to forget Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and Wally Wood, Gil Kane and Joe Simon. No one wants to actually make new things anymore, they all just want to break someone else's things

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 4  

There is no one actively fighting against the government in 1984.  There are certainly some things in common with Orwell's novel, but to say V for Vendetta is 1984 in comics form is not right.

And as for Jack the Ripper, I don't think there is a single writer in the world that could create a story without references to real life. And that means you can say whatever it is you want about Jack, even the case files are public domain now.  

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 5  

"No one wants to actually make new things anymore, they all just want to break someone else's things. "

I think a lot of that has to do with the reluctance to take risks. Perhaps the comic book market has grown far too small, far too prejudiced for creators and publishers to come up with new stuff.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 6  

I like to think of Watchmen as the old Daffy Duck bit where, to impress a casting agent, he gorges himself on gasoline and dynamite and then explodes.

It's a great stunt, but you can only do it once.  Watchmen was too influential for comics' own good.

Back to Top profile | search

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 7  

One of the ironies of Watchmen, it was done to allow Moore to be able to take his ideas and run with them AND also protect the Charlton heroes as by the story's end, most of them would be left unsalvageable. Now, DC seems hellbent to hold Watchmen and its characters sacrosanct while tearing down and destroying the originals.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 8  

Did Moore come up with that formula which consists of a set up page (or two) like this: 

• "In location X: Gross thing #1"
  • "In locationY: Gross thing #2"
  • "In location Z: Gross thing #3"
  • "Everyone is going crazy!"

Milligan used this in the last issue of Hellblazer and it kind of annoyed me LOL. It was more common in the 80s I think. If anyone know what I'm talking about, I totally hate that trick.

QUOTE:
But yet every fan boy knows every detail of Moore's work and has bought it up like a crach addict buying crack.

What can I say. I liked Swamp Thing when I was a kid. His work is constantly just about the only thing aimed at adults. Of course I gave it a try beyond Watchmen, thinking I'd like it better as I got older, no dice!

I have both issues of Big Numbers for the Bill S art. It is okay, but it suffers from reading exactly like everything else he does a little. It's a bit oozing with sarcasm.

Same with Clowes or Blankets or Mazzucheli or w/e. There's way too much self loathing and nostalgia in comics aimed at adults for my tastes. Of course, I might still give those a try now and then, cause that's all there is being published for "adults".

Edited by Martin Redmond on 08 March 2010 at 8:18am

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 9  

Detective is great, if you don't like Batman.

I have no idea what's going in most DCU titles these days.

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

• "In location X: Gross thing #1"
  • "In locationY: Gross thing #2"
  • "In location Z: Gross thing #3"
  • "Everyone is going crazy!"

Is that one one page, in consecutive panels? I would love to see that!

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 2:24am | IP Logged | 11  

Sorry, Martin - I dont understand the formula.

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

Now, DC seems hellbent to hold Watchmen and its characters sacrosanct while tearing down and destroying the originals.

Destroying as in killing? Farewell Question and Blue Beetle . And I'm not sure if someone else has died ...

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version