Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Will comics ever get over Watchmen? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 1  

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen = loved the concept,hated the execution.  btw, don't stone me, but I kinda liked the movie,in a guilty pleasure sort of way...

I liked the movie, too.

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 2  

It almost seems that Moore confused the classic Hyde with the Marvel version and based his own version on the latter. Or thought that was the classic version and didn't bother to check.

As for the LoEG movie, I thought it was on a level with VAN HELSING.

Bobby Beem
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 3  

If anyone really cares, the Mr. Hyde of LoEG is explained as having increased in strength and size since the years when he was first manifested. To me, this is a pretty transparent gimmick used to turn the character into a Victorian-era Incredible Hulk. Still, the issue is addressed.

If you've read through the extra material in the Absolute Edition, it would become almost impossible to accuse Moore of not knowing the source material. If anything, I would think he's unaware that Marvel has a villain named Mr. Hyde.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I wasn't accusing him of anything. I just said it seemed that way.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 5  

If anyone really cares, the Mr. Hyde of LoEG is explained as having increased in strength and size since the years when he was first manifested. To me, this is a pretty transparent gimmick used to turn the character into a Victorian-era Incredible Hulk. Still, the issue is addressed.

••

How about addressing the little detail that during those "years" Hyde would have been occupied being DEAD?

++

If you've read through the extra material in the Absolute Edition, it would become almost impossible to accuse Moore of not knowing the source material.

••

Which makes the whole thing even worse -- what's the point of setting up a premise (let's take these famous characters from Victorian fiction and team them up) and then ignoring the premise (…but we'll write them out of character and ignore their established "histories").

Moore has made something of a habit of ignoring his own premises, mind you. The widely praised "Man Who Has Everything…" story in SUPERMAN sets up a clearly defined premise -- and immediately ignores it. His reboot/retcon of Swamp Thing began by changing the premise.

Moore reminds me of a complaint I used to make about many of the writers working when I was just getting into the business. Their approach, I used to say, seemed to be "Remember those great stories Stan and Jack and Steve used to do? Let's not do that!"

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 6  

I loved the movie too.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 7  

Anyone who buys and enjoys Miller's All-Star Batman or Sin City is drinking from the same cup as Moore and the sleeze and depravity is overflowing.

----------------------

Good comments, Eric.  This one stands out though.  Sin City is Frank Miller's to do with as he pleases, while All-Star Batman is... also Frank Miller's to do as he pleases - but only because apparently no one's stopping him.

I've got no problems with the former - in fact, I enjoy it very much.  I don't think we should begrudge creators the freedom to do something sleazy with their own creations.

James Malone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 8  

Anyone who buys and enjoys Miller's All-Star Batman or Sin City is drinking from the same cup as Moore and the sleeze and depravity is overflowing.

---------------------------------]

Jesus Christ, Laying it on a bit thick, Eric?

The last thing we need is "the right wing" of comic fans coming out preaching now.

That is just as bad as the moore worshippers.

As proud as you may be of your verbose post, its just a tad too dramatic.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 9  

Anyone who buys and enjoys Miller's All-Star Batman or Sin City
----

They're two entirely different things. Sin City is Miller's creation, so he's free to do whatever he wants with it. It's also clearly an adult comic and not a superhero book.
All-Star Batman... well, you can enjoy it as long as you DON'T like Batman.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 10  

JB wrote:
Which makes the whole thing even worse -- what's the point of settingup a premise (let's take these famous characters from Victorian fictionand team them up) and then ignoring the premise (…but we'll write themout of character and ignore their established "histories").

Agreed. It gets to a point in all these adaptations and re-imaginings (which seem to be the norm nowadays) that the writers might as well make up their own characters.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

It gets to a point in all these adaptations and re-imaginings (which seem to be the norm nowadays) that the writers might as well make up their own characters.

••

Two things are lost when they do that, of course. First is the tailcoating effect, attaching their work to something with a preexisting "marquee value", and second, in the case of things like LoEG or LOST GIRLS, is the automatic presumption of "literature".

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

If violence against women is blatant and repetitive in Moore's work, it's because the man obviously feels like violence against women is the worst thing he can think of.

Perhaps Moore, like so many other men, has an ambivalent, conflicted attitude towards women. I’m sure violence against women is despicable to him on one plane; on another, it might turn him on; it’s an idea.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version