Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Will comics ever get over Watchmen? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

The Monster was also around about 80 years earlier than the time period of LoEG. I suppose, though, that if you can totally misrepresent Hyde as an enormous brute, you could just as well have the Monster be long-lived. Heck, for all, I know (or remember of the book), he was long-lived.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

The sad thing is I would love to see a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that was actually about the heroes fighting various Victorian-esque threats... a penny dreadful Justice League basically: Phineas Fogg, Sherlock Holmes, Professor Challenger, Carnacki, etc. 

==========================================================

That would be a good LOEG, Ed.

Proper Victorian heroes!!!

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 3  

I thought LOEG was a complete travesty. Instead of taking advantage of such a rich cast characters, that could fuel an endless amount of fantastic adventure stories, Moore gave us, rape, drug addiction, rape, sex, over the top violence, cannibalism and more rape.

Moore's BS runs pretty thin with me. He rages on about how Hollywood ruins his works, but yet, for the last ten years or so, all he's done is pervert timeless classics, to fit his stories. He's states that he regrets the 'dark' influence some of his early works have had over the direction of superhero comics, but then he comes out with a comic book that features Mr. Hyde raping and eating the Invisible Man on panel!

James Malone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

glenn, that captures my sentiments towards Moore exactly, too.

What Zack Snyder did with Watchmen is nowhere close to as disparaging or damaging as what Moore did to all those classic literary characters.

When Moore does it, it is social commentary (or some other made up nonsense). Anyone else is a hack... gotcha Alan, you're brillant.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd happily swap the bulk of Moore's output for more of The Ballad of Halo Jones.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think Hollywood has done a better job of making Alan Moore's stuff more mainstream and accessible than he ever did.

At least the characters in the LOEG movie were likeable and heroic.

robert jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

In my opinion of course...

watchmen = boring, no make that BORRRRING!!!!

killing joke = the joke was on me for buying that crap (beautiful art tho)

Swamp Thing = I agree with Chad on this one.  Not a bad horror comic, I haven't read any of the original stuff, so I can't really say if it's on model, but on the whole I enjoyed it.

Tom Strong = I liked it alot

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen = loved the concept, hated the execution.  btw, don't stone me, but I kinda liked the movie, in a guilty pleasure sort of way...

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 8  

Parts of the movie were pulpy fun, but the scene in Venice had so many errors, it threw me out of the movie.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

I thought LOEG was a complete travesty. Instead of taking advantage of such a rich cast characters, that could fuel an endless amount of fantastic adventure stories, Moore gave us, rape, drug addiction, rape, sex, over the top violence, cannibalism and more rape.

Moore's BS runs pretty thin with me. He rages on about how Hollywood ruins his works, but yet, for the last ten years or so, all he's done is pervert timeless classics, to fit his stories. He's states that he regrets the 'dark' influence some of his early works have had over the direction of superhero comics, but then he comes out with a comic book that features Mr. Hyde raping and eating the Invisible Man on panel!

I agree with everything you said. Moore is the worst kind of hypocrite, as self righteous hypocrite.

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 2:09am | IP Logged | 10  

But yet every fan boy knows every detail of Moore's work and has bought it up like a crach addict buying crack.

So he is the world's worst writer but everyone here has bought and read all of his work.

Moore's work is nothing more than a reflection of the fanbase and what they want and crave to buy. If it is so GAWD AWFUL why is everyone buying it in droves? Why has the comic "fan" deified this man beyond all other writers? Anyone who buys and enjoys Miller's All-Star Batman or Sin City is drinking from the same cup as Moore and the sleeze and depravity is overflowing.. This is the Nectar and Ambrosia of the fanboy. No one FORCED people to buy Moore's work. No one FORCED people to continue to read everything this man has done but everyone has and knows in detail comics they claim they hate but ironically know it without flaw.

Moore is really just a mirror to what the 30+ year old "comic fan" is...

These things should be for the kids that just want to see the Hulk beat the crap out of the Abomination for an entire issue. Or for the kids who want to pretend they can fly or shoot laser beams from their hands.

The "Fan" who typically is a white male well over the age to be reading these things should not be the target audience but that is exactly who Moore appeals to and he has had GREAT success in selling his whares to this fanbase... So is Moore really to blame? Or the millions who have lapped it up ad-nauseum? If nobody wants this then it would not sell...But it sells and sells out like crazy and Moore laughs himself all the way to the bank as does Frank Miller with Sin City and All-star Batman where we get to hear Wonder Woman refer to men as walking sperm banks and people here on the board refer to it is the "best Batman title on the market".

Both companies will continue to put out what sells and this is what sells. Fans have only themselves to blame.

Marius Baxter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 4:41am | IP Logged | 11  

Late to the party but the irony is without Moore and his early work on DC's Swamp Thing leading to Hellblazer, Sandman then Vertigo itself coupled with the undeniable success of the Watchmen tpb raising the profile of comics in the mainstream comic shops today would be very different places.

Whether you dislike Moore or are his biggest fan he's certainly in the list of comic creators who have had a huge impact on the industry.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 12  

Tom Strong = I liked it alot
---
I like Chris Sprouse's artwork.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version