Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 170 Next >>
Topic: Healthcare Debate (was: Quesada apologizes) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

So are the teabaggers all people who earn more then a quarter of a million dollars a year? If not then what are they upset about? Their taxes didn't go up. They are THAT concerned about the Rich (who have more and therefore should pay more) being taxed back to a level akin to the 90's when you know, the US economy was an unstoppable juggernaut?
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

Well, given that Brubaker didn't write the "tea bag the liberals" caption, but that when the letterer realized that they had too many signs in the protest scene and needed to come up with something to put in there, just grabbed the first image of a protester he could find and copied their slogan, unaware of the political ramification.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rich Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

So much misplaced "Anger." It is cartoon stuff. Crazy. Transparent and mentally simple. Feels good with nothing to back it.

What's the fuss over the comic? The depicted scenes have signs lifted verbatim from Tea Bag events. So there can hardly be a fuss over those images. And having the Falcon -a black character- say what he said...  could not be more 'on point' for a black character to say. Other than for Michael Steele and perhaps 3 of his closest relatives, 99.999% of Black America would say exactly the same thing as the Falcon. With perhaps one qualifier and that would be, "this PARTICULAR group of 'angry' white people..."

That would be true with or without the issue of race. The fundamental thrust of the tea party movement is antithetical to what the majority of Black Americans believe. The notion of government=bad, the people=good does not fly with Blacks given the history of this nation. For Black Americans the notion of giving 'the people' unfettered freedom is to give 'the people' license to be biased, prejudiced, unjust and self serving. Government, in contrast, has the potential of acting by law, with principle and towards a common good.

The whole tea party movement is viewed by African Americans with a great deal of suspicion. Particularly when the likes of Tom Tancredo attend such events to spout the foolish nonsense that he does. -To applause, no less.

Having the Falcon say anything other than he did would fall into the category of Fiction.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

Marc,

Was the tax rate the only factor for the success of the US economy in the 1990s and thus the cure for ails us now?

It couldn't have anything to do with the peace dividend from the end of the Cold War, the economic decline of Japan, the Workforce Investment Act that got people off welfare and back into the workforce, the overheated dot.com investment bubble or dozens of other issues?

As for the rich -- whom you say "have more and therefore should pay more" -- what qualifies as "rich" in your definition? Do you mean "rich" as calculated by liquid capital, or by investment capital, or by fixed goods capital, or by inventory assets holdings? After all, there's a big difference between the small business owner and a trust fund baby, but depending on how you add the sums both can be equally "rich".

What taxes shall we impose? Shall we have property tax, value added tax, sales tax, payroll tax, health insurance penalty tax, social security tax, worker's compensation tax, federal income tax, state income tax, excess tax, windfall profits tax, fuel tax? I'm certain I'm missing a few... Oh, yeah: business improvement districts, abatement districts, assessment districts, millrates, water management districts, airport improvement fees. That got them all? No, but you've got an idea we've got lots of fishing lines in the pond.

Now what do you want to do with all the money? Lots of different programs and activities, why choose? Let's do it all. Oh, we're a little short. That's okay, we'll borrow the rest and pay it back later. Next year already! Short again? Well, let's borrow some more. Oh, here's a few more good ideas! Short again? Well, let's borrow some more...

Marc, this business is a little bit more complex than "make the rich pay".

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Norris wrote: You have no idea how much I wish you were joking. Yeah, I'm certain Cap would have gotten around to slamming Eisenhower if he'd lasted more than six issues in the 1950s...

No, Cap changes with the times.  In the few issues he appeared in in the 1950s, he was a fascist nut and those appearances were explained away in a later story.

You evidently missed my post from the first page about the title being written by litany young leftists with a political ax to grind. That, unfortunately, seems to be a long-established tradition in the title too.

Yes, that's the point.  It's a long-standing tradition - not sure why people are shocked by it.  You shocked when a snake bites you?

Next, you mention California and to that, I say:  I agree.  Just finished my taxes - I got a bigger than usual refund from the Federal because OBAMA LOWERED MY TAXES but I paid a record high level of taxes to the state because California is filled with morons on the left and half-wits on the right and the end-result is that the citizens are screwed because of it.  I say we scrap the whole State Government and rebuild it from scratch.  FIRE EVERY SINGLE PERSON, burn the state constitution, knock down the state buildings, end all programs, and start over. 

That's the only hope California has - thanks to years of games being played on both sides.  Because it's not as easy as just cutting taxes or just slashing programs.  Bills need to be paid; our tax system in California was screwed years ago by people on the right wanting to end taxes and people on the left wanting more taxes and now we have a government that does both and in the end, we're all screwed.  Tear it all down - burn it to the ground - and start over.  That's what we need there.

Revolution. 

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mike O'Brien,

Are you going to the San Diego Comic Con? We have GOT to get together for a beer...

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

Knut wrote "

I seriously think that no white president would be afforded thislittle respect, this little trust and with no white president would hisactual accomplishments and policies have been ignored to such an extentby even his most vocal opponents.

White presidents get treated like The Boss. It may be a Boss you hate, but you still treat him like a Boss.  Obama gets treated like he's a servant or a janitor or some mid-level flunky."

I have to disagree.  Bush 43 was treated with plenty of disrespect while in office and beyond.  His intelligence was mocked, every achievement in his life was attributed to his father's connections, there were accusations of not fulfilling his National Guard service etc.  Its common policy now to be disrespectful to the President if he is from the 'other' party.  I have no doubt that if Hillary was President, the same protests would be going on, with slightly altered signs.  Not every criticism about Obama is about race.  There is no more respect for a white president than for a black president.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

Any my previous post was not a defense of Bush 43 or his policies.  Rightfully or wrongfully Bush got plenty of disrespect.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

As did Clinton. As did Bush 41. As did Reagan. As did Carter. As did Ford. As did Nixon. As did Johnson. As did Kennedy.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Norris wrote: You have no idea how much I wish you were joking. Yeah, I'm certain Cap would have gotten around to slamming Eisenhower if he'd lasted more than six issues in the 1950s...
Not me, Mike O!

Edited by Mike Norris on 12 February 2010 at 7:09pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

It was me! It was me! (And that comment desperately needed a sarcmark...)

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 12 February 2010 at 7:09pm

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

My apologies Mr Norris!  I was posting fast and not paying close attention.

Matthew, I won't be at San Diego (that I know of, yet!) - I went once a decade ago and it was fun, but not something I need to do regularly.  I'm a nor-Cal guy, and end up at WonderCon most years (even though I say I won't!) - but if you're ever in the north, I'd be more than happy to go for a drink.

<< Prev Page of 170 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version