Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 170 Next >>
Topic: Healthcare Debate (was: Quesada apologizes) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 1  

Jodi,

I believe we're all aware of what happened in Austin.

If we're going to play that game, did David say he worked for the IRS?

(By the way, please note I didn't ask for your thanks for what I contribute to the community good. I get that every two weeks, and I'm the one who is grateful.)

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 28 February 2010 at 3:12pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

OK so there is a time limit on something like that? Because when some Muslims did the same thing, we are still hearing about how soft on terrorist we dems are.

I don't see this as a game at all, there are some sick people out there and your parties need to demonize the federal govt. is really wearing on me.

So teachers shouldn't receive thanks, they get paid, how about firemen?  Well call me weird, I even think the person standing behind that cash register at the grocery store deserves some thanks.

Edited to add:
"If we're going to play that game, did David say he worked for the IRS?"

No but he did say he was a Federal govt employee and last time I checked the IRS is part of the federal govt.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 28 February 2010 at 3:41pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

Jodi,

I'm neither a Republican nor a Tea Party member. They are not "my" parties, thank you very much. (And before you ask, I'm not a Democrat either. I don't hold any party affiliation. As a resident alien, I do not have the right to vote.)

Nor, do I believe, in anything that I have written in this lengthy thread have I demonized anyone. I would very much like you to show me different if that is the case.

Partisanship and cheap debating points, Jodi, do more harm than good. They do not foster good will and they do not engender reasonable debate. And I would hope that intelligent people like us could avoid falling prey to such minutiae.

Forgive me for interpreting your continual references to Joe Stack and his vile attack as a form of gamesmanship, Jodi, but it sure looks that way. But in the face of all evidence to the contrary, if you honestly believe the Joe Stack is representative of those in this country who are concerned about the cost, size and scope of government, I doubt there is any power in my prose that might persuade you otherwise. I would only hope that you might eventually come to the realization that in your disdain toward those who seek to demonize the government, that you are now engaged in an act of demonization of your own.

Now, I could give you a Google list all the shootings that have occurred in City Halls across this country by those who don't care much for government or hold some other grudge against authority. There are far more instances of those than airplane attacks, and often they are far more deadly. And most, like Stack's attack, are done by individuals who -- if you'll permit me to use a clinical term -- are stark raving nuts. Sadly, it's a fact of life that you accept as a public servant, just a bank teller or a convenience store clerk has to accept the possibility of a hold-up.

And finally, Jodi, I would never call you weird for believing those that serve the community in any capacity are due gratitude. I was raised to treat all people with dignity and respect, regardless of their social station. I am thankful for everyone who works to make this country a better place, be they janitor or a policeman or even a common citizen engaged in a peaceful political protest.

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 28 February 2010 at 4:42pm

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

Partisanship and cheap debating points, Jodi, do more harm than good.

You mean like this one that was basically at the beginning of this thread :

Not that political issues are necessarily inappropriate as subject matter for a comic book, but when you've got the material written for the most part by young leftists with an ax to grind, you don't get much balance in the presentation. Such one-sidedness not only risks insulting a portion of your audience, but it makes for pretty poor drama.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jodi,

Truth isn't a cheap debating point. Neither is an observation of reality.

As for partisanship, Mr. Brubaker's politics are rather clear and freely presented not only in his work, but also on posts via his Twitter account. Mr. Englehart's and Mr. Gruenwald's political leanings are similarly obvious to all concerned. I'm not engaging in bias in that statement, Jodi, but recognizing a bias that exists.

Moreover, read a little further down the thread and you'll see Mike O'Brien confirm the fact that Captain America is a comic that seems to only take shots at the right wing. To wit:

"The stunning lack of awareness of Captain America's publishing history with regards to these kinds of stories (Seriously?  Mike Norris and I were the only guys who read Englehart's story where Nixon blows his brains out in front of Cap? Or Gruenwald's story that had Reagan as a snake monster and his cabinet under controll of Nazi's?  REALLY?)"

"Let's be REAL clear here - because this is where you missed my point:  I would not care for that (a storyline showing President Obama in a poor light) because it would be OUT OF CHARACTER for the comic, which has long established roots as a book that only takes pokes at Republican Presidents."

Thus, is it partisan to make that observation? Is it partisanship to recognize reality?

But most importantly, would you care to disprove the assertion: Do you think one-sided political presentations DON'T make for poor drama and DON'T risk insulting a portion of the audience? That, after all, was the point...

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 28 February 2010 at 7:37pm

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

Oh I get it, there is "Matthew truth" and everything else.

You say something and it's the truth, I say something it's "Partisanship and cheap debating points" Awwww I love your hypocrisy.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

Jodi,

Hey, look! Just on a whim I went out to see if I could find some pictures of black people at Tea Party events. Here's a couple. Gosh, maybe the Tea Party crowd aren't all racists after all...

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

Truth

1. Conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
2. An obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.

Matthew "Truth"

Conclusion based on observation, documentation of proven facts, and arrived at by critical analysis. Subject to revision by critical analysis upon the emergence of new data, facts and observations that call earlier conclusions into question.

Jodi "Truth"

?

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 28 February 2010 at 8:35pm

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

LOL

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

Good, I was hoping those pictures would get a much needed laugh!

I was really dreading the prospect of you asking me to find another one. I'm not that good with Photoshop...

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

You forgot a few of them

Scroll down on that page

Seriously these pictures are making the rounds.  Do you have some play book you all read? LOL

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dang, if only I had known about that link, that would have saved me a lot of work! Unlike Mike, I'm not only any mailing lists. (Told you I'm not a Republican...)

As I said, wanting to lighten the mood from more slagging away, on a whim I just Googled "Tea Party Movement" and "Black" figuring there HAD to be a token out there and found the pair of pictures above. There was also this one:

"Look Jodi, gun-crazy tea party black people!" No, that wouldn't have made a very good case...

But, Jodi, how did YOU know about that link? You're not... GASP... one of those Democrats that pretends to be a Republican, are you! The last thing we need is to give Michael any proof for his cockeyed C-SPAN caller conspiracy theory! (Joking! Joking!)

Good grief, if this is a serious effort and if these guys figure they can cleanse themselves of the racist tinge with the equivalent of an "I'm not racist; I have black friends" effort, it's not just amateur hour, it's play-school musical time...

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 28 February 2010 at 9:31pm

<< Prev Page of 170 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version