Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 170 Next >>
Topic: Healthcare Debate (was: Quesada apologizes) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

Holy shit, I was thinking of something else when I read the thread title and wondered how they snuck that in an issue of CA.

No, even Marvel wouldn't go that far yet. However, I'm pretty sure a nude Doc Manhattan did that off-panel to Rorschach.

Back to Top profile | search

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

Thus, the Tea Party Movement isn't a tax revolt in their view, but a racist movement against Obama.

You can argue the point all you want, but they sure as hell weren't protesting when Bush was spending money hand over fist, and cutting taxes. Only once a black liberal Democrat started doing it do they seem to have problem with it. I'm so sick and tired of people painting these asswipes as just good old American loving patriots. They didn't give a fat rat's ass how much Bush spent, so why do they care so much now?

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

Not sure what's more amusing in this thread:

The stunning lack of awreness of Captian America's publishing history with regards to these kinds of stories (Seriously?  Mike Norris and I were the only guys who read Englehart's story where Nixon blows his brains out in front of Cap?  Or Gruenwald's story that had Reagan as a snake monster and his cabinet under controll of Nazi's?  REALLY?)

The fact that Brian Miller dropped a reference to dipping your nuts into another dude's mouth and half the thread totally mis-read it.  (Craig, Paul and Albert got it, though.)

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

No, Kevin - even though they didn't protest it when Bush was in office - they FELT it.  That's what they'll tell you.

But they couldn't say anything because it's not patriotic to protest in wartime and.... wait, I mean, they did say something but the liberal media didn't...no, that's not it either.  They ...uh.  Well...

No, you're right - they're just playing politics.  

STAY CLASSY TEABAGGERS!

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

Oh I think it's gonna be a pretty classy November.  :)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Patrick McNally
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

I still have not yet figured out, in what way does that picture depict teabaggers as racists?  Nutbars?  OK, fine.  But not only was the text of the sign copied directly off of a real sign, but it doesn't actually say anything about blacks.  It's not as if Marvel made up a picture of teabaggers marching with white robes or signs carrying the n-word.  So how does it depict the teabaggers as racist?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Englehart and Sal's Cap will alway be the Captain America for me. I love Stan and Jack Cap and Stern and Byrne too. But as they say, it when yuo first meet the character that sets it for you.

There are tea Partiers that are concerned about taxation, but they also seem to be attracting some fringe elements. The Fringe will often get you the headlines you don't want.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

"I still have not yet figured out, in what way does that picture depict teabaggers as racists?"

It's not simply that picture generating these complaints; reading the issue, the people protesting the wartime reinstatement of 1990's tax rates for people making over a quarter of a million dollars are depicted in that unfavorable light.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

I am no friend of the right-wing. Virtually everything wrong about our country has something to do with them. But I hope out of this Disney will realize that Marvel, the company they bought for it's appeal to the juvenile market, is producing material soley for an adult audience, and approaching adult issues such as politics in a ham-fisted manner. 

Lee Painter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

I apoologize if the title of this topic gave some people the wrong idea, lol.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

Emery,

Sardonic remarks are never better when the need to be explained, but...

As far as many of my liberal friends are concerned, the Tea Party movement is only one small step removed from a pack of Nazi's. Using their words, it's an army of idiots, easily lead by economic anger and race hatred. They're an old fashioned lynch mob only with colorful signs instead of torches and pitchforks.

Obviously, I hold a different view.

The current Captain America storyline about white supremacists piggybacks into that Tea Party / Obama haters motif, certainly using that idea as a subtext.

The conceit is that these protests are invalid and un-American because they are racially based. Yet, if one disagrees with George Bush's policies, are they biased against Texans, or former drug abusers, or graduates of Yale? If you find fault with Hillary Clinton's handling of foreign policy, are you a misogynist and hate all women?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

The conceit is that these protests are invalid and un-American because they are racially based. Yet, if one disagrees with George Bush's policies, are they biased against Texans, or former drug abusers, or graduates of Yale?

---

Aside from the women's sufferage movement, which of those social groups - ex-drug dealers, Texans, Yale graduates - has been subjected to centuries of slavery, decades of Jim Crowe laws, decades of segregation after that, and decades of trying to adjust to freedom they didn't have for the 2+ centuries before that? Which of those groups is considered 1/3 of a person in the Constitution? 

Just curious. I hate the race card being played all the time too - but my mother was alive when black people weren't allowed in the same restrooms. Those ideas and those feelings aren't so far removed from our society that a black President - not even 50 years after black people finally got the vote! - might stir up some rather deep seeded hatred for a social group that was still being lynched when my dad started smoking cigarettes. 

<< Prev Page of 170 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version