Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 170 Next >>
Topic: Healthcare Debate (was: Quesada apologizes) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

changing the world, one message board at a time.

Let me ask this, what have any of YOU done to improve our country... other than bitch on a message board or quote (equally) jaded "facts"?

Politicians haven't made America what it is today... greedy, lazy, uneducated citizens have!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

For 16 years I served once a month as the cook (4th Saturday crew!) at a local soup kitchen, making soup for the hungry.

By the way?  I don't like to mention this, but I noted it before - mainly to try to recruit other bay area JBFers - none ever came, by the way - and by mentioning this, I've been mocked since then.  Not only do blow-hards not contribute to society, they attack others for doing so.

What a wonderful world. 

Since moving from SF, I've been floundering a bit finding a local charity to work with, though I've given time a bit to a few local food banks. 

I feel it's my duty to complete all civic obligations - I proudly serve Jury Duty, I pay my taxes and I educate myself on issues when I vote, which I do every election.  I also maintain contact with my congressperson to voice my concerns about issues.

Back to Top profile | search

James Malone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

exactly what we all need to be doing, but all that stuff is tough... and time consuming... its easier to blame politicians.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

Bitterness and name calling is doing NOTHING to improve our lives. I am so sick of it, it feels like the election and the hateful campaigning has never stopped.  I am glad those shows that support my party's hard views are getting bad ratings. I don't watch them, my dad doesn't watch them (and we both LOVE politics), because the election is over and we are to come together as a country to make it better,  that is how it used to be done for the most part.

That is my whole issue with Fox they have tapped into and promoted discontent. I keep hearing in my head "A house divided will not stand" these were not hollow words. There is a trend in politics to keep people unhappy, people allow it and I just don't get it. I understand those that are involved in the tea party movement not seeing the anger within their group. But aren't there moderate, true republicans that will stand up and say "enough is enough" .

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 20 February 2010 at 9:43pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well, yeah!  It really does - look - I'm lucky - I don't have a family to take care of - I'm just me, so I've got a step up there.  Though, like, when I was working at the soup kitchen, sometimes families would come in to volunteer - make it a family event.

(Sadly, more often families would come in for the soup.)

Here's the important thing to remember - this is something that Geoff and I seem to really see eye to eye on - the people?  The PEOPLE - not the politicians?  Those folk aren't so concerned about red and blue and left and right - we all want the same thing - to take care of ourselves and our own (families or otherwise) - to have food on the table, a roof over our heads, steady employment to provide that.

And a lot of times, in an effort to make that a reality, the people don't have time to participate - that's for sure.  And if they're going through their lives, doing what they can, I don't fault them at all.

It's rough out there.  It's not easy for anyone.  For those working hard?  Well... that's what it is - hard work.  For those living on charity, be it via government or family or religion, etc?  They're paying for it in pride and loss of self-respect.  And besides - we talk a good game about Reagan's mythical "welfare queens", but I can vouch for this - I've known a lot of people who got welfare, or got GA (in one case because of such a violent physical attack that her brain was damaged and she had trouble holding down steady employment due to black outs and so on) and NONE of these people were getting rich from the government - they weren't making enough to LIVE on - you have to work really hard to work the system enough to live off it.  What you get from a government check and food stamps is just less than what you need to survive - one suspects it's that way to encourage you to not get used to it.  WITH the government checks you still need the charity of others.  They alone won't pay your rent or get you enough proper food to get by on.

Now, could the system be adjusted to include more education or support to help the recepients not be dependant on it?  Of course.  I'm all for that.  You show me any politicians or spokesmen who are against that and I'll rage against them.  I'm with you on that.  But I don't advocate the elimination of the programs.  I am firmly behind them - I believe in this sort of insurance.

Look - I don't like paying my car insurance each month.  But if I ever get into an accident, I'm going to go kiss my State Farm Agent on the lips.  I'll slip that hairly sonofabitch the tounge, too!  Because while I hate paying into it each month, the beauty of insurance is the comfort of knowing that when the unthinkable happens, you're covered.

Unless it's the American Health Insurance industry, where you're screwed either way, but that's another debate, isn't it?

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 February 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

Oops!  Damn lack of quote function!  I was aiming my reply at James.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2010 at 3:05am | IP Logged | 7  

James,

I sincerely hope my comments have been more constructive and informative than mere "bitching", and I've certainly appreciated gaining insight and perspective from my fellow members here at the JBF. (Can't do much about correcting greed or laziness here on the board, but I think we're all working on the education part.)

As for the fair question you ask, I'm a firm believer in living the mission. Both my wife and I are in positions where we directly serve our community -- in the medical and local government fields, respectively. Indeed, I work in our City's Community Services Department, so community betterment is my day job.

Our family has been richly blessed by this community since we moved here 14 years ago, and in our non-work hours we strive to return those blessings through volunteerism and charitable donations of our money and time. And from day one we've been raising our three kids with the edict that it is your responsibility to give back to the community. Now that they are teenagers, it is a tremendous pleasure to not only watch them take on and deliver more in the way of good works, but to also see that they "get it", that public service is both a responsibility and a happy burden that is richly rewarding.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2010 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 8  

It's rough out there.  It's not easy for anyone.  For those workinghard?  Well... that's what it is - hard work.  For those living oncharity, be it via government or family or religion, etc?  They'repaying for it in pride and loss of self-respect.  And besides - we talka good game about Reagan's mythical "welfare queens", but I can vouchfor this - I've known a lot of people who got welfare, or got GA (inone case because of such a violent physical attack that her brain wasdamaged and she had trouble holding down steady employment due to blackouts and so on) and NONE of these people were getting rich from thegovernment - they weren't making enough to LIVE on - you have to workreally hard to work the system enough to live off it.  What you getfrom a government check and food stamps is just less than what you needto survive - one suspects it's that way to encourage you to not getused to it.  WITH the government checks you still need the charity ofothers.  They alone won't pay your rent or get you enough proper foodto get by on.

Thank you for writing that Mike. This issue makes me see red and im unable to form proper words.

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2010 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

Jodi , you make a valid point.

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

Let me ask this, what have any of YOU done to improve our country... other than bitch on a message board or quote (equally) jaded "facts"?

I volunteer at a local shelter for abused children. I even had a club I belong to at school raise money for their Christmas. I'm also on the executive board at my local American Legion, and we spend a lot of time doing various things for veterans and the local community. I used to volunteer at the local SPCA, but with going to school full time, it's just too hard to squeeze everything in.

Does the fact that those of us who don't brag about any kind of charity work, mean we aren't doing it? I certainly don't give my time for the accolades.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 22 February 2010 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 11  

This certainly is aimed, I guess, at Democrats (though, I think Republicans, in a spirit of wanting what's best for America might at least take a look) - but I got a copy of 50 Ways You Can Help Obama Change America by Michael Huttner and Jason Salzman and it's got a lot of interesting thoughts and ideas of you, the citizen, can do your share.  Some ideas are local, some are global.  I find that some appeal to me, so I study the ones that don't; so I can try to get new ideas.

A lot of the sections in the book are really Obama/Democrat specific - there are chapters on forming your own local groups, etc - but there are some that are good for all Americans - doing charity work in your community, living responsibly, etc.

A thought.  Check the book out of the library if you're not sure you want to invest the cost of buying it, but I found a lot of interesting thoughts and strategies in it.

Clearly, I haven't studied the chapter yet on "Reach Out to Conservatives". 

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2010 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 12  

Neither has the Congress, in spite of words spoken by Obama himself on occasion.  Unfortunately, my dad is an example of one of those angry conservitives who won't do his own reaching out, so he doesn't want to believe that there are decent people across the aisle who want to shake his hand.  As long as the demagogues hold the stage, we're stuck down here being fenced in by goons and camp followers.

<< Prev Page of 170 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version