Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 170 Next >>
Topic: Healthcare Debate (was: Quesada apologizes) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged | 1  

Rich and Marc,

Gosh, guys, you make sound it all so easy!

Marc, I love how no matter what I write your response always comes back to the wealthy. Rather than start with the premise "Here's how we get more money from the wealthy because they can afford to pay more" I'd like you to consider instead what we're buying with our tax dollars. Do you think we are getting a good return on our investment? Do you consider our going into debt to be financing a strategic payoff that will ultimately allow us to make good on the bill? You said previously that a public dollar buys more than a private sector dollar. I can prove otherwise, but I'd appreciate it if you'd put some support behind your assertion.

Rich, in your backhanded way you've put your finger on the core of the issue: We've got a lot of people hooked on government cheques. I'd like to know what you feel are the responsibilities of government. Not trying to be cute, but rather intending this as a thought provoking question. What MUST government do, what SHOULD government do, and what should government AVOID? Do you believe our government has taken on too many obligations, or nowhere near enough responsibilities? Do you believe the different levels of government competing with each other leads to inefficiencies of program and service delivery, or does that offer a necessary overlap?

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 13 February 2010 at 2:44am
Back to Top profile | search

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 2  

"I have to disagree.  Bush 43 was treated with plenty of disrespect while in office and beyond.  His intelligence was mocked, every achievement in his life was attributed to his father's connections, there were accusations of not fulfilling his National Guard service etc."

Not the same thing. His intelligence was mocked because he could barely string a sentence together and he said and did some very stupid things. His achievements were attributed to his father's connections because, well that's where  they came from. And the National Guard thing seemed credible to a lot of people who knew him at the time, apparently  , if impossible to prove one way or the other (because the files went missing).

But his plans were not blocked or  ignored in congress,  protests were against his policies, not some bizarre notion of him being a Kenyan Communist or a reasonable equivalent of same.  And people weren't calling for him to be impeached for stuff that happened on Clinton's watch.  In fact,  the Clinton administration was even blamed for the Bush administration deliberatley ignoring intelligence that could have prevented 9/11, even though Clinton's people went to great lengths to point out how important it was.

Bush got disrespect for acting stupid. His politics, however, were carried out, he was not effectively made to answer properly for his many damaging screw-ups. Both the press and his political opponents treated him with exceptional deference and groveling respect in his function as president, to the extent that he got away with some pretty bad stuff.

In contrast, Obama gets blamed for Bush's financial crisis, he gets Tax revolts even though he cut taxes,  the Republicans threaten to block every proposal he makes and his own party is wavering, even though they are in a solid majority.

Obama is not getting disrespect for what he's done. Unless you think he's a Kenyan Communist who has implemented huge tax increases and who, as president,  caused a world-wide financial crisis that started about a year before his presidency with the aid of a time-machine and a mind-control device (which he used to brainwash the Bush administration).

Obama is respected, perhaps, as a good speaker, but as a president he receives not even a small fraction of the deference, respect and acceptance of his political agenda from the press, his opponents or his own party that Bush did. I think he'd rather have the jokes.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 3  

Matthew - I'm originally from SF and lived there most of my life, but for the last two years I've been living a few hours inland of SF.

Not quite as far north as Redding, but in the red middle part of California, for sure!

Speaking of the Tea-Bagger movement: it's interesting that Jeff points out the fact that it's a anagram for Taxed Enough Already - (but also named because of an anchor's on-air melt-down, where, among other things, he ranted about American's having a new Boston Tea Party.  This lead to various protestors wearing Tea-Bag Hats - during rainy protests.  Yup.  Faces full of tea.  I know. ) - and this opens it up to explore why race is an issue here.

Let's be clear - I'm not calling Jeff a racist - nor anyone else here - but allow me to explain this.

Considering that the average republican doesn't want military budgets cut, nor wants to pay someone everytime they walk on the sidewalk or drive on a road, or directly pay police, firefighters, etc, we can agree that they're not against tax in general - rather they're against the mis-use of tax.

Or, more specifically, they're against the money going to social programs.

Which primarily benefit minorities.

This is not new - basing your opposition movement around the false premise of suddenly being shocked at our national debt - that's a bold move of dishonestly, but Republicans have been upset at social programs since FDR. 

But it's usually just one of a platform of issues whereby they differ from the opposition party.  The fact that it's become their whole party platform (that, and supporting rape and opposing anything the President suggests, even when it's exactly what the Republicans asked for) - that they're against their money going to programs that primarily initially benefit minorities?

THAT'S why it kind of stinks of race issues.

Not because Obama is black or whatever.

Let's clear something else up before we move forward - I've been having these debates here on this forum for going on 8 years now, so we've done this song and dance thousands of times, so let me save the usual gang the trouble of posting their stock reply - "But I saw a guy getting his welfare check and he had a new fancy car and gold chains and where I'm from they would call him uppity!"

Yeah.  Clearly, most people who need public assistance aren't good at managing money.  No Duh. 

But that's the magic key there - both sides have dug in so deep and are so involved in just reacting that we've lost sight of an important aspect of public assistance - it's not supposed to be permanant. 

How would I reform it?  I wouldn't cut it - I would make sure it included plans to teach the guy to fish, not just give him a fish.

Shame on the left for not being more proactive about fixing a broken system, but even more shame on the right for wanting to do away with the system in the first place.

But that side adventure aside - let's get back to the problem with the manufactured Tea Bag Movement: The rabble is out in the streets protesting the socialization of the US Government and their tax money gone - WHEN IN FACT, OBAMA CUT TAXES for EVERYONE.  His plan to end the Bush tax-cuts-for-the-wealthy?  The one where the tax rate for the richest 1% of Americans goes up 3 points to what it was a decade ago - when we had peace and prosperity?   That hasn't happened yet.  For now?  Everyone is getting a break, Federally.

So - What is the rabble complaining about?  Their taxes went down, not up.  Are they mad that they're paying at all?

Well.  Here's the thing.  I hate paying car insurance each month, but if I get into an accident, I'll sure be glad that I had it.

It's a dishonest movement that exists only to continue the idea of Politics-as-wrestling.  If these protesters are so against governent spending and so concerned about the national debt, why weren't they celebrating Clinton and Attacking Bush? 

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 4  

"1 tax dollar buys several more goods and services then 1 dollar spent in the private sector.

Really? I guess you've never heard of a concept of prevailing wage. That's where our contracts have to be bid out at the prevailing union wage rate for that trade -- based on the San Francisco rate. There is a HUGE gulf in the cost of the labour pool between Redding and San Fran. Prevailing wage adds at least three times to our labour costs on projects. And that's just ONE example of your tax dollars going "farther" in the public sector. I can share with you lots more."

This is an interesting point and I fully agree that publicly funded projects will generally spend a lot more on wages, benefits and other mandatory expenses than privately run projects.

For instance, when a union has negotiated with the government a fair, reasonable living wage for its members, where a person who has a certain certified skill level in his profession - like welders, carpenters etc receive sa wage that rewards quality.  Or sets costly safety standards to protect from injury, take out workman's compensation insurance to cover the workers, set limits on overtime (and demand overtime be paid extra  to discourage employers from asking for it) or demand costly safety training to prevent injuries et cetera.

All of these make projects more costly.  And government cannot legally, morally or ethically avoid having to pay these costs.

However, a privately funded project, as long as it escapes too much scrutiny, can pay the workers less, demand excessive overtime without compensation, skimp on safety precautions, hire insufficiently skilled workers without safety training, even hire illegal immigrants who'll work for less than what the minimum wage would be for legal residents and who will not complain about mistreatment or injury.

And of course the people working under those conditions will have minimal disposable income and contribute minimally to the consumer economy, reducing demand for anything but the cheapest goods of the lowest quality.  Their taxable income, used to provide government services (schools, hospitals, law enforcement) will be very low, and in the case of illegal immigrants (a very desirable, undemanding and cheap workforce for private enterprise) they may not contribute much taxes at all.

They will also not be able to pay for insurance, meaning that they will be taken care of by Medicaid, if at all.

But it's good for the people who invest in the businesses.

When the government funds a project, one of its aims is to stimulate the surrounding economy.  If wages are good and people walk away with a decent amount of disposable income, that's going to stimulate the economy and bring much more money back to the government in the form of taxes. You know the old business maxim "You have to spend money to make money"? Well, the government spends amounts of money on wages etc. that may seem excessive, but also may actually be fair, and everybody benefits from it.

The standard Market knee-jerk reaction to spend as little as possible to pay working people (which we have known since the 1920s that it doesn't work) just chokes the life out of the economy.  Have you heard the expression "Penny-wise, pound-foolish"? That's what it is. 

Bill Cox
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 5  

{Quote}
Would it be okay with you to show President Obama is a crypto-communist intent on bankrupting the country into ruin?

Or to show him as an Uncle Tom in the thrall of a centuries-old European banker's New World Order conspiracy?

Or as the anti-Christ?

Speaking of the Anti-Christ, has anyone ever caught the doomsday show: THE NOSTRADAMUS FACTOR on the HISTORY CHANNEL? This show links Nostradamus' doomsday predictions to "end of days" mythos from various cultures.

One episode talks about Revelations and the Anti-Christ. The actor who depicts Satan's son sre looks a lot like the President. Hmmm. Could be...

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 6  

Are there good people mad about paying taxes in this group, yes there is, but having Captain America address the hatred and anti govt vibe within this group, is timely and I think appropriate.  Let's even take the race card out of the talk, this is a group of people that feel the federal govt. is the "enemy".  I just want to ask them , "You do know that the flag pin you so proudly wear, is basically the Federal govts symbol?"

I find it interesting the tea baggers and their actions continue to divide us.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

For instance, when a union has negotiated with the government a fair, reasonable living wage for its members [...] All of these make projects more costly.  And government cannot legally, morally or ethically avoid having to pay these costs.

The only legitimate words in this sentiment are legally and negotiated; the rest are full of ticking traps, and beg the questions- For who? To who?
While government does, as a necessity of existence, provide jobs; existing as a means to provide jobs, is not a legitimate function of government.

But to get back to the word, negotiated-- it's a word that I love, and a word I believe in more than almost any other when dealing with man's interaction with man.  And if, for lack of other option, government is forced, through negotiation, to pay health care costs and retirement pensions, on top of yearly salary, to the person who cleans the government building, or cuts the grass in the county park system, then that is a legitimate expenditure.  But if another option exists, is it fair to the taxpayer-- is it moral and ethical to subject the taxpayer, especially in a time of budgetary crisis, to those built-in expenditures, if the same work can be sub-contracted without the burden of legacy costs? 

Edited by Joseph Gauthier on 13 February 2010 at 1:14pm

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

Knut,

Just to be clear on prevailing wage: I'm not talking about internal force account expenditures using unionized City staff with collective bargaining contracts to complete the work. That's a whole different matter.

Prevailing wage deals with competitive bids for public works (i.e. where we award the contract to the low bidder). The California Assembly mandates that all public bids use unionized labour. In communities without a high concentration of union labour, the prevailing union wage from a baseline community must be used. So non-union tradesmen are temporarily unionized if they work on a public bid in California. All well and good with that so far. Nothing seems really amiss.

Let's say we're going to bid out a building project, which has a lot of construction trade labour involved in the completion. Those contractors bidding on the project have to commit to paying the prevailing wage for that trade which, in the case of Redding, is based on the San Francisco baseline. Here's where the train starts to jump the tracks.

In Redding, a rural city of 100,000 people where the cost of living is dramatically lower than San Francisco, we have tradesmen who would be happy to work for $25 an hour (even in boom times) who will now be getting paid $75 an hour for the same work because that's the San Francisco base rate for their skills.

Thus, a construction project that might cost $1 million in the private sector will set the City back $1.5 million when the costs of prevailing wage, certified payroll and other elements are added into the mix. So much for the public sector dollar going farther...

I'm not against the concept of prevailing wage or unions, but the prevailing wage baseline needs to be more localized. I'm sure you'll agree the cost of living in an urban community like San Francisco is far different from a small rural city three hours to the north. That's one small change that could lower the cost of government without having a negative impact to the delivery of services.

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 13 February 2010 at 2:36pm

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

So, what do y'all think about health care?

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

Health care costs need to be controlled better.

In my experience, when I go to the doctor, most of my symptoms could probably be handled by a nurse practitioner ie a cold, strained wrist, vaccination shots for my kids, etc who could handle my problems for much less.  Also, for the terminally ill, we have put some kind of cap on how much we spend there.  It may be a bit cruel, but we only have a finite amount to spend and need to do it more efficiently.

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

By Republican reasoning, the government shouldn't be giving anyone anything. So as soon as they get back from Social Security what they paid in, plus 10% (to make up for the government holding their money all those years), they should start giving back their check every month. After all, they didn't earn it, right. Repubs are only against social programs, because Dems are for them. As simple as that.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2010 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

Well, Social Security is a bad deal for the govt and also needs fixing.  I read somewhere that on average recipients get three times what they put into the program.  People are living longer and there isn't expected to be enough new workers to support the retirees.

<< Prev Page of 170 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version