Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: The Quesada Age.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 1  

When I read the ESSENTIALS, I find what I like about Marvel is the sense of the "little company that could." I know that much of the "bullpen" was a myth but for almost a decade, Stan Lee scripted most of the books and Kirby drew a good number of them, with some amazing artists handling the rest (Ditko, Romita, and so on).

How do you reproduce this now? Granted, one good book selling '60s FF numbers or heck even '60s X-Men numbers would be better than the litany of Spider-Man books now, but can you ever get back to those days?

What's also amazing is that while it might have seemed like the Lee/Kirby-verse, they created something that would last decades as opposed to many creators now who come in and blow things up for the sake of saying, "I was there."

Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think that one of the things that kept the Marvel ship going up until the late 1980's was the influence Stan lee had over the people he "trained or mentored.

Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, Len Wein, Archie Goodwin and Marv Wolfman had a grasp of what Stan's universe was about.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 08 February 2010 at 2:29pm
Back to Top profile | search

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Old Marvel always made me feel like I was a part of the story experience. Plus I could follow the story even if I'd just started a new series.  Now, I read a comic two or three times and still don't get what is going on.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Gwen Stacy is an example why I don't get who they're targeting. Don't you have to have read a whole lot of Spider-Man to find that plot shocking? Didn't she die in the early 70s? Or was she reestablished more recently? I don't see why plots should reach any further back than 2005. "

I didn't start reading Spider-Man till he was married. I'm in my 30s.  I really know nothing about Gwen Stacey. Aside from a couple of issues of What If? I haven't read a single Gwen Stacey comic. But I knew enough to understand she was an ex of Peter's, I also understood that Norman Osbourne was secretly one of Spider-Man's greatest enemies. What else do you think I need to know going in?

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

"Since the bean counters run Marvel, it really doesn't matter who sits in the EiC chair. Anything that sells books -- and sells them in this environment of diminished expectations we have come to accept -- is all that matters."

I don't understand dimished expectations when compared to increasingly profitable results. How should it be and how could it get (or have gotten) there?

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

I am not sure if he would take the job, but I believe that anyone is better than Bruce Timm to make things right at Marvel.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

I didn't start reading Spider-Man till he was married. I'm in my 30s.  I really know nothing about Gwen Stacey. Aside from a couple of issues of What If? I haven't read a single Gwen Stacey comic. But I knew enough to understand she was an ex of Peter's, I also understood that Norman Osbourne was secretly one of Spider-Man's greatest enemies. What else do you think I need to know going in?

+++++++++++

Gwen and Peter were going down the road toward marriage. They were deeply in love and loyal to each other, despite the problems that Peter's life as Spider-Man (and the fact that he never disclosed his dual identity to her) caused them. The Green Goblin kidnapped and murdered her in order to hurt Spider-Man.

That should be enough to indicate that the "Sins Past" story is an affront to all of those old stories, and the characters are completely out of character in it.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 08 February 2010 at 3:22pm

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
I don't recall DeFalco being fired.

I stand corrected.  Apologies to DeFalco.

From an interview with Tom DeFalco:

QUOTE:
Q: Why did you leave your position as editor-in-chief? Word is you clashed with upper management on the direction of the company.

TD:I did over a number of key issues. Marvel eventually decided to get rid of me. They offered me a job overseas, but I decided to go back to being a full-time writer. They fired me and had to replace me with 8 people. When you’re the editor-in-chief for a company, it’s like being a football coach. If you have winning seasons, your job is secure; if you don’t have a winning season, you're out.

So, based on his own words, no apology necessary.

Edited by Zaki Hasan on 08 February 2010 at 3:29pm

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

+++++++++++

Gwen and Peter were going down the road toward marriage. They were deeply in love and loyal to each other, despite the problems that Peter's life as Spider-Man (and the fact that he never disclosed his dual identity to her) caused them. The Green Goblin kidnapped and murdered her in order to hurt Spider-Man.

That should be enough to indicate that the "Sins Past" story is an affront to all of those old stories, and the characters are completely out of character in it.

++++++++++++

The Green Goblin didn't murder her, he just knocked her off the bridge.

This, in my mind, is when Spider-Man became a lot less fun.  Well, that and the whole smoke-stack Spider-Man issue.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

"The Green Goblin didn't murder her, he just knocked her off the bridge."

Huh?  Do you think that defense would hold up in court? Maybe I'm not getting the intention of your post.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 11  

That's like saying "I didn`t kill him, I just fired the gun in his direction, the bullet killed him".

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

"The Green Goblin didn't murder her, he just knocked her off the bridge."

Huh?  Do you think that defense would hold up in court? Maybe I'm not getting the intention of your post.

SER: My Law & Order geek moment: This would be felony murder -- she died as a result of her being kidnapped.

The Sins Past retcon makes it premeditated murder, though, as the implication is that she was a target because of their relationship rather than just a target because of her relationship with Parker.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version