Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14
Topic: The Quesada Age.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

The Federal minimum wage started in 1938 and was $0.25 per hour. So your 64 page colour comic book was 40 percent of your hourly minimum wage.

To do a proper comparison, we should do it based on pages (i.e. you need at least two comic books today would equal 64 pages of content). So what took half an hour of your time to earn the purchase price in 1938 would take more than an hour to earn the purchase price today.

Looking at it that way, 22 pages of Action Comics #1 would have cost approximately 13.75% of an hours worth of work.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

When looking at profit margins, you have to factor in production costs. Comics back in the day were a way to keep the presses running, so there was a lower economics of scale for printing, even for the higher print runs. Additionally, page rates and royalties for creative talent are likely significantly higher today than in 1938, even after being adjusted for inflation. Finally, there certainly is a much higher administrative overhead with the dozens of corporate types in the head office.

Back to Top profile | search

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

Matthew wrote:
So what took half an hour of your time to earn the purchase price in 1938 would take more than an hour to earn the purchase price today.

Conversely, the 64 pages took you an hour to read in 1938, but now takes much less than a half hour.

I am constantly baffled at how the younger generation(s) can not stand to watch old tv shows because of the slow pacing, and yet they prefer the decompression of comics. It seems counter-intuitive to me. Coupled with the sporadic publishing schedule of many "monthly" stories, and I wonder where this surge in attention span is coming from.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

Brian,

It would be accurate to look at it this way: if you use the link in my earlier note, you'll see that the 1938 minimum wage had a equivalent purchasing power of roughly $3.75 in 2007 dollars. So a 10 cent 64-page comic book rising at the same rate as the minimum wage should have cost $1.50 in 2007 dollars.

Instead, a 32 page comic book (including 10 pages of ads) cost you $2.25 to $2.50 in 2007.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wayde,

Individual decompressed comics read faster: less words per panel, less panels per page.

Case in point: my youngest daughter (12) was reading a Chris Claremont / John Byrne X-Men over the weekend, and she looked at me with exhaustion and complained "That's a lot of words on every page!"

It wasn't the reading -- she loves reading and plows through thick books -- but the fact a very wordy comic book was something quite foreign to her.

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 09 February 2010 at 4:07pm

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB wrote - 

The STAR TREK and ANGEL stuff I have been doing at IDW has a $3.99 cover. That's largely due to them having no "external" advertising, only house ads.

Ditto those who complain about the number of ads. Would they be willing to pay more for less? Nope

I don't think it's the number of ads that gets the most complaints - rather the placement and content of those ads. Many Marvel and DC books are 3.99. At that price point, with DC at least, you get a 22 page main story and a 10 page back-up. If they cut the back up, they lower the price to 2.99 as their standard. 

IDW offers extras-free books for that same price of 3.99... but there are only those house ads in the back! In essence, if the standard is 2.99 (without extras) then someone buying an IDW book IS paying more for LESS ads - at least less intrusive ads that break up the reading experience. I recall over the past couple of years several instances of both Marvel and DC having complaints about large ad placements in the middle of books, breaking up spreads, causing large creases and damage due to cardstock inserts etc. 

I prefer the IDW reading experience myself. I must ask, JB, if there's any difference in writing for you between the formats? Do you prefer ads in or at the back?

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

I have begun to notice that the majority of ads in Marvel books lately has been in house ads too.  Out of the maybe 8 or 9 ads I see, 2 are external ads.  The rest are in house ads for $2.99 or $3.99.  I was thinking how interesting that was considering whether or not they are having issues selling external ads, or whether they just don't care one way or another.  I would think extra ad revenue is never a bad thing, but what do I know?  Comic books sure don't reach a very big target audience anymore I suppose.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

Keep in mind, ads in comics are (sometimes) as nostalgic as the comics themselves. Who else remembers strong man formulas and seas monkey mail-away coupons?

It's just... if it's a matter of price per page, I get more bang for my buck from IDW than Marvel and it's a toss-up compared to DC, since that extra dollar on their books gets me more story with more ads. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 14
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version