Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: The Quesada Age.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 1  

Maybe that's the best way to define the Quesada Age; i.e. the Age of Decompression.
Back to Top profile | search

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 2  

You mean "NO ONE", Marcio!  And, man, great call!!!
+++
Thanks Flavio, I still struggle with my English skills.
I think Marvel needs change, and that requires someone like Bruce Timm.
For me, his Batman is the best version of the character, and I am sure he could lead a Marvel re-boot, towards ageless characters, towards more "cartounesque" visual identity of the characters, killing the neverending cross overs, etc.

In other words, a complete change in the current strategy.

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

There are many things I wish I hadn't read.

Same here , Bill. I wish I hadn't read Infinite Crisis and One More Day.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

If only they dare to make a cosmic "brand new day" to the whole Marvel Universe... 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

It's one of the things that makes it very hard for me to swallow the complaints about the "high price", when readers are buying paper thin stories spread over a dozen issues. If they want to complain about something, let them complain about that! Stan Lee and Jack Kirby gave us the original Galactus "trilogy" for 36¢! Let's see today's wunderkind match that!

Those paper thin stories spread out for so long are certainly what's driven me away from spending money on new monthlies. Marvel and DC have made it very hard to just be a casual reader, which is what I would be today if I were buying new comics. I have a full-time job, a wife, a house, a writing career that I'm trying to get going further, movies I haven't seen, books I haven't read, and all sorts of other things I want to get around to doing. MAYBE if it was still possible to have a cover catch my eye and buy the comic book to find an understandable and complete story inside, I might still buy an occasional issue just as I occasionally go to the movies, but I can't and won't make the ridiculous commitment that it seems to take to actually follow current comics. That's the biggest problem with comics now, I think. One can't just be a casual reader. The publishers have made that impossible.    

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

Interesting also to look at the rise of the cover price in relation to the purchasing power of the mythical young reader via the minimum wage, using Joe Hollon's table:

The minimum wage statistic is from the Department of Labor.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

Interesting also to look at the rise of the cover price in relation to the purchasing power of the mythical young reader via the minimum wage, using Joe Hollon's table:

The minimum wage statistic is from the Department of Labor.

••

Now compare 10¢ to the minimum wage in 1938, when ACTION COMICS 1 appeared. The hourly minimum, set for the first time that year, was 25¢.

Current comic prices suddenly seem less exorbitant, don't they?

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

Interesting Pete!

Related question to this talk about rising cover prices:  how many current comics are at $3.99?  I think most of the regular titles I buy are still at around $3.00 except for the IDW stuff.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

The STAR TREK and ANGEL stuff I have been doing at IDW has a $3.99 cover. That's largely due to them having no "external" advertising, only house ads.

Discussions of the price of comics brings all kinds of points to mind. Over the years, I have been asked to explain why the ESSENTIALS have to be in black and white, for instance. Why can't they be in COLOR? When I ask how many would be willing to pay double the price for color, there are usually few takers.

Ditto those who complain about the number of ads. Would they be willing to pay more for less? Nope.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

The Federal minimum wage started in 1938 and was $0.25 per hour. So your 64 page colour comic book was 40 percent of your hourly minimum wage.

To do a proper comparison, we should do it based on pages (i.e. you need at least two comic books today to equal 64 pages of content). So what took half an hour of your time to earn the purchase price in 1938 would take more than an hour to earn the purchase price today.

Here's minimum wage history if anyone is interested:

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/anth484/minwage.html

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 09 February 2010 at 3:10pm

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

Very interesting indeed on the relationship between comic price and minimum wage.  Now, if only we could see the change in margin of a comic over the years. I would be curious of how much of that 12 cents went to profit and how much of that $3.99 goes to profit.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

I would be curious of how much of that 12 cents went to profit and how much of that $3.99 goes to profit.

••

Now it gets complicated. To sell 300,000 copies of that 12¢ comic, the publishers had to print around 600,000. Half of their paper and printing costs, in other words, were automatically in the red. Today, with the DSM, they print only as many as are ordered (sometimes less, but let's not go there!), so the profit margin is higher. Unfortunately, they sell about 10% of the number of copies that were sold of that 12¢ item, so it's a higher profit margin on a much, much smaller gross.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version