Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: The Quesada Age.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

Don't forget Panini. After all, what comic company doesn't need an Italian sticker company.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Malone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Both Brians, i think you are right. Particularly about distribution.

I did my MBA case study on MRV's banko, but this was 9 years ago and I think I am starting to forget the details.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

I just read a pretty in-depth article about this somewhere, but I can't remember where.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

Joe Hollon wrote:
Price increases have actually slowed over the more recent time spans.

Percentage increase doesn't seem like a particularly useful way to compare price history.  It stands to reason that as the base price of a product gets higher, the percentage increase will tend to be less each time the price is raised.  We also have to remember that the relatively rapid rate of price inflation in the 70's and early 80's was itself a correction of the fact that comics had gone 30+ years with almost no price increases.  To some degree the prices shot up fast because they were catching up with everything else.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jeff,

I'll see if I can dig up some more recent financials, but things likely aren't very different since this snapshot:

To cut to the chase, the brunt of the publishing revenue is coming from repackaging older material. The generation of new material is operating at break-even or a loss (but is likely pulled into profit when it's collected as a trade).

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 6  

John Byrne wrote:
Since the bean counters run Marvel, it really doesn't matter who sits in the EiC chair. Anything that sells books -- and sells them in this environment of diminished expectations we have come to accept -- is all that matters.

Well said, JB. i actually wish some of these "bean counters" had the incentive to
try and bring Marvel back to the "House that Stan and Jack built"... they could
even bill it as an EVENT!!!! ( Or at least an small imprint like the Ultimate line!)

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 7  

Jason C. wrote: "Percentage increase doesn't seem like a particularly useful way to compare price history.  It stands to reason that as the base price of a product gets higher, the percentage increase will tend to be less each time the price is raised.  We also have to remember that the relatively rapid rate of price inflation in the 70's and early 80's was itself a correction of the fact that comics had gone 30+ years with almost no price increases.  To some degree the prices shot up fast because they were catching up with everything else."

Your logic makes no sense to me. 

Also part of the reason comic prices did not increase is when they only cost ten cents or twelve cents an increase of only a couple cents is a HUGE percentage increase!  You're looking through the other end of the telescope than I am.  I'm not saying for sure I'm correct, I'm no financial analyst, I'm just stating what seems logical to me.  Since it was suggested up thread I decided to "do the math" and that's what I cam up with.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 8  

The death of Marvel?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 9  

Price increases have actually slowed over the more recent time spans.

++

Percentage increase doesn't seem like a particularly useful way to compare price history. It stands to reason that as the base price of a product gets higher, the percentage increase will tend to be less each time the price is raised. We also have to remember that the relatively rapid rate of price inflation in the 70's and early 80's was itself a correction of the fact that comics had gone 30+ years with almost no price increases. To some degree the prices shot up fast because they were catching up with everything else.

••

There's no "to some extent" about it. Back in the Forties and Fifties, as magazine prices started to rise, due largely to increasing paper and production costs, comicbook publishers made what can be seen in the clarity of hindsight as a very foolish decision. They decided to keep comics "cheap", retaining the 10¢ cover price for as long as they could.

This was an odd decision, when it is placed in context, since, at ten cents per issue for 64 pages, comics were no "cheaper" than most other periodicals. Weekly news magazines like TIME, for instance, cost a dime.

Having made the decision, however, the publishers faced a dilemma. There was no way to keep the price low while continuing to put out the same product. Comics began to shrink, dropping their page count. Since magazines are printed in 16 page "signatures" (64 pages = 4 signatures) the cuts tended to be large. By the time I started reading comics, they were still 10¢, but they were 32 pages, 2 signatures.

This presented a problem, since half signatures were costly, and a 16 page comic would be barely more than a pamphlet. So the publishers started playing with editorial page count. By time I joined Marvel, the number of actual pages of comics in a comic had dropped to 18, and the very next month it dropped to 17. This meant that almost HALF the comic was advertising. (Drop a Marvel or DC comic from that period on the floor, and it will almost certainly fall open to an ad.) Plus, the point had long since been passed where it was possible to keep the cover price at ten cents, so the price had started to go up. (The month I started on UNCANNY X-MEN the price was bumped from 30 to 35¢. This was done across the board, and across the board sales dropped. Except, it was noted, X-MEN sales stayed the same. So, the price increase had not cost us any readers. Compared to most other titles, our sales had "gone up".)

As the prices continued to rise, Marvel eventually decided to bite the bullet and boost the editorial page count back to 22. At the time, one of my editors predicted it would soon start dropping again. but here we are, thirty years later, and while the prices have continued to rise, the page count has stayed the same.

What this means, basically, is that to get a sense of how much the prices are rising, it's probably best to count from when the pages went back to 22, since the package size has remained fairly consistent since then.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 10  

I love learning stuff like this when I come here. Sure, I can look at the price of comics from the past 50 years, but never would I know about the page counts, ads, and the various nuts and bolts that affect the value of the comic because I don't have any comics from other eras. Any of that stuff in my collection is a trade or a hardcover collection, which disguises quite well the varying page counts and which features no ads. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 11  

Rising prices are one of the many reasons I continue to be baffled by fan acceptance of so-called "decompression" in the telling of the tales. When I started buying American comics, there were three or four stories in every issue, cover price 10¢. Today, you're lucky to get a quarter of a story for five times that price -- and don't expect the next issue to come out when promised, either.

It's one of the things that makes it very hard for me to swallow the complaints about the "high price", when readers are buying paper thin stories spread over a dozen issues. If they want to complain about something, let them complain about that! Stan Lee and Jack Kirby gave us the original Galactus "trilogy" for 36¢! Let's see today's wunderkind match that!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2010 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 12  

That's perhaps the BEST ARGUMENT for what's wrong with the comics industry
of today, JB. i can't stand the story pacing at today's comic book prices!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version