Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Ed Hannigan Benefit Book is AWESOME! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2010 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 1  

This book was definitely worth picking up for the good cause and the comments on the covers and cover sketches by Ed and the artists he worked with.  I didn't really get the "tribute" pieces by random artists towards the back of the book.  It was as if they just needed to fill space.  Aren't there countless more Hannigan pieces they could've showcased and had comments on?  Also I enjoyed the irony of reading comments about what makes a good comic cover in a book published by Marvel who has seemed to make it a point to violate all those rules over the last decade.  The comments about making sure the current issue doesn't look too much like that previous month's especially stood out. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2010 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 2  

Another comment about this book....I didn't realize providing artists with cover sketches was (apparently) such a common practice.  In a lot of cases I sort of have to wonder why.  Did John Byrne, John Buscema and Jack Kirby really need the cover sketch ideas (Mr. Hannigan even seems perplexed about why he was making sketches for Kirby)?  Was this just mandated by editorial?  Did the artists have a choice in the matter? I could see the sketches being utilized in case of deadline issues or perhaps inexperienced artists needing some assistance.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Mr. Hannigan's contributions to the comic covers I'm just curious to know a little more about how/why some of these came about.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2010 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 3  

Joe, can you tell us who those random artists were?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2010 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

Ed Hannigan revamped excellently Brainiac's look.
And as a cover artist, he did some of the best covers during the 1980s. Look at those SPECTACULAR covers... those were the best part of the series. Plus, he created Cloak and Dagger's look.

Yes, he surely deserved a tribute.

Just yesterday I sent an email to AMAZING SPIDER-MAN commenting the last issue of ASM, drawn by Marcos Martin. Despite I see Martin as a modern Ditko, thinking to his covers, he is a good heir to Ed Hannigan, too. When you see artists like Hannigan (or Martin, or Garcia Lopez, or JB) at work on cover, that's where you understand that the cover is an extremely important part of the comic book.

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 5  

I found out Hanningan did the Brainiac redesign thanks to this thread. Thanks for the information.

Dusty Abell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

i really enjoyed the Ed Hannigan Tribute book...I only wish they had included more material!!!! He's a super talent, I wish him all the best.
Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version