Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Marvel sues Kirby heirs to keep copyrights (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

It'll be interesting when the copyright reversion for THE NEW GODS comes around. Those books were pretty clearly NOT work for hire - character designs were known to be around before Kirby went to DC.

The goodwill DC generated by letting Kirby "redesign" the characters for the SUPER POWERS toys (so he could get around the profit-participation cutoff) might make the family less inclined to try and take the characters back. But maybe not.

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'll bet he didn't sign an agreement to work on paper, with pencils, either.

He was a Marvel employee. And that was how the game was played.

But what if (I'm not saying that this is what actually happened) Kirby was the one who (allegedly) came up with most of the Marvel characters on his own and independently before and during his time at Marvel without the knowledge or input of Stan? Would that still qualify as work for hire? For example, some people strongly believe that the FF was all Kirby's idea because the team is very similar to the Challengers of the Unknown based solely on the background,personality's ,and similar team concept and structure.

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

Good point Rick!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

And of course when Alan Moore denied Marvel permission to reprint his stories, they did the ethical thing and...

Reprinted the stories anyway. 

Do you mean the Captain Britain omnibus ?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

But what if (I'm not saying that this is what actually happened) Kirby was the one who (allegedly) came up with most of the Marvel characters on his own and independently before and during his time at Marvel without the knowledge or input of Stan? Would that still qualify as work for hire?

••

That's the point on which the Siegel and Shuster case, turned. They had proof positive that Superman was a pre-existing character which they SOLD to National Periodicals.

There is no such evidence in the case of the Marvel characters. There ARE pre-existing characters Kirby worked on that RESEMBLE the Marvel characters, such as the infamous "Silver Spider" created with Joe Simon, but the Marvel versions are very different. And as I understand the Law, nullum simiie est idem - nothing similar is the same.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

For those claiming the Kirby heirs are over-reaching with Spider-Man, let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment. We know the first published Spider-Man story was by Lee and Ditko in Amazing Fantasy 15 (with a Kirby cover drawn after the fact), but we also know that Kirby was developing Spider-Man with Lee before Ditko came into the mix and even drew a number of pages for the proposed strip. While Lee elected to go in a different direction with Ditko, whatever portion of the character that Kirby helped develop and which wound up in the final published creation is appropriate to make a claim. Succeeding, that's a different matter.

••

The only thing Kirby's Spider-Man had in common with what was finally published was the name -- which Stan came up with. Kirby's version of the character was basically a recycling of the Fly, who was himself a recycling of the Silver Spider.

If the Kirby estate wants a piece of Spider-Man, they better be prepared to share whatever they get with Joe Simon.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

That's the point on which the Siegel and Shuster case, turned. They had proof positive that Superman was a pre-existing character which they SOLD to National Periodicals.

There is no such evidence in the case of the Marvel characters. There ARE pre-existing characters Kirby worked on that RESEMBLE the Marvel characters, such as the infamous "Silver Spider" created with Joe Simon, but the Marvel versions are very different. And as I understand the Law, nullum simiie est idem - nothing similar is the same.

That's a very good point JB.

By the same token, couldn't it also be said that there are pre-existing characters (in pulp and sci-fi novels, comics,and movies) that were NOT created by Kirby, but resemble characters that Kirby worked on before and after he started working for Marvel again? Could this be used against the Kirby heirs by saying that many of the MU characters, as well as most comic book characters in general (including characters Kirby worked on before he returned to Marvel that resemble the Marvel characters) have some resemblance to pre-existing characters from past comics,novels,and movies?

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

Wouldn't it be nice if, just for once, the corporation in power (in this case, Marvel, or Disney, or whatever-the-f*** it is now), would take the high road and attempt to work out some mutually satisfactory solution. Then, the plaintiff (the Kirby heirs) might take the high road and omit the more absurd claims of their case.

Why? The Kirby heirs didn't draw a single piece of art for Marvel (or anyone). As I stated with the Siegel case, heirs don't deserve a dime or the rights to control it. The heirs are just trying to get something for nothing. Screw them!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

Brian,

Are you also against the generational transfer of wealth? Part of the rationale for Kirby's efforts to reclaim his art in the 1980s was to better provide for his children and grand-children. This effort by the heirs is a logical extension of that desire. Moreover, I'm certain there is a degree of emotional attachment to the characters as the kids grew up with dad/grandpa drawing them all the time and heard the stories around the dinner table about how he created this one and that one. I don't think it's unduly charitable to suggest the Kirby family sees these characters as a legacy.

Personally, I'm agnostic on this whole business. It will make little difference to my life if a large multinational corporation maintains exclusive control over these creations, or if that corporation has to share the wealth with a collection of individuals whom I've never met. Unlike the comics books, there's no heroes of villains in this exchange. It's simply business.

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

Matthew,
This has nothing to do with transfer of wealth as Kirby never got the ownership (or money) to transfer. This is about a group of people who did not work for Marvel at all and had no hand in creating any of the iconic characters. Now they are trying to get control of something they never had any part in creating. I consider them no better than a bunch of leaches. It was Jack's and Stan's work that is being fought over not not the work of any of the heirs. They didn't do any of the work in question so the get nothing. Period.
Just because people are related to a famous person by blood (or marriage) doesn't mean they get to sue and get control of their legacy.

Edited by Brian Peck on 11 January 2010 at 7:32pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

Here are the basic arguments by the two sides -

Kirby attorneys Toberoff & Associates -

"The truth is that Jack Kirby was his own man," the release states."Like so many artists in the fledgling comic book industry of the late 1950's/early 1960's, Kirby worked with Marvel out of his own house as a free-lancer with no employment contract, no financial or other security, nor any other indicia of employment. ... Kirby's wonderful creations, which leapt from the page, were not Marvel's 'assignments,'but were instead authored by Kirby under his own steam and then published by Marvel. It was not until 1972 that Kirby by contract granted Marvel the copyrights to his works. It is to this grant that the Kirby family's statutory notices of termination apply."

John Turitzin, Marvel's general counsel -

"The notices filed by the heirs are an attempt to rewrite the history of Kirby's relationship with Marvel.  Everything about Kirby's relationship with Marvel shows that his contributions were works made for hire and that all the copyright interests in them belong to Marvel."

What I take from this is basically that Kirby heirs argument is that Kirby created these characters and took them to Marvel, which is not the case in any of the stories I've heard before.  In most cases what we've been told is that Lee & Kirby brainstormed a bit and then through the Marvel Method (or through a script in some cases) the stories were drawn and the Lee scripted them.

I don;t know how financial security had anything to do with the claim.  Lee didn't enjoy any financial security until the company was sold by Martin Goodman and the new buyers wanted Lee tied to the company they were buying.

And as JB pointed out - Simon & Kirby employed artists for their company under the same circumstances and certainly knew that it was a work for hire.

The Seigel & Shuster suit over Superman and Simon's suit over Captain America were different as they had developed the characters before working for National Periodicals (DC) & Timely Comics (Marvel).  The Kirby heirs would have us believe that these characters were not assignments given to Kirby by his editor (Lee) and I don't think there any evidence of that being the case.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 11 January 2010 at 9:27pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

Robert Bradley wrote:
I don;t know how financial security had anything to do with the claim. Lee didn't enjoy any financial security until the company was sold byMartin Goodman and the new buyers wanted Lee tied to the company theywere buying.

Lee was on staff, so he received a regular salary and benefits in addition to whatever he earned through freelance writing.  I presume that's what they mean by "financial security" that Kirby did not have.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 11 January 2010 at 11:29pm

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version