Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Marvel sues Kirby heirs to keep copyrights (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 1  

And so it begins...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100108/ap_en_ot/us_marvel_kirby _lawsuit

Back to Top profile | search

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 2  

Such is life!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 3  

At the very least, I'm sure it will "thin the herd".  Some of the claims listed in the original notice of termination certainly seemed tenuous at best. Like the claim to Spider-Man.

Either way it's going to be a landmark case. The Superman case was all about pre-existing properties and contractual transfers of copyright and has little precedence for most comics work.

But if they shut down the Kirby claims,  any claim without a specific contractual agreement to back it up will be effectively shut down. Because if Kirby can't prevail as the co-creator of the Marvel Universe ....

Though personally I think that the circumstances clearly give Marvel the preponderance of evidence in favor of their assertion of a work-for-hire situation.  However much I'd like Kirby (and now his heirs) to get profit participation in the characters he created.

Stan Lee, of course, did all his work as work-for-hire and can make no claim for any of this.

I'll be curious to see how this gets ruled.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 4  

Marv Wolfman already fought and lost this one, over Blade.

Work-for-hire sucked big time, but it was never a secret. And since Kirby ran his own company the same way, it would be really hard to make a case that he didn't understand the rules.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 5  

Outside of maybe Captain America, I thought all of Kirby's creations were done work-for-hire. Wouldn't Kirby's estate have to prove that Jack had these characters created ahead of time, before Marvel asked for them? It seems they have a better chance at suing DC for the rights to his 4th World stuff than they do suing for 33% of Spider-Man. (Which, btw, is a huge joke.) But obviously there is more money in Kirby's Marvel work.

William McMahon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 6  

Kirby needed Marvel; Marvel needed Kirby.....
In the long run, Marvel still needs what Kirby did, I don't think that Kirby needs what Marvel did.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 7  

Anyone looking for some background discussion on this can find it on the Renewed Copyright Issue for Marvel thread. Knut did a tremendous amount of legwork in that earlier thread. (And I hope I contributed something, too.)

Rather than repeat what you can find on the earlier thread, let's cover some new ground. There is not a lot of settled law in this area specifically related to comics:
  • The Steve Gerber "Howard the Duck" case was settled out of court prior to a final ruling.
  • The Joe Simon "Captain America" case was settled out of court twice (1969 and 2003) prior to a final rulings.
  • The Marv Wolfman "Blade" case which was found in Marvel's favour actually ran through bankruptcy court, a very different arena than civil court as it is more interested in protecting the value of the asset for creditors rather than establishing creator rights.
  • The various Siegel rulings are not really applicable as they deal with a pre-existing creation brought to National / DC, and thus outside the scope of a "work for hire" argument.
That said, each of these cases provide rulings that offer a bit of a roadmap.

In the Kirby heirs favour, they've got Marvel's sloppy contractual practices prior to 1976, the fact that "work for hire" was not as fully defined a concept as it became in the 1976 Copyright Law, and the assertion that Kirby was an independent contractor (i.e. freelancer) rather than on staff like Stan Lee. (This last point was debated by Knut and me on the previous thread. He sees Kirby as an employee. I see him him as an independent contractor. Obviously, that's the position of the Kirby heirs.)

In Marvel's favour, they've got Jack Kirby's signature on at least two retroactive releases that sign away his rights -- the 1967 agreement where he signed away his share of Captain America to support Marvel vs. Joe Simon, and the 1987 one-page release signed to get his art returned. Whatever the possible shortcomings of those two documents, Kirby knowingly signed away rights in an era when he knew what those properties were worth.

To further the discussion along since our last kick-at-the-can in September, I found a couple of interesting quotes while researching the Joe Simon lawsuit. The first is from SFWeekly.com which provided an overview of case:

"'When the (1976 Copyright) statute was changed in 1978, the whole point was to give people who may have sold their property for a cheap price the chance to take it back,' says Simon's attorney Ross Charap. 'The premise is you don't know what something's worth till the public tells you. Congress said, 'Let's do something for those who sold their goods at a rate far less than the value the public established for it over time.' Somebody who gave something up for very little 50, 60 years ago should be entitled to get some additional compensation for the great work he or she did.'

"But it's not as simple as that, because copyright law also says that a creator is not entitled to his creation if he did it as a 'work for hire' -- meaning, if Simon came up with Captain America while he was working for Marvel (which, in the 1930s, was called Timely Comics), it belongs to the company. Forever."

I think everybody here realizes that last paragraph, but I thought it best to add it to put the previous one in context, because one's lawyer is obviously going to paint the most favourable picture.

In short, as discussed in detail in the earlier thread, Marvel realized they had a problem on their hands in 1978, hence the flurry of retroactive "work for hire" releases stamped on cheques and other documents. While Kirby never signed any of the four-line 1978 releases (having left Marvel at that point), nor the expansive four-page release originally offered him during the artwork battle, he did sign the one pager in 1987.

Another useful resource is the ruling from the US 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals on the Captain America case that reversed an earlier ruling in Marvel's favour and lead to the out-of-court settlement with Joe Simon. This document provides some of the precedents that the Kirby heirs will likely utilize. Of note, I draw your attention to the Supreme Court's finding in the Mills Music case (specifically referring to Section 304 of the 1976 Copyright Act) which was used to support the Court's reversal:

The principal purpose of the amendments in § 304 was to provide added benefits to authors. The . . . concept of a termination right itself, w[as] obviously intended to make the rewards for the creativity of authors more substantial. More particularly, the termination right was expressly intended to relieve authors of the consequences of ill- advised and unremunerative grants that had been made before the author had a fair opportunity to appreciate the true value of his work product. That general purpose is plainly defined in the legislative history and, indeed, is fairly inferable from the text of § 304 itself.

The crux is that 1987 release signed by Kirby. If there is any wiggle room in the language -- or if it can be invalidated entirely -- the heirs might have a case for partial copyright control.

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 09 January 2010 at 9:35am

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 8  

Who exactly are the Kirby heirs?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 9  

The Marv Wolfman "Blade" case which was found in Marvel's favour actually ran through bankruptcy court, a very different arena than civil court as it is more interested in protecting the value of the asset for creditors rather than establishing creator rights.

••

Very much doubt a change of court would have made a difference to the ruling. Wolfman's case was based on what I will politely call "faulty memory", with absolutely nothing to back it up. Marvel, on the other hand, had several witnesses and interviews with Wolfman's own words on their side.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 10  

John, you'd better get a lawyer and stake your claim to all those Big Bertha royalties now.  Avoid your heirs having to do it in 50 years. 

Edited by Mike Benson on 09 January 2010 at 10:16am

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 11  

John Byrne wrote "Very much doubt a change of court would have made a difference to the ruling."

Based on the transcripts that I've read, I concur: Wolfman did not have a very impressive case.

Nevertheless, the test in any bankruptcy case is ultimately "Does sufficient cause exist to devalue this asset and reduce the return to creditors?" Given that without those characters Marvel is a just a collection of desks and chairs, any bankruptcy court seeking to maintain the maximum value of an asset would be loathe to open the door a crack on creator's rights. (I suggest that if DC had been in bankruptcy, the Siegel's efforts likely would have been less successful.)

John, I could use your memory on this as I don't have those Wolfman files at my fingertips. If I recall correctly, didn't the Delaware Court base its finding in part on the premise that Blade et al had significantly evolved (or wording to that effect) from Wolfman's original creations? In short, what you're seeking to claim ownership of now, Mr. Wolfman, is quite different from what you say you created?

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 12  

One thing that intrigued me about the Wolfman case was that if he, who later became line editor and editor in chief of Marvel Comics did not believe that work-for-hire conditions were "automatic" at Marvel, then, as the publisher's editorial representative wouldn't that be the same as saying that no work produced or characters created during his tenure by anybody was created as work-for-hire (unless an actual contract was in place)?

Now, as editor-in-chief it would be his duty to ensure that the publisher's economic interests were taken care of. That includes making sure that the material produced was "Work-for-hire".  If he didn't believe that work-for-hire existed automatically without a contract, it would be his responsibility to establish such a contract (though I don't believe he did).

So, if -hypothetically, Wolfman had won the case and had certain "creator's rights" restored to him, any writer or artist working for Marvel with him as editor could make the same claim.  And a lot of characters or stories would be disputed.

But in that case, since it would be Wolfman's actions as an employee in failing to secure work-for-hire relationships that caused Marvel to lose intellectual property rights, couldn't Marvel have sued for him to cover their losses?

A bit rambling there. Just curious. It seemed such a bizarre case even back then, when I read about it in the Comics Journal and all. (and the transcripts vindicate JBs account of the trial, however much the "story" goes differently from, the keyboards of certain pros.)

Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version