Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: New Improved Iron Man Armor (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:27am | IP Logged | 1  

Armor Man.
Back to Top profile | search

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 2  

He is Iron-Man and thats that!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 3  

He's definitely not Iron-Man.

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 4  

Well who the hell is he if he is not Iron-Man why not just call him nut and bolt man  then!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 5  

Some of you guys really can't see the forest with all these goddamn trees in the way, can you?

First up, the term "Iron Man" predates the Marvel character. There was even a comicbook character called "Iron Man" in the 1940s! There are plenty of other uses, too. There was (and for all I know still is) a body building magazine called IRON MAN. The actual title of the book that inspired THE IRON GIANT was THE IRON MAN. There is the Iron Man Triathalon. Cal Ripken carries the nickname "Iron Man". There were boxing movies titled IRON MAN in 1931 and 1951. According to Webster's, the term as used to describe a human of exception abilities was coined in 1902, before Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were even born.

So, plenty of sources for the name "Iron Man" for a reporter WRITING IN 2008. But this isn't like a super powered man flying 'round with something that looks like a big S on his chest, or a guy dressed up like a bat, or a guy named Doctor Octavius who's running around with metal tentacles.

Two figures battle, one looks like its made of iron, the other---doesn't. The press is "writing about the one left standing"? And did the article not mention the other one at all? No clever moniker attached to Stane's creation? "Mysterious Iron Man battles big metal guy…"?

Upthread, someone tossed off "Robot Man" as a more likely name to attach to Stark without the external need for him to be called "Iron Man". There was a fairly successful newspaper strip called ROBOT MAN, which in fact caused DC to lose ownership of that name! If a reporter was groping around for a name for this red and yellow non-iron looking figure, that might very well come to mind. Especially since the first thing that would almost certainly come to mind looking at Stane's suit would be… IRON MAN.

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 6  

There was also in England a comic strip called Iron Man  but his body was covered in skin like tissue the subject is endless!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 7  

I liked the bit in the movie when Tony looks at his hot rod and decides to paint the new golden armor red. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 8  

Keep in mind, too, that as he reads that newspaper, altho Tony admits the name is "not bad", his first instinct is to dispute it, since the suit is NOT iron. In other words, left to his own resources, the movie version of Tony Stark would most likely NOT have dubbed his alter ego "Iron Man".

This is a variant of Cyclops being drawn with both eyes glowing visibly behind his visor, or Frank Miller's once-upon-a-time plan to give the Joker a mohawk. Sometimes we forget HOW characters came to have their names. (In the case I Cyclops, I brought this up at a con, many years ago, and was informed that he was called "Cyclops" because he fired beams of force out of his eyes!)

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 9  

I brought this up at a con, many years ago, and was informed that he was called "Cyclops" because he fired beams of force out of his eyes!

---

JB - I guess you don't have to worry since you don't do Cons anymore, but at the time how could you just sit there and listen to stuff like that without rolling up the nearest paper and bonking someone over the head?

I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. Not to say I'd laugh, but I'd have a really perturbed expression at the very least. 

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 10  

Upthread, someone tossed off "Robot Man" as a more likely name to attach to Stark without the external need for him to be called "Iron Man". There was a fairly successful newspaper strip called ROBOT MAN

---

That was me! I thought of it because of the strip. I used to read it as a child, and the Robot Man character was red and yellow - like Iron Man! 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 11  

About the "Iron Man" song, I thought it was a bizarre Jesus what-if.

...vengeance from the grave, kills the people he once saved...

Jesus, despised and rejected and killed, comes back to wreak bloody havoc.

In any event, the song refers to the "iron" man as turned to steel and wearing heavy boots of lead too. Nothing remotely to do with the comicbook character.

There are just people somewhere who think it's kewl to associate the unrelated, e.g., using Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life" in a Royal Caribbean Cruise commercial!

Edited by Michael Penn on 22 January 2010 at 11:49am

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

I always thought of Sabbath's Iron Man was about a version of the Frankenstein's monster...nothing more.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version