Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: New Improved Iron Man Armor (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

I play this on guitar Al it's about a man that was turned to steel in the great magnetic field and no one wants him.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
Al - ironically enough, I do believe Sabbath wrote that song about Marvel Comics very own Iron Man. 

You might want to read the lyrics.

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

He travels forward in time, witnesses an apocalypse, gets caught in a magnetic field traveling back to his time.  The field turns him to iron, so he is frozen mute and unable to warn anyone.  His resentment toward humanity builds over the long period he is ignored in his frozen state.  Eventually he is no longer frozen in place and he unleashes his years of resentment on the human race--- thus committing the apocalypse he had foreseen.  That's my understanding from what I've read about the song.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

Soooo... in other words, the press is not going to be inspired by that song to name Tony Stark in the movie "Iron Man" 
Back to Top profile | search

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

JPB

LOL!

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Soooo... in other words, the press is not going to be inspired by that song to name Tony Stark in the movie "Iron Man"

Well, such context hasn't stopped them from utilizing all of the "(fill in the blank)-gate" monikers, when "Watergate" was called "Watergate" because that was the name of the hotel, not because it was a scandal regarding water.  Likewise, the press frequently refers to "paranormal investigators" as "ghostbusters."  I don't think that, when doing so, the press thinks the subjects are running around with proton packs trapping free roaming vapors...real nasty ones, too.

The average person, like - it would appear - many of us here, are aware of the song, may have heard the song many times, but what seems to stick with most is the guitar hook and the "I am Iron Man" opening.  It's an easily digestible, familiar reference.

Heck...if anything, their not understanding the context of using a reference like that makes me believe in the press giving him the name "Iron Man" even more.  (Even Tony, upon seeing the headline comments to the effect, "It's not really iron, you know.")

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well...like many popular rock songs (especially of the heavy variety) I don't think the actual lyrics are all that well-known amongst the general audience. Most know the title and the intro along with the familar guitar riff. So I can see the press getting the name from that song. (Kind of like how event organizers love using "Born in the USA" at any type of patriotic or America-themed event...despite what the lyrics actually denote).

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Well, such context hasn't stopped them from utilizing all of the "(fill in the blank)-gate" monikers, when "Watergate" was called "Watergate" because that was the name of the hotel, not because it was a scandal regarding water.

My favorite was when the Clinton/Lewinski scandal was briefly dubbed "tailgate" by some pundits.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

The first potential name that comes to mind when I look at the photo JB posted is "Rocket Man".
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

Again, the "Iron Man" of the song sounds like something a reporter might think of when looking at Stane's creation. This is something important to keep in mind. The press were reporting on TWO armored figures fighting. Which one fit the song?

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

The headline is discussing the one left standing, thus the only one being named.

Edited by Todd Douglas on 21 January 2010 at 10:30pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2010 at 3:22am | IP Logged | 12  

I could easily believe that the press would use Iron Man rather than any other moniker. They don't really care that their short hand names for things are 100% accurate and they do like to use slang that is already known.

Now the question I guess should be, in a world without the Iron Man comic, would the term 'Iron Man' be as popular as it is in this real world (As in the previous mentioned examples). If it would be, and I could see that it would as it is usually used with regard to being a someone at the top of thier game (See the programme Iron Chef - there it is used to denote a chef at the top of his game) then I see no problem that the press would use it rather than somehting like Gold Man.

However, it is a shame that the press name him and not Tony Stark, especially as Tony is shown to have a sense of humour (See the Jerecho missile)

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version