Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: New Improved Iron Man Armor (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

And Joel -- thanks for posting the pic. You got across what I was trying to say! Like you, I dig the version JB depicted in the classic Incredible Hulk #316.

Edited by Peter Martin on 20 January 2010 at 3:20pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

The red and white armor just always looked AWEFUL! Horrible color choice... He looked like a Candy Cane. and the bucket helmet and huge neck along with shoulder pads that made it impossible to raise his arms and that stupid "back pack" thing just seemed like a lame excuse to not have to draw shoulder blades.

The "Golden Avenger" should have gold in his armour.

"Iron" is never what I literally took his armor to be made of anyways. It is similar to calling Colossus "Tin Man" it's just a phrase and not an actuallity.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

The "specialized" suits reverse this, and do, indeed, attempt to be predictive.
Read the OHOTMU entry for Iron Man and find it full to bursting with "real
world" science. Cold fusion was in the headlines when the entry was written,
so Stark's suit becomes powered by cold fusion.

+++++++++
as a science nerd as a child, I loved this sort of thing. I loved someone using
a "tachyon pulse" just cause it sounded cool. I think they are also pandering
to kids who love technological sounding words.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 4  

"Iron" is never what I literally took his armor to be made of anyways. It is similar to calling Colossus "Tin Man" it's just a phrase and not an actuallity.

••

Not quite. Colossus is, after all, called COLOSSUS, so at the very least you would expect him to be a BIG guy. "Tin Man" is just a nickname, like "Matchhead" or "Jade Jaws". You would, I hope, expect neither to be literal.

IRON MAN, on the other hand, is the name Tony Stark chose for his armored alter ego*, and even when I was a lad, I felt some important point was being lost when he was referred to as "the Golden Avenger".

Iron Man, indeed, may have been the first Marvel character to lose any connection to his name, despite Stan's insistence that it should be possible to pick a character out of a crowd on the basis of that name. Stan not following his own rules, here.

*The moviemakers decided to borrow from SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE, and have it be the press that hangs the name on Stark's creation. This doesn't work, really, since no one in the press has seen the "iron" version of the armor. It would be more logical to call Stane's creation "Iron Man" and come up with something else entirely for the scarlett and gold guy fighting him.

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
This doesn't work, really, since no one in the press has seen the "iron" version of the armor.

One can certainly assume, however, that they've heard the Black Sabbath song "Iron Man," and played off of that.  Tony further played into it with his revelation at the press conference.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 6  

One can certainly assume, however, that they've heard the Black Sabbath song "Iron Man," and played off of that. Tony further played into it with his revelation at the press conference.

••

Calling himself Iron Man AFTER the press has already dubbed him Iron Man is not "playing off" anything -- except the fact that he has ALREADY been dubbed Iron Man by the press. And, again, there would be no reason for the press to dub him IRON Man. There is absolutely nothing "iron" about what the suit presents to the world. Calling him "the Golden Gladiator" would make more sense!

In an otherwise close to flawless movie, this is a bad example of Peter Jackson style thinking. Things happen because the writers need them to happen, not because they spring from any internal logic. Like I said, if you were a reporter writing a story about the two armored figures who had just had a dust up at Stark International, which one would YOU dub "Iron Man"?

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

deleted - doesn't fit.

Edited by Derek Cavin on 21 January 2010 at 12:09pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

I remember Tony Stark decided that his iron armour needed to have some colour on it because the grey armour frightened people and hence the gold armour and then he changed it to red and gold with the newer slimmer armour!

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

which one would YOU dub "Iron Man"?

---

It's rhetorical, I know, but the answer is the big one that looks like iron. Of course!

However, looking at the red and yellow armour, what name could be come up with to describe that? I can't even think of one - but that's probably a couple decades of only knowing it's called Iron Man that's causing the brain block.

Looking at it fresh, as if I'd never seen such a thing before... Robot Man? Metal Man? Metal Defender? Tech Knight? I haven't got anything. Which isn't to say, in such a list, that Iron Man would be any better... but it's like you say, JB - that's the answer because it has to be the answer. 

What else can we come up with?

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

The press loves going for existing references when naming something.  "Fill-in-the-blank-gate" for a political scandal (spilling over into some non-political scandals); calling anyone who scales a building "Spider-Man," and so forth.

Maybe my listening tastes are broad enough, but I'm not aware of a classic (or contemporary, for that matter) song called "Golden Gladiator."  I am, however, aware of one called "Iron Man," which has spawned quite a few cover and parody versions.  As far as Tony "playing further upon that," I was referring to his specific phrasing, echoing the song's lyrics.  Clearly, that was an intentional play on the song by the filmmakers, as it led immediately into the song.

And that's just one existing reference, not even exploring the so-called "Ironman" competitions, in which particpants compete based upon pure strength and power.

With just those two references, I have no problem accepting the press dubbing a powerful, metallic figure "Iron Man."

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

What is the song "Iron Man" about?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

Al - ironically enough, I do believe Sabbath wrote that song about Marvel Comics very own Iron Man. 

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version