Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: New Improved Iron Man Armor (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2010 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 1  

I love the leftmost design in that Marvel Age image. What a fun hybrid of clunky and sleek designs into a cool, new one.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 January 2010 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 2  

For JOHN BYRNE: Do you have any comments/behind the scenes recollections to share about these?

••

Not much. I wandered into Mark Gruenwald's office one day while a discussion was going on about redesigning Iron Man's armor. Mark asked me to contribute something and, perched on a corner of Howard Mackie's desk, I doodled the image at left, above. It was not, of course, a "proposed" design for the armor. Just visual spitballing. If it had gone beyond that point, I would have refined it considerably.

(You can tell from the slight rightward skew of the image that it was not drawn under ideal circumstances. I have a small blind spot dead center in my left eye -- I've had it since I was a child -- and when I am working at home, on my drawing board, I am able to consciously compensate for it, but "out in the wild" it often produces that right-leaning bias.)

The color arrangement was not mine. Did not, in fact, expect ever to see that drawing anywhere in color, or I might have left notes!

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 3  

This new design is not one of my favorites but I definitely don't hate it either.  I always felt that Iron Man changing up his armor every now and again seemed a pretty natural thing to do.  Being a superhero/scientist I would think Stark would make the upgrades/changes necessary.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 4  

That middle armor seems kind of wide; was Tony supposed to dislocate his shoulders to get his arms in?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 5  

That middle armor seems kind of wide; was Tony supposed to dislocate his shoulders to get his arms in?

••

One of the elements we were playing with during that brainstorming session was the idea that Tony didn't so much wear the armor, as ride inside it. He was "plugged into" it, inside a kind of electronic cocoon, and his arms were not actually inside the suit's arms.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 6  

That's a neat idea -- but I would have hated to see somebody else later decide that Tony Start should become paraplegic and have some kind of doodad plugged into his brain so that he could remote control "Iron Man" (or an army of "Iron Men") from afar.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

That did happen, Michael.

I hate the 90s!

Ed Deans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB, thanks for the context for the sketches.

As for the color design, I found Marvel Age would do their own color work which was less refined. Panels reused from a comic nearly always had different, even incorrect, color.

This amused and puzzled me as a kid but I enjoyed what peeks and insights the book brought into the "sausage making" process.

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 9  

This new design is not one of my favorites but I definitely don't hate it either.  I always felt that Iron Man changing up his armor every now and again seemed a pretty natural thing to do.  Being a superhero/scientist I would think Stark would make the upgrades/changes necessary.

I've never had a problem with Tony changing his armor every now and then.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 10  

I would have hated to see somebody else later decide that Tony Start should become paraplegic and have some kind of doodad plugged into his brain so that he could remote control "Iron Man" (or an army of "Iron Men") from afar.

++++

That did happen, Michael.

Eep! Just, just, just... awful.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 11  

My first exposure to Iron Man was the '60s animated series when I was 5. I had no problems with the armor... that was the best part, for me!

But for Italian children giant robots and super technological armor were quite ordinary, then. The anime invasion made Iron Man very easy to be accepted!

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Ha! I remember using the same logic...and thinking Star TREK was the rip off! 

Being Swedish, I didn’t understand the word trek. What the hell was that? So I went with Star Wars, and never looked back ...

... no, that’s not how it happened. In fact, I looked up trek in a dictionary. And when I saw what it was, I decided I would never watch something with a stupid name like that!

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version