Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: New Improved Iron Man Armor (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sorry you have a hard time believing that being the case JB, but it was.  I will say that I can't clearly recall if my first exposure to Iron Man was a comic or the Mego action figure.  I do recall that I must have seen images similar to the "suit up" sequences in this thread at some point, because I remember pushing up the sleeves of the figure's costume to simulate those sequences.  Maybe that's where part of the disconnect came from...seeing the armor represented (by necessity, of course) in fabric, and seeing it "move" like fabric in the comics.  I also thought that (most, anyway) super-heroes' boots were more like socks, as the soles appeared to be "soft" like socks and the boots were as skin-tight, form-fitting as the rest of the costumes.

Who can fathom kid logic, mine in particular?  My same kid logic had me refusing to see Star Wars when it was first released, because I'd just become aware of Star Trek, and to my 7-year-old mind, the former must certainly be a ripoff of the latter:  they were both science fiction whose names were both two 4-letter words, the first word being the same for both.  (Now, that particular bit of kid logic I do clearly remember.)

Back to Top profile | search

Russ Webb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

I guess it was getting too hard to draw Iron Man in a.....you know.... semi-mechanical looking suit?  Now it seems they just want to have a "Metal Spandex Iron Man".

Give me the Iron Man that was done by:

Bob Layton
Jackson Guice
Mark Bright

That's how Iron Man's supposed to look.  That era > This era.

Edited by Russ Webb on 13 January 2010 at 5:29pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Who can fathom kid logic, mine in particular?  My same kid logic had me refusing to see Star Wars when it was first released, because I'd just become aware of Star Trek, and to my 7-year-old mind, the former must certainly be a ripoff of the latter:  they were both science fiction whose names were both two 4-letter words, the first word being the same for both. "

Ha! I remember using the same logic...and thinking Star TREK was the rip off! I had seen Star Wars and had my action figures. And then when I started watching the Star Trek syndicated reruns on the local tv affiliate, I thought they were trying to rip off Star Wars (being so little, I had no clue that every color tv show wasn't necessarily a brand new show! I thought that only black and white tv shows weren't modern.)

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

Davvid thanks for posting it , I really like thst page .

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

When, as a young kid, I first saw Iron Man, I didn't understand how a skintight, flexible-as-fabric metal armor could be, even suspending disbelief (although, again...obviously, at that age, I had no conscious idea of the concept of "willing suspension of disbelief").

I had a much easier time with this than the Flash's costume/ring. I think I was eight. But the stories were so fun, didn't really care.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

When I was a kid, I never questioned Iron Man's armor.

But I found the whole Flash concept absolutely ludicrous! If he could run as fast as he did, how did he have trouble with a (let's be blunt) bunch of losers like the rogues?

So even as a kid, I couldn't suspend my disbelief at some things.

(I also found the pre-JB Superman comics utterly stupid and childish - and I couldn't be more than 10 at the time! - but when JB started doing the character, by the time I was 12 or so, I loved it dearly.)

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
I had a much easier time with this than the Flash's costume/ring.

I remember the first time I saw the costume coming out of the ring, I didn't realize what it was.  It creeped me out for some reason.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 2:50am | IP Logged | 8  

<< It creeped me out for some reason>>

Ha! Thanks Todd, I thought it was just me! It kinda flies put like some kind of twisted red ghost with a gaping maw.

Its strange what freaks kids out!

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 9  

When I was five I remember getting the Star Trek rerun mixed up with the fig newton commerical that ran during the commercial break.

I never really thought about Iron Man's armor being 'made of anything' with particular consistent material characteristics at that age either. He was just the yellow and red guy.

Edited by Emery Calame on 14 January 2010 at 5:50am

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 10  

I browsed the latest isssue yesterday at the shop. Salvador Larroca is still terrific on the title! I don't buy it cause it looks like one giant conversation and I don't really care what Tony has to say LOL. It's like the book's been Tony talks about stuff since 2002.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 14 January 2010 at 9:16am

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

There have been a few fighting scenes too .

Ed Deans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

These designs come from the Marvel Age issue discussing Iron Man #200 which introduced the red/silver armor.

Clearly the center design became Stane's Iron Monger. I always loved the right most. I wondered at the time if the caption had the names of the contributors out of order.

For JOHN BYRNE: Do you have any comments/behind the scenes recollections to share about these?

Edited by Ed Deans on 16 January 2010 at 11:46pm

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version