Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: New Improved Iron Man Armor (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

I cannot imagine he drew the left foot that badly.

You mean you don't walk around with a broken ankle all the time, JB?

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

Just an observation but I believe JR Jr was just starting out. I think he was only 23.

James Wilson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2010 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

I personally really miss the Centurion Armor. The red and silver one by Mark Bright. Short lived but kicked butt in the Armor Wars and created a new tech link to the newer armor at the end of the saga as Stark was healing. I miss the days when you knew a man was in the armor and not an armored bot. The new on is to sleek, no place to hide the tech, especially the boots. Almost looks like Capt. America recolored his costume. Armor that thin, not matter the tech involved, one hit and it WILL hurt. Awesome design, but make it stand away from the man inside.Yes, I agree with the rest, almost looks like a swimsuit with metal plates on it.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have no interest whatsoever in knowing how Iron Man's armor works.  In the context of the Marvel Universe, it just does!

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 5  

There's nothing on that cover that says JRJR.

It's all shiny, all the where-ever.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 6  

…I believe JR Jr was just starting out. I think he was only 23.

••

But he hit the ground running. True, he began as a pale shadow of his Dad, and it took him a while to truly find his own "voice" as an artist -- but a pale shadow of John Romita is still head and shoulders above most newbies, and, indeed, many long established artists.

Compare the work on IRON MAN to his work elsewhere at Marvel at the same time, and see how much came from JR and how much was the inker.

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 7  

I was just looking at Amazing Spider-Man 20x last night, which I think was his first issues as the regular penciller the first time around.  It was published in 79/80 and you can already see "his style" even with Joe Sinnott inking.

I never realized how heavy handed Bob Layton was.

I also enjoy seeing JRJr's work in black and white because I really hated those X-Men and ASM issues he drew in the early '80s, but it was the color and not that artwork that turned me off. 

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 8  

I've been blown away by JRJR's work since day ONE!

When I read in an article how heavily inked his work was in the beginning it both saddened and educated me.

SADDENED because we will probably never see what his work TRULY was in those early years on IM. And EDUCATED because for sooooooo long my siblings and I thought JRJR had consciously "changed his style" after leaving IM and moving on to X-Men, Spider-Man and subsequent titles.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Perhaps it was, if you really asked that question. But, I wonder if you really, really did.

Obviously, not that exact phrasing, but the sentiment...yeah...yeah, I did.  When, as a young kid, I first saw Iron Man, I didn't understand how a skintight, flexible-as-fabric metal armor could be, even suspending disbelief (although, again...obviously, at that age, I had no conscious idea of the concept of "willing suspension of disbelief").

Maybe that early mental disconnect is what led to Iron Man specifically and "armor guys" in general not appealing much to me until I was older and could wrap my head around such concepts.  Even then, while I tried reading Iron Man a few times, it didn't grab me enough to come back regularly until the Busiek/Chen run in the 90's, then Fraction's current Invincible Iron Man series.

But, I guess because I just didn't "get" one element of one character when my age was in single digits, it was time to move on from comics already.

----------------

QUOTE:
MYTHBUSTERS went thru a round of "busting" superheroes a while back --a pointless exercise at best, since superhero comics never pretend tobe anything other than myths!

As I recall the Mythbusters "super-hero" episode, their focus was on elements from live-action super-hero movies, such as the Batmobile's grappling hook-assisted 90-degree turn from Batman Returns, and some that crossed media like Batman's compact grappling hook gun/winch (which, I believe, they tested and deemed at least "plausible" if not "confirmed") or the Phantom leaving his mark when punching someone while wearing his ring.  Despite the title of the show, they've moved on from strictly testing "urban myths" to including entertainment elements from the standpoint of, "That looks really cool on screen/on the page...could it really happen, and/or what circumstances would it take to make it happen?"  The concepts they tested in that episode were merely thematically linked by their sources.  In that respect, their super-hero "myths" are similar to their MacGyver- or James Bond-themed episodes.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 10  

JB wrote:
Compare the work on IRON MAN to his work elsewhere at Marvel at thesame time, and see how much came from JR and how much was the inker.

Hmm, I'll want to check that out. I was under the impression that he was only doing IRON MAN at the time.

Not to say I don't believe you or that Bob Layton wasn't/isn't an overpowering inker.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 13 January 2010 at 11:37am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 11  

When, as a young kid, I first saw Iron Man, I didn't understand how a skintight, flexible-as-fabric metal armor could be, even suspending disbelief (although, again...obviously, at that age, I had no conscious idea of the concept of "willing suspension of disbelief").

••

Seems like that should have been precisely the reverse. I honestly have a whole lot of difficulty with the idea of a 5 year old questioning how Iron Man's armor could "work".

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

When I first came upon Iron Man as a kid in '76 it made perfect sense to me... He could fold his armor up into his suitcase and it expanded out when he took it out to put it on. Heck the famous cover on his first appearance shows you how it works and the remake by JR JR and Layton did the same.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version