Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Post covers that introduced you to a character (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 1  

Valkyrie=grrrrowwllll.

On that SUPER TEAM FAMILY cover, I love the Kid Flash bitch slap! Talk about dismissive!

Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 2  

The first time I discovered there was a Human Torch before Johnny Storm, a reprint of the classic (and one of the truly great) fights in comics:

Hated the end though, in which the android Torch "dies". And fairly ignominiously. I never liked it. May be the first example of comics trying to "explain" away something by killing it.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 3  

I'd be remiss if I didn't post the cover for the intro of two of my true cult favorites. And it don't get much more cult than the 3D Man.

Thank heaven for Hulk comics, and Bill Mantlo. You won't hear many say that, but Mantlo did one thing better than anybody: he knew how to dig up obscure b-list characters and give them a story where they shine. And it doesn't hurt to have Sal Buscema doing the art.

Kind of a fugly Machine Man/Hulk by Milgrom and Steve Ditko, I realize, and not one that inspired my love for Aaron Stack. That love affair wouldn't start until I read the Kirby back issues. And then the realization that this three issue fight between the Hulk and Stack is one of the best ever.

Again, the Hulk was the perfect guest-star/guest-starrer in all of comics for a long time. Whenever any other character/team needed a boost, a Hulk appearance was pure gold. Almost like the old adage about putting gorillas on pulp magazines in the 1930s to increase sales.

All of which makes me believe the Hulk should have a retro team-up title of his own. The Thing in a team-up title was just like another Fantastic Four story, but the Hulk would always have the tension of never knowing if he'd fight the guest star or help them, or both!

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

That Super Team Family cover posted by Brian Hague was my first Doom Patrol story.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

My first X-Men.

Ray Dyas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

First Fantastic Four at age six courtesy of my comic collecting uncle's collection.

Knew who Spider-Man was from the old 1960's cartoon repeats growing up but this was the first Spider-Man comic I read back then also from the same uncle's old collection.

First Avengers issue I bought as a kid.

First X-Men.

I never really got into or liked the Justice League of America until this issue.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

(That Avengers/Ant-Man cover makes me very itchy...)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

Eric Smearman wrote: "That Super Team Family cover posted by Brian Hague was my first Doom Patrol story."

Eric, I'd believe it was my first Doom Patrol story as well, except that I distinctly recall my father handing it to me and my reaction being, "But the Doom Patrol is dead..."

How I knew that, I have no idea, but I must have seen the Doom Patrol somewhere before this. Perhaps they were mentioned in a 100-pager's special feature somewhere...

Chad, I'm with you all the way on that particular era of the Hulk. I, too, have fond memories of that 3-D Man appearance as well as stories featuring Goldbug, Jack Frost, Glazier, and the U-Foes! Good stuff!!

And yeah, the Valkyrie is a particular fave as well... Whoof!! I loved the fact that she couldn't make coffee...

Other firsts: First Joker, Two-Face Penguin, Catwoman, Black Hood, Fly, Steel Sterling, Fox, Pureheart, Cpt. Hero, Superteen, Space Ranger, Bat Lash, Angel O'Day, Sam Simeon, Sugar & Spike, and Dolphin!

Benjamin Ledbetter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

First comic I read starring Spider-Man, got a really beat up copy in a trade (can't remember what I gave up though)

Amazing Spider-Man 239 - Hobgoblin - April - Superhero - Spiderweb - 60 Cents - John Romita

First Fantastic Four, I remember the cover was barely still attached when I got it from a friend.

Fantastic Four 182 - Force Field - Brute - Negative Zone - Alone - Sue Storm

First comic starring Wonder Woman, whom I knew from the Superfriends, but it also introduced me to Madam Xanadu, Black Canary, Supergirl (in my favorite costume for her) and scores of other DC female characters.

Wonder Woman 292 - Dick Giordano, Ross Andru

Benjamin Ledbetter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

First Daredevil, because I started looking for John Romita JR comics

Daredevil 256 - Al Williamson, John Romita

First Mandarin, I had no idea for a couple of years that he was a major Iron Man foe, I only followed Iron Man in Avengers West Coast.

Uncanny X-Men 257 - Marvel Comics - Helmet - Wolverine - Blade - Belt - Jim Lee

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2009 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

I remember (and still have) that Archie Super Hero digest.  I remember being blown away that there was a Neal Adams story in there, and later I was even more surprised to find it was heretofore unpublished and made its debut in that digest.  Couple of nice Kirby-drawn Shield stories in there too.  

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 12  

I didn't know Neal Adams and Kirby worked on those. *sigh* Archie Comics are sitting on so many cool reprints they could have. That an all the obscure DeCarlo stuff that's impossible to find in a decent condition.  I knew Neal worked for them, but I thought it was on their Riverdale set comics.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 22 December 2009 at 10:57am

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version