Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Is it really worth it?! (from Scoop!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

Anthony Frail wrote:
I've never understood wanting to buy an expensive comic book when reproductions are available to be read

For the most part I agree with that.  I've been moving more and more toward reprint collections over individual issues even for new comics, and that's not even reliably cheaper than buying individual issues -- just more convenient to read and store.  When you add in the often considerable cost savings of buying reprints of expensive books, at least nine times out of ten it seems like a no-brainer to me.  All of that said, there's still a part of me that likes the idea of having some original copies of older books if they aren't too expensive even if a cheap reprint option exists.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 2  

Andy Mokler: I think you make a valid point. I'm careful with my own collection even if I don't have anything too valuable .

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

…it doesn't seem to hurt anyone…

••

How about the people who spent big bucks to amass huge collections of
"hot" comics that they now cannot give away?

I'm reminded of the writer for CBG who, when SPAWN #1 hit $90 in "value"
called around to a number of retails across the country, saying he had a
copy that he would like to sell for that price. They all said they were not
really interested, since they already had small mountains of the issue. The
highest offer he got was 25¢.

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

I guess I just disagree.  Gold is certainly more universally desired than a comic book but a rarity that someone is willing to pay for is what we're talking about here.

Maybe I'm missing the emphasis being offered by others but being disgusted by Marvel Comics #1 selling for $20,000 seems to say that comics shouldn't be considered valuable on principle.  I mean, Spawn #1 hitting $90 in the price guide is a separate conversation than Incredible Hulk #1 selling for $90,000.

One is a conversation about speculators, artificial/false information coming from who knows where and in particular about a comic book that is readily available and nothing resembling rare or valuable to anyone who has any rationale. 

But if we take CGC out of the conversation and just use whatever way they used to do it before CGC, is there really a problem with key issues selling for high dollars?  They're collectibles, rare and sought after.  Why should comic books be any different than any of the other pointless rarities?

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 5  

This is why I am amazed by the disparity in the sale prices of old comics
and the original art that was used to produce them. In recent years we
have seen original art creep up in price, but these one-of-a-kind items
still sell for much less than the comics they appeared in. Where's the sense
in that? It's akin to being offered a chance to buy the Mona Lisa, but
opting instead to pay more for a copy of the first art history book in
which the painting was reproduced.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Do all artists get to keep their original work now and what happens to all the work by past artists?  Is past artwork the property of Marvel (or any company involved) or the artists, if still alive?

Reason I ask I saw this and wondered who ended up with this piece or pieces like this.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

I can understand something from the 40s or even the 60s being worth something if the demand for it is greater than the supply - after all, that's the real 'amaerican way' right?

But when crazy speculation causes people to think a comic book, which there are literally hundreds of thousands of copies of, is a valuable collectible.

No wonder comic books followed baseball cards right into the dumper for the speculators.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

I bag and board the majority of my comics - every issue of Dark Horse' Conan series and Geoff Johns' Green Lantern is sitting bagged and boarded in a long box. I keep my other series like that too - Castle Waiting, Fell, Secret Six, Wonder Woman. 

Why? Because I think they're worth money? No! Because I think they're worth something TO ME. I paid for them. I want to be able to re-read them for years to come. I keep them dry, I keep them boarded so they don't get torn, not because I am thinking of resale value, but because I have a job and I make money and that's what I spend my money on and I want to protect it so I can keep enjoying it. 

I break out the Deadshot mini from a few years ago every now and then, and sometimes I go back and re-read Stardust Kid or the first three issues of Abadazad. I like taking a stack out, opening them up, and putting the pile on my nightstand to work through for a few nights before going to sleep. Then, they get rebagged and boarded, and put away safely for the next time. 

Even my regular books, when I don't buy used, don't look like I've read them because I don't like to bend the spines wide open. I'm really quite meticulous with my reading material - I love to read, and books are important to me. 

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ha!  I'm with ya there Brad!  I'm the same way.  I cringe when cashiers rough up random magazines I might buy at a grocery store!  It's not about "value" as much as just an inherent desire to take care of my reading material.

I understand and appreciate the value of old and scarce comics.  I don't understand perceived values of comics increasing by 10, 20, 30 times or more due to a plastic case being sealed around them.  That's stupid.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

Just this year I finally retired my first set of Lord of the Rings paperbacks. I've read them probably 18 times in the 15 years I've had them (at least once a year) but it's now to the point where they're starting to look like someone else read them once or twice. 

So, I've officially moved on to the one volume hardcover edition. Read it for the first time a couple months ago. I can thank comics for that - Absolute Editions and Marvel Omnibus Editions have certainly made me a stronger reader in the physical sense, so that holding a 1000+ pages of Tolkien seems light in comparison. 

I want those first paperbacks I bought as a 14 year old to last my lifetime - though I think when I have kids of that age I'll buy them their own copies. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2009 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

I like taking a stack out, opening them up, and putting the pile on my nightstand to work through for a few nights before going to sleep. Then, they get rebagged and boarded, and put away safely for the next time.

Wow. It's like looking thru a mirror.

Back to Top profile | search

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2009 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 11  

Part of what people are paying for when it comes to CGC is that for the most part it's a universal grade arrived at by experts that everyone can agree upon. They're also paying for the peace of mind knowing they're not purchasing something that's been restored ( those have a different label than the unrestored books ). The days of high grade CGC books going for multiples of unslabbed prices is pretty much over. From what I've seen, you're going to pay a lot for a key issue in high grade whether it's slabbed or not.

For the record, I like reading my comics and not having them be encased in little coffins. But I also like keeping them in good shape as well. There's something cool to me about pulling out a comic to read that's over 30 years old and having it look as fresh as it did when I purchased it at the local 7-11.

Casey

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2009 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm very careful with my collection too. Although I don't really have valuable issues...

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version