Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Dick Giordano regrets "Grim and Gritty" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 1  

Didn't Frank Miller also claim that some famous writer came to him and told him that "he had ruined Batman"? I would love to know who that was!

Now I'm curious too .

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 2  

When he was working on DKR Frank kept telling me I would "like" and
"approve of" his handling of Superman -- tho he did not show it to me.
(Recall that I was at work on MoS at the same time.) When I did finally see
DKR, tho I liked many of the things Frank did, his handling of Superman was
not among them. There was no way I could draw a line between "my"
Superman (or any other) and the government stooge who would deliberately
maim Oliver Queen. This was no Superman I knew.

Of course, this was a "future" Superman who worked for a Ronald Reagan
who was still president long past his two terms -- as is Nixon in
WATCHMEN. Like Moore, Frank casually rewrites the Constitution -- tho I
would have expected Frank to know better.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

There was no way I could draw a line between "my"
Superman (or any other) and the government stooge who would deliberately
maim Oliver Queen. This was no Superman I knew.

------------------------------------------------------------ -------

It's been a while since I last looked at DKR, but I always took from it that Green Arrow had not been deliberately maimed. He sort of makes a reference to getting even or something whilst holding his stump, as I recall. The backstory playing in my head, rightly or wrongly, is of him losing the limb as the accidental consequence of a fracas with Superman, for which he naturally bears a grudge.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

The backstory playing in my head, rightly or wrongly, is of him losing the
limb as the accidental consequence of a fracas with Superman, for which he
naturally bears a grudge.

••

Plausible -- if, in the key scene, Queen is speaking in non-sequiturs.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

I felt like DARK KNIGHT RETURNS did for Batman what Geoff Johns and his ilk are doing for Green Lantern currently: lionizing them within their own fictional universes.

Johns and Miller take/took the tact of deciding Batman/Green Lantern is the swinging d*ck of their universe. The result is Batman beating Superman in a manner/method which an experienced Superman should have seen coming (and frankly, Miller single-handedly ruined the Superman character for the fanboys...making Superman the kind of stupid Government tool everyone hates on sight)...I saw the end of DKR and felt like it was a giant wankery. Green Lantern is getting his share right now, as Johns ladles on the hero worship from Hal Jordan's contemporaries. It's pretty embarrassing, and worse obvious in every way.

For me, that's really the shame of "grim/gritty"...it wasn't the story content being altered, or even the characters being changed for "realism" purposes...no, I think the real failure is in maintaining character integrity.

This has a two-fold meaning for "character", when speaking of superheroes, as "character" is what the superhero is as a construct, and the "character" is the persona of the construct.

Integrity is a simple directive of the moral/ethical choices a character must make. All characters have choices to make. And the superhero, above all other characters, must do the right thing at all times. And in fact, and even moreso, the superhero must do the right thing even if no one is watching. I'd say this obviously extends to doing the right thing to the superhero's own detriment, but that's, well, obvious. Or should be.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

You ever notice how aware most comic book writers are of the media now? How every comic book superhero battle is being recorded, commented on, observed by technology? How often, today, do we see vast conflicts and severe life-threatening choices being made without someone being aware of it? Some media, or witnesses, or someone to see.

I think the desire of the writer to be famous has been transposed to the superhero story. Their grown desire to be more than they are, to be a celebrity, has crept into the superhero story and made it a public farce. These aren't kids with dreams who want to dream with the heroes...they (in general) require someone to accept their level of writing talent as more important than it is.

You'll note the classic writers/artists in comics, in the 1960s/1970s, had a much more critical view of society and media. J. Jonah Jameson was the sensationalist whose dangerous fanaticism reflected a closed, ignorant mass public. Most of the Silver Age happens without public commentary...the world looks on while these grand superheroic beings battle, but they do so as spectators trusting the superhuman to have character integrity. Even if the fictional civilian is suspicious of the superhero, in the end the superhero was proven trustworthy to the individual.

Today's writers hardly criticise their society's modus operendi, but exalt in the vicious atomic changes technology and media cause just by existing. Leaving the superhero with little to do but change in order to exist as well.

Really, really depressing times.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

You would think that after the under performance of Watchmen at the box office, the big 2 would get hint that most people don't wanr superheroes to be extrem3ly "realistic"and "grim and gritty".

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2009 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 8  

Rick - of course, Watchmen is countered in that regard by the Dark Knight, which is the second highest grossing film of all time and is a "grim and gritty" "realistic" take on superheroes. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 November 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 9  

Important -- and EXTREMELY annoying -- to remember, that to civilian
audiences the "grim and gritty" approach seen in movies is distinctly a
Hollywood invention. Most non-readers have no idea this stuff has been
going on in comics for decades. Tim Burton's BATMAN won great praise for
Burton for his "vision", and hardly a mention of the efforts that had been
made in the comics for fifteen years, trying to shed the Adam West
stereotype.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2009 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 10  

Which is why I never look forward to comic book movies anymore. They have little to do with the actual books the characters come from, for good or for bad. Usually the latter.

Whenever someone talks of a possible new Superman movie, the word "darker" is mentioned without fail in regards to how it should be approached. Which is how I know not to invest time or energy in anticipating the end result.

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 11  

I agree.  I've pretty much given up watching any superhero movies.  I'll see Iron Man 2, but that may be it.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2009 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 12  

Brad, comparing the Watchmen movie to the TDK movie is like comparing apples to oranges. While TDK had some "realistic" and "dark and gritty" elements, the movie did'nt go to the extremes that Watchmen did.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version