Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Dick Giordano regrets "Grim and Gritty" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've read a LOT of books, from a LOT of different sources. You know who says Hitler was a Jew? Neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers.

In Europe, neo-nazis follow very strictly that the Jew is public enemy number one. It is therefore impossible for them that Hitler is a Jew. To me only a Nazi would be disgusted or even care about an error concerning races. You can point out that I was wrong, but your reaction about something that doesn't matter (a person's race) to normal people I find a little too much, I'm sorry.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

"The person who said this to the class, was the teacher and he was also the headmaster of the school and he also was the author behind the books we learned from. Those books went to schools all over Sweden and they were checked by the authorities."

Sure. But as you yourself said, he didn't put that particular bit of information in the books, did he? Because if he did, he would nho longter be the writer of the educational books you used in class, nor would he be your teacher.

Historians of far greater standing have debunked that claim as nonsense,  IN PRINT!  What your teacher rants about in the classroom is just bunk. He didn't even have the balls to wirte about it in his own books. That should be all you need.

You were taught a lie, Lars. Deal with it.

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

But as you yourself said, he didn't put that particular bit of information in the books, did he?

No.

You were taught a lie, Lars. Deal with it.

I have dealt with worse lies from that person, so it's not a problem at all, and he was a former priest btw, but that particular lie makes no sense! So another theory I have is that he "was" a Jew at the time according to experts and the historians came up with the fact that he was not later.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

wrote:
Comics and movies are forms of communication and therefore a valid form of teaching.  It's only corrupt information and bad presentation that can cause them to be bad for education.

I think Ian Palmer might disagree with you. In fact many people do, which is why comics and movies are often dismissed as being irrelevant to the way people learn about the world, when in reality I believe that much of our world view comes from the various stories we hear, especially those which use historical backdrops or reinforce certain stereotypes. Grim and gritty paints an awfully depressing, violent and negative image of the world, with the ends always justifying the means. How can this not have an impact on the people reading these stories? If your hero is a psychopathic killer, what does this say about you?

As the discussion above has demonstrated, many facts can eventually be replaced with popular misconceptions, even among educated and intelligent people.

For example, to lay open the idiocy of Hitler's racial messages, all one needs is  a simple understanding of history. Persians are Aryans; Iran means "land of Aryans", and the King was called "Aryamehr", which means "Light of the Aryans". Hitler knew this, which is why he called on the then King of Persia to rename Persia back to Iran.

If the general public knew these facts, any Neo-Nazi, skinhead, White Supremicist and other crackpots using Aryanism as some sort of mark of racial purity would be easily dismissed, and their numbers would dwindle, as the facts completely undermine the fallacy that Aryans are purely blonde, blue-eyed super men. HItler's message of racial purity is laid open as the lie it really was.

Just the same as if everyone knew the true history of Spartans, we wouldn't be celebrating them in popular fiction as defenders of freedom, and worthy of admiration. Not if more people knew that the Spartans' entire economic and social system was based on barbaric slavery of their fellow Greeks. It would be like celebrating the Nazis as heroes, it just wouldn't be done.

But people don't know, that's the problem - they get their facts from hearsay, misinformation, Wikipedia, misguided teachers and popular media.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 19 November 2009 at 4:17pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

"but that particular lie makes no sense"

Yes, it does. To Anti-semites! Because it places the guilt of the Holocaust not on "pure aryan christians" but on a "self-loathing Jew". That is what we've been trying to tell you. The lie makes perfect sense to a lot of European and Middle-eastern anti-semites. Not to Neo-Nazis, no, but honestly, they are not really the driving force of modern anti-semitism. The Neo-nazis are just a small bunch of ignorant thugs who'd hate anyone as long as it makes them feel that their failures are someone else's fault.  

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Just the same as if everyone knew the true history of Spartans, we wouldn't be celebrating them in popular fiction as defenders of freedom, and worthy of admiration. Not if more people knew that the Spartans' entire economic and social system was based on barbaric slavery of their fellow Greeks. It would be like celebrating the Nazis as heroes, it just wouldn't be done.

It's obvious you hate "300," Koroush, but your own bias is showing. Sparta and other Greek citystates (though not every one) fought to stay free from Persian rule. This is a fact. The Persians didn't invade Greece to spread peace and love. Whether the effort to defend themselves against the Persian Empire or any other Spartan achievement is worth admiring is a matter of opinion -- but in any event hardly akin to a sick celebration of Nazi "heroes."

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

And 300 is a story about whatever it's a story about (it's not wholly about individualists, because there's stuff about fellowship and loyalty, esprit de corps, there too), and not an attempt to prove that Persians are bad people. To the extent that the Persians represent anything in the story, they represent it for the story, not vice versa.

I think 300 would be exactly the same if everyone knew ancient Sparta intimately, because it's a story. It was thousands of years ago, and nobody cares. Much of Hollywood's output set in the present day is not much like real life, and nobody cares.

I doubt if many people in 300's audience, if they even connect pre-Common-Era Persia with modern Iran, perceive the people of the Iranian political entity or those of the Persian ethnic group in ways determined by the portrayal of ancient Persians in either the film or the comic.

Enlightened and educated by everything you've written, Koroush, I still think 300 is better than DKR2 and not as good as DKR or Sin City: I still see it just as I did before you wrote anything at all. It's irrelevant to my view of or (mostly) ignorance about Iran or Persians. Isn't it a relief to you that some of us are not corrupted by historically-inaccurate fiction?

IMP.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Michael Penn wrote:
It's obvious you hate "300," Koroush, but your own biasis showing. Sparta and other Greek city states (though not every one)fought to stay free from Persian rule. This is a fact. The Persians didn't invade Greece to spread peace and love.

I'm sorry, but this is not a fact, it is a form of misinformation reinforced by popular accounts. There is a cause and effect here you are completely ignoring.

The Persians invaded Greece in retaliation for several acts of the Greeks against the Persians. The only surviving records of this are from Herodotus, the man being a rather hypocritical Greek "Historian"/novelist who chose to live in Persia but wrote many mythical and highly exaggerated stories pointing out Persian "despotism", we must take these with a gigantic grain of salt.

Even in Herodotus' works however, he records that the Persians attacked the Greeks in retaliation for Greek piracy on Persian ships, and more importantly, the Greeks had earlier attacked the Persian city of Sardis, surrounded the city and burning thousands of civilians alive. In effect the Greeks had been carrying out a guerrilla campaign against the Persians.

So despite popular belief, the Persians didn't march into Greece as despotic invaders, and the Spartans did not stand up to these invaders for noble reasons. After years of hounding the Persians and attacking them with terrorist-style attacks, the Persians finally had a gutful and decided to march on Greece to stem the attacks at the source. With roughly 7,000 Greeks (not just 300 Spartans) holding a narrow pass against what may be as little as 30,000 Persians, the tale is not one of amazing heroism, but more akin to the Taliban fighting American troops in Iraq from fortified mountain positions.

Furthermore the Spartans routinely attacked other Greeks, and ironically, at a later date the Spartans colluded with the Persians against Athens. These were not freedom fighters in any sense of the word, they are not a group of people to hold up in admiration.

Suffice it to say that Xenophon, another famous Greek, wrote a book on how to be a King based on the life of the Persian King Cyrus the Great. The Greek accounts of the Persians (Herodotus aside) are all grudgingly positive. As I say, ironically, Herodotus chose to live in Persia not Greece because of the freedoms afforded to him in Persia, where he could publish his work without being censored. That speaks volumes on the reality of the Persian Empire in my opinion.

I encourage you to read widely and think more carefully about any facts or "history" you encounter, especially in popular media. However you are welcome to believe whatever story you wish. It is not my job to educate you, nor indeed would you or anyone else welcome me doing that job. Sadly society does not value facts and information the way it does visually exciting but morally warped stories. As demonstrated repeatedly in this thread, even the most educated people seem completely unaware of the nonsense they swallow as fact on a daily basis.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 19 November 2009 at 7:04pm

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Sparta and other Greek citystates (though not every one) fought to stay free from Persian rule."

That's all I said, and it remains a fact. The history is indeed quite complex, I've studied it for decades, and I've denied none of it, from either the Greek or Persian (or any other) side, nor have I -- unlike you -- offered any value judgments, except to say that likening the Spartans to the Nazis is a patently unsustainable and rather sick analogy.

The Persian were invading Greece to force cities unwilling to submit to their Imperial rule to do just that, and those Greeks repelled them. A fact. A stubborn thing, as John Adams noted. Although perhaps not as stubborn as bias.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

There is absolutely no difference between the Spartans and the Nazis. Please explain to me how a completely undemocratic group of people who keep an entire sub-culture of slaves, which they hunt and ritually abuse, who make war on everyone around them, including their fellow Greeks, who have bizarre notions of military and racial supremacy, including killing their infants if they're not up to the racial ideal, are any different from the Nazis. The Spartans simply never got the chance to kill as many people because they were not as numerous or as advanced as the Germans. But it was not for lacking of trying, I can assure you.

What is truly sickening is that history has become so warped that the just have become portrayed as the despots, and the villains the heroes. And then to see these nut jobs glorified on the screen, with millions of teenagers and even adults looking up to 'Spartan ideals' is genuinely perverse.

Michael Penn wrote:
The Persian were invading Greece to force cities unwilling to submit to their Imperial rule to do just that, and those Greeks repelled them

The quote above could be rearranged to this:

The Americans were invading Afghanistan to force cities unwilling to submit to their Imperial rule to do just that, and the Taliban repelled them.

Would you accept a sentence like that in isolation? Because it is factual in many ways, but not quite the whole story, is it? Amazing things facts - content taken out of context always distorts reality.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 19 November 2009 at 9:17pm

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

" , but more akin to the Taliban fighting American troops in Iraq from fortified mountain positions"

Yeah, you can pretty much stop now.

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2009 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 12  

Hitler wasn't a jew - jews aren't a "race", it's a belief, a religion which Hitler didn't subscribe to. (To put it mildly)
End of story.

Edited by Mikael Bergkvist on 20 November 2009 at 12:11am

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version