Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Black or Blue? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I always liked the highlights used for Longshot, while usually just white on the pages, the covers used white, blue and ...yellow?

PS one of me favorite non-Byrne She-Hulk pics too

Edited by Keith Thomas on 09 November 2009 at 5:27pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jeffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Saw the heading of this thread and was hoping for a new commission of nightcrawler.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Clint Adams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've always seen Spider-Man's costume as so dark blue its almost black.  (again, just my opinion.)  Super-Man's hair so black it has a dark blue sheen under light.  Hulk's hair, so dark green it's almost black.  Black Panthers highlights?  Black Leather is highly reflective, so you have to have a visual shorthand for that and white is the highlight on a black costume. 

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Is there really anywhere out there dumb enough to think Superman has blue
hair??

When I was 7 or 8 I was sure Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne and even Conan the Barbarian actually had blue hair. Which is one of the things that fascinated me the most  ... in comic books people could have green or blue hair, not like boring real life. Sometimes I just miss that blue highlight, computer coloring has no room for blue hair  ... 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peyton Holden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Spider-Man's costume is red and blue.  The movies prove it.

Is my sarcasm obvious, or do I need an emoticon?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You know what?  We tend to over-analyze things sometimes.

This is simply because the printing techniques were so limited at the time that they had to use blue for the highlights for something that they couldn't make solid black.

Black Bolt, the Black Panther, the Black Widow, Black Lightning, Black Goliath, Ghost Rider's leathers, Superman's hair, the original X-Men school uniforms, etc.

If you want to see some really funky coloring go back to those Avengers issues where Bill Foster debuted as Marvel's first African-American supporting character and he was colored gray!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Blue Panther.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Blue Knight.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Blue Cat.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2009 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Blue Bolt.

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I don't think there's a "rule" for this. In my mind, Clark always had black/dark hair but the Hulk (given a similar treatment with a different color) has dark green hair, Samson has light green hair and Peter Parker dark brown hair. Black Panther uses a black uniform and Storm uses a "leathery" black uniform (not white!). Nefaria or Wonderman (WCA) use pitch black uniforms. Captain America uses a blue uniform.
Maybe I'm wrong but this is way it has been since I was 7 and started reading comics, nobody explained it to me.
I was always explaining this to my "non-comic readers" friends when they asked me why Superman had blue hair!
"Can't they see it's dark hair?!?!?"

Edited by Armindo Macieira on 10 November 2009 at 3:48am

Rich Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2009 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

if Spider-Man's costume is supposed to be blue, then why doesn't itmatch these guy's?  and why does it match their black gloves???

-And I'm the one deliberately missing the point?

For one, Spider-Man's costume and the FF are not the same hue. The blue of Spidey's costume would probably fall about  2.5 Purple Blue, Value 2, Chroma 6. The FF, a 5 Blue, Value 5, Chroma 10. Point two, their costumes are made of completely, differing materials -or at least we can assume that's the case since Peter's costume is given to tearing and shrinkage when drying out. Not the sort of material one would wear while on fire or stretching from a size L to a size 7000 L. Being of different molecular structures, you know like silk vs. cotton,  the surfaces of the material would reflects/absorbs/refracts light with a unique signature. So value scales would be different, although the light source constant. You know, like silk vs. cotton?
And the gloves? All hues, as they become more dark, lose their identifying quality. Variance becomes really subtle once you get below a value 2 on the Munsell Scale. But it's there. Jan van Eyck could see it, I'd wager. -Of course, subtle is exactly what you can't get with 4 color printing.

As for intelligent, since I'm only extrapolating the Form Principle as delineated by Andrew Loomis, Howard Pyle, Dean Cornwell and the like -along with the Munsell System of Color Notation- I find it hard to see where I'm not being guided by intelligent thought, no matter how in disagreement we may be. I will side with Pyle, Loomis and Cornwell against Jesus himself, if need be. These men are illuminaries in the world of image making. Which, I assume is what illustrating a comic book is all about. Applying, Principles of Art?

But thanks for all the images. I assumed people would grab images that help make their point. Now go back and grab images from Spider-Man where there isn't gobs of spotted black across the arms... Last time I looked, even the lit planes of a  black sweater still look black in daylight. So how many frakkin' candles was he swinging by to create such a humongous shift in value on his costume, where a value 1 surface would jump to value 8??? And light, being as it is, would shift the value of surrounding objects appropriately. So a value 1 material raised to a value 6. That's a +5 value step. So any object of an average value 7 -like say, skin- would be raised to the brightness of white light. And white? Well, that would knock your socks off.

Simply put, a black costume would be spotted black consistantly to a fill with only highlights. (Thor.) And any lit planes would actually be a value 4 or 5, only appearing 'light' by relative value to the darks around it.  A blue-ish black costume, say at value 2 or 3, would have lots of black as it moves anywhere near shadow. But 'light' it, and wide swaths of it would move to value towards a value 7 or 8.

Just like in the comics.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version