Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 1  

I like that Grummett cover.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2009 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 2  

I mean, what's the point of  a smoking ban. It's not like there's any impressionable youths reading comics anymore.

Oh, I don't know, all of a sudden I have this urge to put a toothpick in my mouth.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2009 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 3  

I hadn't really noticed that Fury was cigar-less until Stephane pointed it out.  It's not something that affects the story either way, it didn't detract from my reading experience, and if it has any part in influencing someone not to smoke, then I'm all for it.  If it bothers you, just tell yourself that Dum-Dum lost Fury's latest cigar shipment in a poker game, or that Fury left his stogies in his other coat.  It's not like he delivered a long monologue about how glad he is that he never lit up a cigar in his life and that he's looking forward to that fine shipment of Cuban toothpicks that his buddies J. Jonah Jameson and Howard The Duck bought for his birthday.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm a big fan of Secret Six, and Deadshot's retort to Catman about lighting up on an airfield around jet fuel.

"I'd be more concerned about what happens if I don't light this up."

Look, I don't smoke. I tell kids not to smoke. I think it's disgusting. I get turned off when I see a great looking woman light up. It's a deal breaker in relationships for me.

Know what? Logan smokes. Fury, JJJ, and Ben Grimm smoke cigars. I have no trouble with it. They're characters in comic books that smoke cigars.

I'd have trouble with Daredevil taking up smoking, or Spider-Man, or Captain America. But the guys above? It's part of their image. They're the kinds of guys who smoke cigars. I'm not - they are. Cool beans.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2009 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

The ban on cigarettes in Marvel Comics is just damn peculiar, and the reasoning behind it is bizarre.  If a relative of Joe Quesada had been shot, would there be a ban on guns in the comics?  If he'd had a relative die of diabetes, would there be no candy bars or obese characters? 

If children still read comics I guess you could make an argument for the ban, but we all know they don't in any sufficient numbers.  And as others have pointed out, there are so many other dangerous and questionable behaviors shown in Marvel Comics today that banning cigarettes to avoid influencing readers into doing something unhealthy is completely arbitrary.  It's like Larry Flynt suddenly deciding no uncovered navels should be shown in his magazines.  

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2009 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 6  

The bit that got me was the issue of Waid/Weiringo's FF where they meet God - aka Jack Kirby - and Kirby's cigar is in an ashtray, not his mouth, because that's the only way they'd allow the cigar to be shown.

Jack Kirby can't even light up a stogie in the Marvel U, and he's God! It's lunacy!

Jay Famous
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2009 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 7  

Jack Kirby can't even light up a stogie in the Marvel U, and he's God!+++

Jack would have approved.

Edited by Jay Famous on 19 September 2009 at 3:08am

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2009 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 8  

Nick Fury without his cigar is like Thor without his hammer, it just ain't right!

Edited to add....

There is an issue of something (I can't remember which title) from the 70's where Dum Dum is talking to Nick through the shower curtain and Nick sticks his head out and is puffing on a cigar in the shower. Not sure if it was a goof by the artist or an inside joke, but that was classic Fury.

Edited by Michael Todd on 19 September 2009 at 5:40am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2009 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

Oh, I don't know, all of a sudden I have this urge to put a toothpick in my mouth.

I have a confession to make, I have a toothpick in my mouth right now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version