Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 1  

Steve, you have a good point.
In Brazil, Marvel was published by a company called "Abril" (yes guys, the License is not new, would only be something new in North America) that for many years that used a completely different format, more pages, the magazines had 84 pages and the main character was always the "famous" (like Spider Man, Hulk, etc) and the magazine would have histories of several characters, like the Mangas in Japan.
I would not be surprised if we experience changes in the next 2 years.
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 2  

"but for a multi-national conglomerate to consider Marvel Comics to be a too-burdensome enterprise leaves me scratching my head."

The whole conglomerate doesn't have to consider anything.  You really just need one executive with a bee in his bonnet and no one else who really cares enough to stop him.  Look at Doctor Who.  Here was a profitable and historic franchise for the BBC that they let John Nathan Turner run into the ground.  The show was in decline for years, yet JNT was left in charge because there was no BBC executive who really wanted to bother with trying to save Doctor Who.

Mike

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 3  

in time, few years ago the Super Heroes were no longer "profitable" enough for Abril and they simply decided to stop publishing Super Heroes. Then "Panini" came and now Marvel Comics AND DC are published by Panini. (as it was with "Abril", and "RGE", and "Bloch", and "Ebal", and "GEP" - All publishing houses in Brazil that in the past 40 years published Super Heroes from Marvel Comics and DC).

Robert Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 4  

You really just need one executive with a bee in his bonnet and no one else who really cares enough to stop him.

---------------

I certainly have no counter to your 'vendetta executive' argument.  It sparkles.

Edited by Robert Young on 04 September 2009 at 8:30am

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 5  

So, they spend 4 Billion for a company that is know primarily for creating comics, which makes a profit from said comics, and then even think of shutting down that part of their new company? Some Disney executive will now be in charge of the company, which doesn't have a lot of employees, relatively speaking, and is already using independent contractors to produce the comics. There might be a few redundancies in that crop of "real" employees (doubtful), but aside from that, what reason is there to change anything? Advocating the shutting down of a profitable enterprise seems counter-productive.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 6  

In refrence to the Kirby Mickey Mouse image . It is supposedly from a coffee table book The Art of Mickey Mouse by Craig Yoe
Here's a link to his website
http://superitch.com/?p=1839

Here's a link to the book on barnes and nobles if anyone is interested
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD= craig+yoe+mickey+mouse&box=craig%20yoe%20mickey%20mouse& amp;pos=-1

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 7  

Dave,

Even if you make a profit, that is not the only "metric" used by the financial markets to "price" your company stock.
For example, I work for a Gold Mining company, and we are VERY profitable, BUT one of our operations is not making as much as other mines. The price of Gold is around USD 900/OZ and our average cost is around USD 450/OZ. So, the operation having a cash cost of USD 600/OZ is still very profitable, BUT, is making the performance of the other mines look bad, so, my poin is, unless Marvel Publishing Business makes as much as the other revenue streams, the fact that it makes "profits" is not enough to save it. Because the alternative could be License the publishing business (like they do around the world) to other companies and have a better "picture" in the balance sheet.
Big corporations like Disney are all about the Stock Prices and what happens at the NYSE is far more important than anything else. I am sure that they have a plan, I just don't know what the plan is.
If I am to guess or to bet on that, I would say they will spin-off the publish business and sell it under License contracts for the use of the characters.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 8  

Disney is a loose-canon when it comes to this type of issue.  It has a historic need to micro-manage and protect its family friendly image.  It just bought this valuable stable of all-ages properties that comes with a tiny comic-book producing appendage.  The money in the comic book part is so insignifcant to the total number of dollars involved in buying Marvel that publishing comics is merely a side-show to the central issue of Marvel's properties and licensing.

Disney's size and history makes it impossible to rule out the shutting down of Marvel Comics when looking forward from this point. 

One certain thing is that Disney will not put up with anything it perceives as threatening its central brand.  Marvel Comics could drive itself into the meat grinder if it wants to.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 9  

If Marvel publishing got shut down DC and the Indies would not be able to fill the void. Fans would stop going to their LCS. It would be the end of the industry as we know it.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 04 September 2009 at 9:44am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 10  

"Advocating the shutting down of a profitable enterprise seems counter-productive."

Have you been reading the financial pages in the last year?  What you or I or actual normal people might think does not appear to have much relation to what business people think.

Mike

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 11  

" It has a historic need to micro-manage and protect its family friendly image."

And there's a decade's worth of adult-oriented crap to give them reason to shutter Marvel.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 12  

So, since Disney has no practical experience publishing on its own,acquiring a publishing house such as Marvel will indeed requirelearning a whole new set of skills.

++

JB, did you miss the several posts where people pointed out that Disney actually currently owns and runs one of the largest children's publishing houses in the world? They don't publish comics, but they have a huge business publishing magazines and books.

••

"Comics" was inadvertently omitted from my comment. Since comics are what we mostly talk about around here, I sometimes forget to make the necessary distinguishing addition.

Disney has no practical experience publishing comics -- which is a venture entirely different from almost any other form of publishing today.

That said, I am now going to step away from this thread. There are simply too many people here who desperately want or need Marvel Comics to survive, and that need is clouding their perceptions.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version