Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
"Marvel comics is already the most successful comic book publisher onEarth. They'd likely make less money farming out the work to a compnaythat's not nearly as successful as Marvel."

In what Earth do you live? Because on this Earth, japanese publisher Shueisha sells 3 million copies of the Weekly Shonen Jump comic every WEEK - and that's hardly the only comic they put out!

A bunch of japanese and european comic book publishers easily kick Marvel's behind. Including many Disney licensors (and Disney itself in Italy).

You're 100% correct. I misspoke and should have said the number one publisher of superhero comics on Earth or the number one publisher of comics in North America.

Nevertheless, $125 million a year is not a profit I'd imagine Disney is willing to throw away for no discernable reason. The money making machine is already in place. They stand to gain nothing by shutting down Marvel and likely see the publishing wing as a way to start paying off a small portion of that massive $4 billion investment.

As most of their major characters are tied up with other film companies for the next several years (Spider-Man with Sony, FF/X-Men/Ghost Rider with Fox, Iron Man/Captain America/Thor with Paramount, etc.), comics will definitely be one of the profit sources Disney will be able to take advantage of.

Back to Top profile | search

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 2  

Nathan Greno,

Thanks for the reply, and for posting the MU poster!  Very nice!  :-)

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 3  

Is there a larger version on the 'Net of that MU poster?  I'd like to see the characters more defined and know who the artist is.  I thought JB did most or all of the OHOTMU Vol. 2.  Is this the same work, but amalgamated?

Edited by Dan Walsh on 04 September 2009 at 7:29am

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 4  

Ed Hannigan and Joe Rubinstein did all the covers for Vol 1, which is what that poster is made from.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Comparing that poster to the original covers I see lots of costume changes.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 6  

Sometimes companies prefer to spend $0 to make $10 million than spending $10 million to make $30 million.

---------------

That's funny!  You must be a riot at the shareholders' meetings...

------------------

Don't laugh - That's completely true. I'm working with a company at the moment that is doing exactly that. I work with companies ALL THE TIME that do this.

Back in my retail days that was called "percentage profit."  On a much smaller scale, it's why a store would rather sell a store-brand item than a name brand that costs more.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 7  

Don't laugh - That's completely true. I'm working with a company at the moment that is doing exactly that. I work with companies ALL THE TIME that do this.

---------------

That may be true, but I believe that circumstances dictate such a move, and no one has provided a credible reason for Disney to go in this direction.  Disney does not have to learn a new skill set or spend any additional money for the Marvel publishing division to continue doing what it's already doing.

Do the companies that you work with that do this ALL THE TIME do it on a whim or is there some other overriding reason?  Be specific.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 8  

…no one has provided a credible reason for Disney to go in this direction. Disney does not have to learn a new skill set or spend any additional money for the Marvel publishing division to continue doing what it's already doing.

••

Disney is a tight ship. They are disinclined to hand out their characters to licensees and then step back and let the winds blow them where they may. So, since Disney has no practical experience publishing on its own, acquiring a publishing house such as Marvel will indeed require learning a whole new set of skills. The likelihood that they will simply say "Carry on, gents!" -- especially if anything like the Disney brand is going to be visibly attached to the product -- seems extraordinarily remote.

So, again, the question is why they should make the effort when simply shutting down Marvel Comics will literally cost them nothing.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 9  

Didn't the Disney CEO say something to the effect that they don't see the need to brand everything as "Disney" when referring to the purchase of Marvel?  If that's the case why would they dismantle what is already a proven revenue stream?  I know all about the shrinking audience, but that aside, Marvel ENTERTAINMENT's publishing arm is very profitable and has been getting more and more profitable over the last several years.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 10  

So, since Disney has no practical experience publishing on its own,acquiring a publishing house such as Marvel will indeed requirelearning a whole new set of skills.

-----------------------------------

JB, did you miss the several posts where people pointed out that Disney actually currently owns and runs one of the largest children's publishing houses in the world?  They don't publish comics, but they have a huge business publishing magazines and books.

Since we're all speculating, its possible that Disney could use their magazine distribution and business to actually take Marvel Comics back to what they original were, comics magazines, and leverage them back into all kinds of places where they've fallen out in recent years.  And bring back real subscriptions while they're at it.  Disney could theoretically look at the Direct Market, see its failings, and shut down Marvel publishing...or they could look at it, see its failings as opposed to their magazine distribution successes, re-channel Marvel Comics back onto the magazine racks.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 11  

So, again, the question is why they should make the effort when simplyshutting down Marvel Comics will literally cost them nothing.
+++
John Byrne, by shutting down you mean "spin-off" the publishing business and license the characters to the "buyer" (so to speak) and doing a strong character management (in that Disney is very good).
The question is: Are there any "buyers" for that business? How much money would they be willing to pay as license fee to use Marvel Characters (considering that Disney will impose strong "do's and dont's" that will restrict creative liberty)? Many characters that don't sell well are going to disapear or Disney will wnat to keep them "alive"?

Robert Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2009 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 12  

So, again, the question is why they should make the effort when simply shutting down Marvel Comics will literally cost them nothing.

---------------

Apparently we're coming at this from two different directions, JB.  Disney has incredible resources including, I presume, the ability to hire a publishing consultant.  I don't see 'the effort' being particularly insurmountable or costly.  Shutting down Marvel Comics may cost very little, except for the $40 million operating profit that Marvel Comics can presumably continue to produce.  Should Disney maintain a corporate culture that decries the need for human capital, they may shut it down for just that reason, but for a multi-national conglomerate to consider Marvel Comics to be a too-burdensome enterprise leaves me scratching my head.  Certainly developing film properties and network broadcasting were much tougher nuts to crack when the time came to consider resource allocation.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version