Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

Agreed Brad, I would not be surprised even if basic things, like the haircut is not the same these days...

On the topic of standardize the characters "visual identity", I really liked Bruce Timm's Batman (for me the best Batman of all times) and I wonder if Disney have plans to do that, Stan Lee was quick in pointing that character management is one of the Disney strengths.
Back to Top profile | search

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Marvel comics is already the most successful comic book publisher onEarth. They'd likely make less money farming out the work to a compnaythat's not nearly as successful as Marvel."

In what Earth do you live? Because on this Earth, japanese publisher Shueisha sells 3 million copies of the Weekly Shonen Jump comic every WEEK - and that's hardly the only comic they put out!

A bunch of japanese and european comic book publishers easily kick Marvel's behind. Including many Disney licensors (and Disney itself in Italy).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

Good point Pedro!
I've read not long ago that Manga in Japan is a billion dollar market in revenues, way ahead of America and Europe.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

Now, think about it... all those talented Disney artists in the Animation department... They can draw on model, they are fast, ...

Me think Blacksaad...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

By the way, I'm quite sure that Blacksad was created while Guarnido was still working on Disney Animation. Contracts where everything a guy does - even on his free time - belongs to the company don't fly on Europe...

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Very interesting opinions all around about the publishing aspect. I didn't think they would shut down publishing, but as this thread goes on there are indeed very valid reasons based on Disney's history.

For some reason my sense is they will continue publishing. Disney knows how to tap into a passionate fan base - in the same way some comic book fans can be obsessive, there are similar Disney park and film fans. Disney has been savvy in how they target them.

Cutting publishing would be a drastic, New Coke-ish kind of sea change that would effect a passionate and vocal fan base. A fan base that has proven to be an opinion leader on building grass roots support for films, but only when they are quality films. While cutting publishing may seem like a smart business move, there's no denying the impact San Diego Comic Con and Ain't It Cool News have had on the entertainment industry. Keeping the characters in active publication may prove important to tapping into this group and ensuring they are along for teh ride.

But while I think publishing will survive, I think this may indeed be the moment when the form changes. This may be when Marvel stops publishing 22 page monthlies and goes to manga style trade paperbacks. The frequency of the titles could still be monthly or even weekly, but they need less titles, and each title needs more content per book.

And with this format I hope the content moves to a universal, all ages editorial approach that satisfies the older readers while being accessible to younger readers. Something like "Marvel Adventures" is completely counterintuitive to achieving a healthy readership. Once kids grow out of those titles, you lose them. You need titles that younger kids see older kids reading. Young kids strive to do what older kids do - that's how you get them both.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

Jeff Smith was a Disney animator wasn't he?  Is he a fast worker?

Robert Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

Sometimes companies prefer to spend $0 to make $10 million than spending $10 million to make $30 million.

---------------

That's funny!  You must be a riot at the shareholders' meetings...

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

Marcio Ferreira: Nathan Greno, do me a favor, grow up will you?
-------------------

Sure. I'll put that at the top of my "To Do" list.

By the way, you forgot to point out all of my posts where I was "thinking like a comic book fan"....

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

Emery Calame: Jeff Smith was a Disney animator wasn't he?  Is he a fast worker?

-------------

"Bone/Rasl" Jeff Smith? He started Character Builders -- an animation studio in Columbus, Ohio. I've never heard of him working for the mouse...?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

Dan Walsh: Q's for JB & Nathan Greno,

If (these are hypothetical questions) Marvel publishing is eventuallyshut down, and thus Marvel comic books are no longer published, then .. . . what might be some of the ramifications?

----------

I read through your questions, Dan -- your guess is as good as mine! :)

I'll be happy if Marvel starts publishing stories about these characters again...

Edited by Nathan Greno on 03 September 2009 at 9:46pm

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Ah. Apparently Jeff Smith was an illustrator for Disney Adventures magazine.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version