Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

Q's for JB & Nathan Greno,

Note: I have no axe to grind here. I'm just curious what your thoughts are.

If (these are hypothetical questions) Marvel publishing is eventually shut down, and thus Marvel comic books are no longer published, then . . . . what might be some of the ramifications?

1. Will this drive the price of back issue comics (Golden, Silver, Bronze, even Modern) up or down?

2. Would this be good for DC comics?  How about Image, Dark Horse, etc.?

3. What options would current employees of Marvel be able to pursue?  I am thinking specifically of artists, authors, inkers, letterers, etc.

4. Other ramifications?

Thanks!  :-)

Edited by Dan Walsh on 03 September 2009 at 3:23pm
Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

Dan Walsh -- who is the Chuck from MHC you quoted on page 13 on this thread???

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Millions of dollars is still millions of dollars, no matter how much a corporation makes.  Down and Dirty Pictures by Peter Biskind shows the Weinsteins and Disney fighting for every last cent, from competitors, and between each other.  Even with films grossing hundreds of millions of dollars, with low costs and enormous profitability, the execs weren't about to leave even tens of thousands of dollars on the table if there was anything they could do about it.  Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg were personally nickeling and diming the Weinsteins in the Nineties. I can't imagine their successors waving off a few million in profits, because they can save costs and make less money some other way.  Where's the advantage in that, short or long term?

Somebody with a vaster knowledge of high finance would know better than I, are Disney known for that kind of predatory behavior? 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

Tim O'Neill,

My post was edited on pg. 13.  Chuck Rozanski is the president of Mile High Comics.

Edited by Dan Walsh on 03 September 2009 at 3:42pm

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

D'oh! I missed your post! Thanks, Dan.

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

No worries, my friend!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

The thumbs-up or thumbs-down on Marvel publishing as it stands is really a function of how does Disney expect to protect its new brand and keep these characters valuable.

Owning Hawkeye and the Vision and any of the other characters not already out on perpetual loan to other movie studios doesn't really mean much without an interested audience clamoring for them.

Marvel in its current iteration isn't doing much good for the properties beyond its loyal 150,000 readers.

What makes Disney believe they will someday return more than $4 Billion?  Especially when the vast majority of the characters are already licensed out to other studios?

If Marvel has been grossing around $150 million a year for the last few years (as posted above), I'll be skeptical that Marvel was worth the investment until Disney does something really clever with whatever it is they've bought.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

Isn't it possible that Disney would seek to "buy back" the movie rights for Spider-Man and X-Men for the potential of even greater gains? They certainly have the resources to pull that off.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

Mike Bunge wrote:
ry this analogy. Marvel cancelled THE DEFENDERS in the 80s, not because it wasn't making money but because they wanted to shift editorial resources and characters to a new title X-FACTOR.

Exactly. Another example is in 1978 when Warner's ordered DC to dramatically cut back their line and curtail expansion plans (the "DC Implosion"). Though sales had been dropping steadily for several years, the books cancelled were all making a profit at the time.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 03 September 2009 at 4:53pm

Ian Moss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

anything is possible -- but why not let Sony make a movie, spending hundreds of millions to do so -- and then just sit back and enjoy the profits from Spider-Man products sold due to the new movie (not necessarily movie tie-ins)

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

Re: Disney wanting to win the boy audience. There ain't no boys reading Marvel anymore ! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

Nathan Greno, do me a favor, grow up will you?
Your unnecessary agressive response to my post is also unjustified.
It  is obvious that people are sharing facts and opinions here, if you need clarification if we are presententing facts or opinions, just ask.

It is my OPINION that sonner or later, Disney will close, or make significant changes to the Marvel publishing business. The true value of Marvel is not in the comic book business and that information is clear in  Marvel's Financial Statements.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version