Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Importantly, Marvel's a print publisher actually breaking away from the rest of print industry, operating at an incredible profit margin of 40%."

By licensing the characters out, you could achieve a profit margin of probably twice that.

Mike

Back to Top profile | search

Ian Moss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

DC is owned by a conglomerate every bit as large as Disney, but they haven't stopped publishing comic books.

••

Again,the analogy fails. Warner already had a publishing arm. Disney doesn't.Keeping Marvel Comics going would require the bean counters at Disneyto learn a whole new skill set.

Anyway -- I used to buy my DVDs at Tower Records. Tower was bought out -- and shut down, profitable or not.

Big Business is a different world from the one we know.

---------------------

JB, I agree that Big Business is a different world than comics, however, as a "big business" guy, myself, I've got to pull you up on your examples here - though I am not trying to detract from the over all point you were trying to make with the examples, that being:  Businesses do often get shut down, while profitable, if they don't blend well with a new company mission AND Disney is not well known for publishing super hero comic books with their other published material.

However, Tower Records filed bankruptcy multiple times in the year (or so) leading up to their closure.  I recall reading a case-study on them during my MBA courses, they had something like 13 straight quarters of losses.

And, Disney has a HUGE publishing arm, they even have publishing segments aimed directly at children.   Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) produces over 400 magazine titles a month in 85 languages and sold in over 75 countries - over 100 Million readers every month.  The majority of the work published feature characters licensed from the non-theme park parts of the Disney empire.

If anything -- I'd be expecting MORE published Marvel material in more outlets with more readers that ever in the history of the company.

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
Again,the analogy fails. Warner already had a publishing arm. Disney doesn't.Keeping Marvel Comics going would require the bean counters at Disneyto learn a whole new skill set.

Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) is the world's largest publisher of children’s books and magazines, reaching more than 100 million readers each month in 75 countries. Disney's imprints include Disney Libri, Hyperion Books for Children, Jump at the Sun, Disney Press, and Disney Editions.

http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/overview.html

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
"Importantly, Marvel's a print publisher actually breaking away from the rest of print industry, operating at an incredible profit margin of 40%."

By licensing the characters out, you could achieve a profit margin of probably twice that.

By licensing the characters out to other publishers your profit margins certainly do soar, since you have virtually no overhead involved, but your profits shrink since you're sharing them with someone else. The reason to license this stuff out is if you don't have a comic publishing operation of your own. It's why you give Star Trek to IDW or Alien to Dark Horse. Because they are already equipped to do comics, whereas you are not, and it would be too costly for you to get equipped to do it. Better to go with an established publisher already in the business who will pay you for the privilege of publishing your stuff. You just say, "do it," and collect some money.

Marvel comics is already the most successful comic book publisher on Earth. They'd likely make less money farming out the work to a compnay that's not nearly as successful as Marvel.

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't know why that posted in Italics, sorry for the error.

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) is the world's largest publisher of children’s books and magazines, reaching more than 100 million readers each month in 75 countries. Disney's imprints include Disney Libri, Hyperion Books for Children, Jump at the Sun, Disney Press, and Disney Editions."

Then what interest could they possibly have to fool around with the competively tiny and disfunctional Direct Market?

Mike

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

Marvel purchase shows Disney’s boy troubles

Channels have had a tough time appealing to males as much as females

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32663578/ns/business-media_biz/

Chris Geary
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

If anything -- I'd be expecting MORE published Marvel material in more outlets with more readers that ever in the history of the company.

--

But what would that content be? Given current trends (and the unfortunate stigma that comics have as being 'just for kids') a lot of places that would stock a Disney product might not stock a Marvel product.

If I were someone with any say at Disney, and decided that the content should stay as is, I would seriously consider stopping monthly titles and just go straight to the Trade Paperback/Graphic Novel route.   If I decided that the content needs to be changed (which it does) then I would change it, and carry on with the monthlies for about a year or so, then make a decision regarding the validity of the format. And being that Steve Jobs is involved with Disney and Apple, I'd look at getting anything I could (Old and New) onto iTunes.

Marvel as it stands needs a serious overhaul, and maybe Disney are just the right people to do it.

Whatever will happen, the characters will outlive us all, Stan, Jack and Co, were too good at their job, but whether their adventures will be read about in a manner that we're used to, remains to be seen.

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

"By licensing the characters out to other publishers your profit margins certainly do soar, since you have virtually no overhead involved, but your profits shrink since you're sharing them with someone else."

And has been pointed out, the profits generated by Marvel's comic publishing are not going to impress anyone at Disney.

Try this analogy.  Marvel cancelled THE DEFENDERS in the 80s, not because it wasn't making money but because they wanted to shift editorial resources and characters to a new title X-FACTOR.  Disney could make the same decision to shift Marvel's resources away from comic publishing to more profitable ventures, no matter what the profit margin of the comics may be.

Mike

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 10  

Marcio Ferreira: Disneywill do what they do best: License. They will "offer" the Marvelpublishing business to the big publishinghouses and the highest bidwins. Disney will have Royalties to show intheir balance sheets and anyconcern about "head count" or managing apublish House. Maybe the Paniniwill license Marvel heores and willstart producing new histories. Andthe only people that will complainare grown up men in their 30'/40's.

In other words, Marvel, as we knew, is gone.

--------------

ME: Really? The Marvel we knew IS gone! Wow!!! Marcio, how long have you had a seat on Disney's Board of Directors? Please, give us more of your insider information!

---------------

Marcio Ferreira:
Nathan Greno, I will use JB words to answer your post:
"Stop thinking like comicbook fans. You can be damn sure Disney isn't."

----------

Marcio, use your head.

Show me ONE post in this thread where I was "thinking like a comic book fan". You won't find one. JB's quote has nothing to do with me.

Your post bothered me because you are posting YOUR OPINION -- not fact -- yet you post with authority!!  "DISNEY WILL DO THIS!" "MARVEL WILL BECOME THAT!" -- how the hell do you know, Marcio?

If you have FACTS you'd like to share with us -- great! Otherwise, you are posting OPINIONS. Remember that.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

Whatever this new device that Apple is supposed to be releasing in the next few months is, it may be a great digital device for reading comics.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

Personally I would love to see Marvel shut down for good. They havebeen beating a dead horse for over 10 years.. time for them to goaway.... Like someone elese said Disney did such a GREAT JOB with theMuppets franchise they are just everywhere.....<rolls eyes

Eric my son just got an internship with Marvel, with the hopes of getting a job there. Please don't hope for that, we want to quit paying for stuff.

I am going to hope for the best, I have always hoped comics would be more kid friendly and more available to them, so if Disney has any influence on that I think it will be good.  Disney is putting out some really great stuff lately and companies that they own are still able to do their own thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version