Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

Who is "MHC", Dan?

Back to Top profile | search

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

A mexican cartoon, in spanish, about the Disney/Marvel topic...

I have no problem reading Spanish but the letters are so little that I had to make a bit of an effort.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

"I believe that all of this changes with the new Disney ownership, as Disney clearly has very deep financial pockets, and does not need to squeeze every last penny out of the periodicals business in order to fund new films."

I think the concern is that Disney will have no particular interest in maintaining Marvel publishing, whether in the Direct Market or more generalized distribution.  As a stand alone company, Marvel had an institutional bias toward staying a comic book publisher.  If anything, Disney has shown a bias against comics.

Mike

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

Disney will do what they do best: License.

They will "offer" the Marvel publishing business to the big publishing houses and the highest bid wins. Disney will have Royalties to show in their balance sheets and any concern about "head count" or managing a publish House. Maybe the Panini will license Marvel heores and will start producing new histories. And the only people that will complain are grown up men in their 30'/40's.
In other words, Marvel, as we knew, is gone.

Jason Bitael
Byrne Robotics Member
AKA Mike Keane

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 5  

I just read that McFarlane Toys secured the license to make toys based on Disney's "Prince of Persia". How weird would it be to see them getting the  license to produce toys of Marvel characters?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

Marcio Ferreira: Disney will do what they do best: License. They will "offer" the Marvel publishing business to the big publishinghouses and the highest bid wins. Disney will have Royalties to show intheir balance sheets and any concern about "head count" or managing apublish House. Maybe the Panini will license Marvel heores and willstart producing new histories. And the only people that will complainare grown up men in their 30'/40's.

In other words, Marvel, as we knew, is gone.

--------

Really? The Marvel we knew IS gone! Wow!!! Marcio, how long have you had a seat on Disney's Board of Directors? Please, give us more of your insider information!

Edited by Nathan Greno on 02 September 2009 at 7:57pm

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

The Prince of Persia license is still owned and managed by it's creator, as far as I know.

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

Not sure if any good can come of this...I guess time will tell

Jason Bitael
Byrne Robotics Member
AKA Mike Keane

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

I still can't get the hyperlink button to work for me, but here is a link on the announcement about McFarlane:

http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/11479.shtml

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

The bad... Disney is the evil empire, yadda yadda.  The good - Marvel might get their act together and deliver a decent product again, or not.  It's not good now, so I don't see how this can be worse.  I do feel for those fan boys who like prostitutes on the covers of each book, and the bloodthirsty geeks who require "realism" in their comics.  haha

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

Laren Farmer wrote:
Which makes me hope that they'll have no hesitation in firing him at once.  Not because they know and object to his editorial policies, but simply because the want to install their own team.

If the publishing branch of Marvel was something that was considered very important, that probably would be true (like when Warner's bought DC and fired Carmine Infantino).  But Marvel Comics are a niche product sold to a very small niche market.  Most likely low, low on the totem pole of importance as far as Disney is concerned.  The guy who is in charge of Marvel Comics Underoos is probably more likely to be fired sooner, because his product is higher-profile and more widely distributed.  My guess is the publishing arm will stay under the radar for quite awhile.  I hope I'm wrong, but that's my guess.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 02 September 2009 at 9:09pm

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
I have no problem reading Spanish but the letters are so little that I had to make a bit of an effort.

Here is much larger for those who can read Spanish and don't want the eye strain.

"Latveria's Emperor's New Groove" made me laugh.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version