Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

The greatest comic company with the library of the greatest comic character library and history has been purchased by the biggest multi-media empire in the world.  We almost lost them to bankruptcy in the late 1990s and now they are guaranteed to be immortal with the biggest exposure ever.  Only online comic fans can be negative and see that as the end of the world.

My prediction: The first comic property to be dusted off and given the Disney treatment will be Prime, the Captain Marvel knock-off published my Malibu in the 1990s and bought and placed in publishing limbo by Marvel.  It's perfect for kids and it can be their Superman.  It will also not piss off the fanboys because the character isn't "a Marvel".

QUOTE:
May bring an end to the Joe Q. era (at least I hope).

No one at Disney even knows who Joe Quesada is.

QUOTE:
DC Comics, in the same boat as Marvel where declining sales and interest is concerned, functions as R&D for Warner Brothers.

This one is a joke.  DC Comics is the R&D for Warner Brothers for new concepts?!?  Is that why DC publishes at least 5 different Superman comics and at least 5 different Batman comics every month?  Almost everything that DC puts out are characters or titles that are 40+ years old.  If DC was R&D, then they wouldn't waste effort on so many Superman and Batman comics because they already famous.  They would put their top talent on Booster Gold, Stars and STRIPE and Aztek, put their marketing departement behind them and push them to the moon so they can get over with the public.  But they don't do that because they ultimately care about sales and their iconic properties doing well.  That's the opposite of what R&D is about.

How many new characters and concepts that originated in the comics in the past 20 years have made it to the movies and cartoons, and how long did it take?  It's more like the cartoons and movies are R&D for the comics, not the other way around.  (Even though that doesn't make sense financially).  The most original Batman villain to come out in the past 15 years, Harley Quinn, originated in the cartoon and then appeared in the comic.  Batman wore a black costume in the 1989 movie and then wore won in the comic.  Superman had a kid in the 2006 movie and then had one in the comic.

QUOTE:
Yeah, 'cause all the boys stayed away in droves from a little film called CARS.  And THE INCREDIBLES.  And PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.  And TOY STORY.

Yup, Disney had nothing for boys until Marvel came along.

This is another one.  Little boys like CARS and THE INCREDIBLES.  You'd get your ass kicked in the fourth grade in some neighborhoods if you wore a Mickey Mouse shirt to school.  Those kids are into Spider-Man and Wolverine and Disney just tapped into that fat vein.

QUOTE:
Disney is counting on the current Superhero fad in movies to continue.  Sorry, folks.  It ain't gonna last.  People will, if they haven't already, grow tired of superhero films and Disney will be stuck.

Yet another one. The current Superhero "fad" in movies has been going for ten years now and its stronger then ever.  We just came off Dark Knight being the second biggest movie of all time and winning an Oscar!!!  Spider-Man is one of the biggest movie franchises around today and Iron Man is well on its way to being one.  Don't forget about Wolverine and the Incredible Hulk as recent successes too.  Superhero movies have become the new "Action / Sci-Fi" genre and Disney has been trying to tap into that one for some time too.

QUOTE:
If that's the case, Wolverine is over, folks.  No way Disney allows a character with the same name threaten to cut people in the movies, and be in an all-ages comic.

Wolverine isn't necessarily over, he'll just go back to the way he was portrayed in the 1980's X-Men comics, unlike the gratuitous butcher he is now.  Fine by me.

QUOTE:
You do realize Disney owns Miramax........right? (Reffering to Pulp Fiction)

Apples and oranges.  There will never be someone dressed like Vincent Vega taking photos with kids in Disney World.  There will never be a Vincent Vega schoolbag in a Disney Store.  Any characters that do any of those two things (which is probably the entire Marvel catalog) will be under Disney's protection.

QUOTE:
As much as I miss spinner racks, too, they certainly ain't coming back, what with the OCD, anal-retentive mentality that exploded into the minds of fandom once the comic collecting craze took off in the '80s. 

The "It's Near-Mint, or It's Crap" zombies were just another nail in the coffin when it came to simply enjoying comics for what they were.

I don't think its OCD or anal-retentive to pay $3.99 for something and want it to not look like someone sat on it!

Edited by Alan Zafran on 01 September 2009 at 1:12pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

======================

I need to work for and live in the magical world of Disney.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

Jozef Brandt: A friend of mine works at Disney and said the plans he's heard wouldlet Marvel's Movie Studio at least, continue on its own as long as itremains profitable.  If they start to slip, then the Disney-typeswill come in.

--------------

What does he do for the company, Jozef?

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

WIRED: Ten Movies We're Dreading Now That Disney Owns Marvel

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

======================

Which makes me hope that they'll have no hesitation in firing him at once.  Not because they know and object to his editorial policies, but simply because the want to install their own team. 

The point being...he'd be gone, 

I'm not holding my breath and I'm not expecting it, but the idea that this purchase could somehow bring the "real" Marvel back is such a nice thought.

Edited by Laren Farmer on 01 September 2009 at 1:42pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

Kevin Brown: As I said elsewhere.....  I'm curious to see how all thosemen who work for Marvel in any way, whether freelancer or not, willadhere to Disney's no facial hair policy. The only exception being aneatly trimmed moustache ala Walt Disney.

-------------

I've had a goatee for 10 years... I guess they just haven't had time to fire me yet...

Yes, that picture was taken of me at work.

If you're going to post with authority, you may want to get your facts straight.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm glad we actually have a Disney employee here to cut through all the bullshit being spread! 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

My knife isn't big enough.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

Kevin was obviously kidding!!

QUOTE:
Which makes me hope that they'll have no hesitation in firing him at once.

They better rehire him as an artist and force him to draw if they do so!

Edited by Martin Redmond on 01 September 2009 at 1:59pm

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

After reading all the press stuff, I am pretty excited about it and if it brings comics back to more kid friendly stuff, I am all for it.

I LOVE Disney World and having a Marvel type Land there would be, beyond cool.

This makes a really nice balance for Disney toy lines too, with all the "girl" characters, having the Marvel line will be great for the boys.

Edited to add: Speaking as a mom here so it's not a creepy hit on line, Nathan you look so young and handsome.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 01 September 2009 at 2:19pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

Stan Lee's views on the deal:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32645353/ns/business-media_biz/

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

Regarding the Tigger Eeyore thing...

" Oh bother......wulph...urpph.. Wrrrraaaalllphhftch !! Gouuuralllftch!!....Guhk!..cough cough... " said Rabbit.

Edited by Emery Calame on 01 September 2009 at 2:39pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version