Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 1  

What I find encouraging about this is that Disney understand their product and audience. When they decided to do more mainstream material they developed Touchstone. When they went to more independant fare, Miramax fit the bill. this could be good provided they look at the history of characters. They could well start to change the type of material we see in comics to something that a lot of people here are more attracted to.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Daggett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 2  

I have yet to find any definitive info about what Disney plans to do with the Marvel characters, comics ot their movies so, until then, I'm holding my breath and hoping for the best.

Back to Top profile | search

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 3  

Thank you Emery, Stéphane and Michael.

I am confident that in the end it will be good for the characters. As for the fans, the pros, the readers,...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Horn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 4  

For some reason I can't get the image of Joe Quesada wearing Mickey Mouse ears out of my head.  lol

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 5  

Hey maybe they'll bring Peter Porker The Spectacular Spider-Ham into the Disney universe. Or, maybe we'll get the showdown we've always wanted to see, Donald Duck vs. Howard the Duck. Ha ha!

Greg Loboda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 6  

At least now Captain America can have a sidekick that isn't supposed to be dead - Ducky!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 7  

For those saying that they want the male version of the Hannah Montana audience and that therefore they'll tone down the blood and gore...its been a long time since you were teenage boys, huh?

When I was a teenage boy reading comics, I was totally into Wolverine and the Punisher for the carnage.  The only DC Comics I read at the time were Batman, and that's because I'd gotten Killing Joke and Death in the Family.  I still remember how awesome I thought that Havok/Wolverine painted mini-series they did was because in the first issue Wolverine stuck his claws through the back of a guy's head and one of his eyeballs came out the front impaled on a claw.

I really got in touch with this playing the Wolverine: Origins game on PS3 a few months ago.  Its a slaughter-fest, gory as heck, and it kept occuring to me, 'Man, if this game had come out when I was 14....'

Graphic violence and sexual content, I hate to tell you guys, is aimed at teenage boys.  30+ers who are into it are immature.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 8  

Steve De Young wrote:
Graphic violence and sexual content, I hate to tell you guys, is aimed at teenage boys.  30+ers who are into it are immature.

Oh please Steve.  I like a good shoot 'em up action film which, by the way, are normally also filled with sexual content.  Those aren't aimed at teenage boys with their R rating.  They're aimed at adult males, many decidedly over thirty years of age.  I still enjoy some of the more graphic westerns I grew up on, definitely not aimed at kids but I was able to see them anyway because my dad loved them.  As to thirty year olds and older who are into sexual content being immature?  You must not be much older than 30 to say that without a big old sarcastic smile on your face.

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 9  

Many of my thoughts on the matter have been touched on in the thread already (but then, most thoughts on it have been touched on).

So, I'll just add this, regarding thoughts on whether or not Disney will call for an adjustment of content to make Marvel's books more "family friendly:"

The Disney-owned ABC Family channel, a "family friendly" channel, has a hit "family" series about the sexual shenanigans of high school freshmen and sophomores.  Make of it what you will.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 10  

Here's the million dollar question.

Would JB return to Marvel IF (that's a really big IF) Disney actually forces Marvel to change the content in their comics to be more suitable for and appealing to all ages (layered stories that can be enjoyed by readers of various ages that do not talk down to the readers) would JB return (or at the very least, consider it) to Marvel?

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 11  

I won't let my kids watch anything on ABC Family without knowing what it is first. I keep tabs on what they are watching anyway, but if it's Disney or Nick, no big deal.  That Family channel has a lot of programming that I'd consider at least PG-13 for subject matter.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 12  

Ryan, you are a good father.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version