Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

Licensing the production they will see the money up front (licensing fee) and probably still make money with the royalties if the book is sucessful. All profit, not a single dime spent.

---------------

Marvel Entertainment's publishing division is a distant third behind it's licensing and film divisions.  But that publishing division does make money.  According to Marvel Entertainment's SEC filings, the publishing division accounted for $47.3 million in operating income out of a total of $368.0 million for all divisions (or 12.85%).  The problem with licensing Marvel's publishing division rests in who would pay for it?  Disney certainly doesn't want to forgo an already established (and industry-leading!) division's profit (especially after a $4 billion purchase) to maybe license publishing to someone else.  Nobody's going to spend $$$ on a Marvel publishing license for what Marvel publishing is already making in profit (and Disney's not going to make a move that decreases profit).

Edit: Yes, licensing is (practically) all profit.  It's just not as much profit in this circumstance.

Edited by Robert Young on 31 August 2009 at 8:56pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Gillmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

2 Words...Disney Zombies!

Orlando Teuta Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

Mike, I know, but those two aren't Mickey or Donald bathed in blood.  Punisher, for all intent and purposes, is still a Marvel/Disney character.  Add to the fact the public perception that comics are for kids and the fact that Disney's statement seems to suggest they are going for the male teen market (the male version of the Hannah Montana fan) and I have to wonder if we'll see Mavel characters in scenes like this:

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

As I said elsewhere.....  I'm curious to see how all those men who work for Marvel in any way, whether freelancer or not, will adhere to Disney's no facial hair policy. The only exception being a neatly trimmed moustache ala Walt Disney.

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

So my big question to John Byrne is:

Will this (the purchase of Marvel by Disney) affect in any way our ability to continue to commission Marvel characters from you?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Mike, I know, but those two aren't Mickey or Donald bathed in blood.  Punisher, for all intent and purposes, is still a Marvel/Disney character.  Add to the fact the public perception that comics are for kids and the fact that Disney's statement seems to suggest they are going for the male teen market (the male version of the Hannah Montana fan) and I have to wonder if we'll see Mavel characters in scenes like this:
Might not be a bad thing if we don't. Superhero comics have drifted a little too far into the blood and gore territory.

Edited by Mike Norris on 31 August 2009 at 9:25pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh, and since this is from a "Disney" film, I don't see why not.

Mike, unlike the Punisher, Pulp Fiction wasn't created in an all ages superhero comic aimed at kids/all ages.

Remember, up until Quesada became EIC, characters like Wolverine,Punisher,Moon Knight,and Ghost Rider were aimed at a wide all ages audience. Punisher even appeared in several episodes of the 90's Spider-Man cartoon.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Uh-oh! I hear a cracking sound. Is that the Internet? I suppose now we can look forward to soon- to be classic teamups like Howard/Donald Ducks, Incredibles/Fantastic Four, Monsters Inc./Hulk, and Defenders/Supergoof vs. The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and the Beagle Boys?

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

Just had a thought. Doesn't this potentially bode ill for Boom! Studios, who have quite the lion's share of Disney licenses?

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 31 August 2009 at 9:54pm

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

I've really enjoyed Boom!'s Incredibles.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

Hmmm now maybe there can be a LOST comic book series, that would make a lot of people happy.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Mike, unlike the Punisher, Pulp Fiction wasn't created in an all ages superhero comic aimed at kids/all ages.

Remember, up until Quesada became EIC, characters like Wolverine,Punisher,Moon Knight,and Ghost Rider were aimed at a wide all ages audience. Punisher even appeared in several episodes of the 90's Spider-Man cartoon.

True, but it might take a while for the suits at Disney to notice or care. Or they might not care since the Disney name isnt on the cover ( Just as the Disney name wasn't on Pulp Fiction) and thats "normal" for comics.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version