Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Completely based on nothing, I could see them with an all-ages comic line, to sell in theme parks and Disney stores and with toys and to grandparents, and a separate publication wing for "mature" content, like they do with the movies.
If that's the case, Wolverine is over, folks.  No wayDisney allows a character with the same name threaten to cut people inthe movies, and be in an all-ages comic."

I don't follow you.  If you can see Disney keeping a "mature line" of comics, then why would Wolverine (a 30+ year old character, and now one of the most recognizable on the planet) be "over?"

Disney is spending money to make money.  They'll find a way to keep Wolverine.  They're not that completely Pollyanna.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

I can honestly say that I'm surprised something like this didn't happen a long time ago.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

I wonder if Disney is going to push to have Marvel comics in their Disney stores, as well as DisneyLand and Disney World.  That'll certainly increase sales for them....

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Yup, Disney had nothing for boys until Marvel came along.'

I think what Disney is missing for boys was AFTER boys out-grow Pixar (which is hard to imagine as most of us adults seem to love Pixar). There is this big gap in Disney's Brand that is now filled by the non-animation shows for girls, but does not seem to have the same "gap-filler" for boys. (Is that tween? I have no idea...) What are boys into instead? Not sure. Wrestling? Super heroes? Violent stuff? My boy is 2, and I draw Nick books for the young ones, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Heck, SpongeBob captures a broader range of older boys and girls then any Disney license. Could you imagine how cool it would be if Disney was able to somehow make boys as crazy about Marvel characters as girls are over Hannah-Jonas-whatever? (Is that even possible?)

So, yes, for a certain important age group of boys, I do think Disney has a gap that Marvel comics should fill. Now, the shame is that Marvel COMICS aren't for this mysterious age group (9-13?), so I hope there is some change in the actual comics, but the characters and the movies should hopefully help Disney get this demographic... Who knows? One thing for me is that I'm all for changing the majority of main character super-hero comics to entertain a broader age group, and I hope that's what they do...

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think the main engine for this deal is movies - Disney is looking at Warner Bros and realizing the benefit to having an established stable of characters. It's funny - to me, the DC characters would seem much more at home at Disney while Marvel characters would fit my impression of Warner Bros.

It doesn't hurt that "Iron Man" was so excellent and showed that relatively unfamiliar characters could be successfully translated to the screen. It's a smart move on Disney's part. i know they will be aggressive in ensuring the publishing is profitable. I just home they show some vision in making it all ages so they can grow some new fans.

I understand Disney has trouble reaching boys 9-14 - a demo that Carton Network's "Star Wars: Clone Wars" is currently doing very well with. Marvel could do this kind of detailed animation for TV with the Marvel characters and clean up.

Lots of possibilities - I'm optimistic what with Iger in charge. I would not have been as optimistic if Michael Eisner were there.

F. Ron Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's not hard to imagine a spinner rack in one of those old-timey Main Street U.S.A. shops selling replica 1940s style comics of Captain America, The Sub Mariner and the Human Torch. Of course they'll erase all the cigarettes, rewrite all the racially sensitive dialog and re-draw the equally offensive ethnic faces. Golly, it'll be just like grampa's old five and dime only more better! And the comics will sell for $10 instead of a dime.

Edited by F. Ron Miller on 31 August 2009 at 8:11pm

Bill De Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

"I don't follow you.  If you can see Disney keeping a "mature line"of comics, then why would Wolverine (a 30+ year old character, and nowone of the most recognizable on the planet) be "over?"

Disney is spending money to make money.  They'll find a way to keep Wolverine.  They're not that completely Pollyanna."

Right, right, I meant "Wolverine as we know it now" is over: chopping people up in videogames AND also on Nicklelodeon and on underwear for all I know.

You think Grandma and Grandpa are going to buy a "hero" with claws and berserker rages (well, they used to be rages) to give to the kids?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

"It's not hard to imagine a spinner rack in one of those old-timey Main Street U.S.A. shops selling replica 1940s style comics..."

As much as I miss spinner racks, too, they certainly ain't coming back, what with the OCD, anal-retentive mentality that exploded into the minds of fandom once the comic collecting craze took off in the '80s.  How many comics got bent forward in those racks, before the Direct Market made them obsolete?

The "It's Near-Mint, or It's Crap" zombies were just another nail in the coffin when it came to simply enjoying comics for what they were.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 31 August 2009 at 8:28pm

Orlando Teuta Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

Interesting news.  One of the things I do wonder if Marvel continues to publish comics, will they be able to continue to cater to the same audience.  Would a page like this be part of the Disney brand?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Does this mean Howard the Duck can take off his pants again?

Oh, and since this is from a "Disney" film, I don't see why not.

Edited by Mike Norris on 31 August 2009 at 8:43pm

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

Orlando: Would a page like this be part of the Disney brand?

--------

You do realize Disney owns Miramax........right?

Some of the posts in this thread really puzzle me!

Edited by Nathan Greno on 31 August 2009 at 8:40pm

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Some of the posts in this thread really puzzle me!

It's not just this thread. The whole of the internetz is like that today.

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version