Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Comic books should be like bubble gum. Bubble gum is made primarily for kids. We all know this. Yet that fact doesn't stop anyone of any age who enjoys chewing bubble gum to enjoy it. Today's comics are like gin and tonic flavored bubble gum. Most kids won't like it. Most adults won't like it either but the few that do like it probably REALLY like it and cling to it and fight for their right to have it until of course something else comes along. Thus the market shrinks and gin and tonic flavored bubble gum struggles in the marketplace. Today's comics are like gin and tonic flavored bubble gum. If Disney can make Marvel like bubble gum (again) I will be happy. Better a 10 year old kid finds something new and amazing in a Spider-Man comic than me. Ill be glad for both of us.

If more people in the industry had this attitude about "mainstream" comics the industry would be in a better place. Couldn't agree more.

I don't think Disney will risk shutting down the publishing arm. This isn't Valiant or CrossGen, this is the most successful (more or less) comic book publisher historically. The PR backlash could be severe. What would be the payoff anyway? I understand that the money Marvel makes from the comics is a drop in the bucked for a company like Disney, but isn't that still better than nothing at all?

What I'm going to be interested in seeing is how this will affect Disney's handling of Disney comics reprints. Will we get affordable Carl Bark's collections published in Marvel trades? Will Disney put more resources into Marvel's lines that are aimed at younger readers?

Another positive with this deal, potentially, is that Marvel no longer as an excuse that they don't have the "deep pockets" DC has--thanks to WB--to have lines like Vertigo and to do more "vanity projects."

I'm of the opinion that the comic book in trade format is in no danger of ever going out of style anymore than books are. It's the monthlies that have a questionable future from in my view.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

Back in the 90s, when Marvel stock was pennies a share…

••

…I bought 1000 shares. I wonder if I still have them?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

I don't think Disney will risk shutting down the publishing arm. This isn't Valiant or CrossGen, this is the most successful (more or less) comic book publisher historically. The PR backlash could be severe.

••

When I am introduced at parties as a "comicbook artist" the most common response from civilians is "Are those still being published?"

What "PR backlash" do you imagine?

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

I was thinking more along the lines of the small fanbase being amplified in might by internet rants towards Disney and Disney properties. Yeah, it's a stretch...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 5  

Unlike Marvel and DC, I doubt Disney pays ANY attention to the internet!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Disney Netbot has reported that CBR message board poster WolvieRulz666 has made disparaging remarks about Mickey's performance in Fantasia and Goofy's sexual orientation. Advised action?"

"Eliminate him..."

Ron Sluyter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 7  

The CNN Money headline:

Pow! Bam! Are takeovers back?

Will there ever be a comic related story or movie review where the 60's Batman series is not invoked ??

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

Back in the 90s, when Marvel stock was pennies a share…

••

…I bought 1000 shares. I wonder if I still have them?

Maybe *that's* what those cheques in odd amounts are for that you've mentioned getting in the past!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
The CNN Money headline:Pow! Bam! Are takeovers back?

Will there ever be a comic related story or movie review where the 60's Batman series is not invoked ??

Never. Because being a wiz at news/finance destroys any creativity or artist ability one might have had.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Ron SluyterThe CNN Money headline:Pow! Bam! Are takeovers back?

I don't understand the problem. Comics use sound effects, the Batman show didn't create them from thin air.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ian Moss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

best news ever

BEST

(hopefully this means TRON will make it into the Avengers !!)

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

Kurt Busiek:

"I see the fan community already salivating over Pixar X-Men (has Pixardone any adaptations, guys?) or dreading Hannah Montana joining theAvengers," said comics writer Kurt Busiek. "Or hoping that Disney willimmediately fire Joe Quesada and reinstate the kind of comics they useto love back when Disney had no interest in Marvel. Or dreading thatDisney will 'wimpify' Marvel. Or exulting that now Marvel can be likeVertigo and publish comics that don't make money, because they canspend Disney's money without expecting to make a profit. And a lot ofother things that don't seem likely, either.

"My reaction: This will change things. Whether it'll change things in agood way, in a bad way or (most likely) in a mixture of both, it'llchange things," he said. "How? No way to tell yet, so there's not muchpoint in drawing conclusions of any kind. I hope we have RogerLangridge "Muppet Show" comics for a long time to come, though.

"I do recall, back in the '80s, people at Marvel used to say theywanted to be Disney for older audiences. Well, I guess now they are,"Busiek said. "What that means, though, remains to be seen.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090831-marvel-disney-reactio n.html

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version